Music DVD'S any recommendations?

DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I have recently ordered a few music DVDS and have no idea whats out there on DVD. I ordered Wattstax DVD and Maze live in New Orleans DVD. I have both on lp and I am looking forward to ordering other live DVD's or music docos any titles worth checking out.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Soul to Soul
    The Last Waltz
    Fania All Stars In Africa/Our Latin Thing/Salsa
    One Night with Blue Note

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    There's quite a lot. Anything specific you're looking for?

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    There's quite a lot. Anything specific you're looking for?

Live concerts (funk/soul/Jazz) or documentaries (already have freshest kids and Scratch) even music related movies like Latcho Drom. The Fania DVDS I think I will look out for. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks in Advance

• The Can DVD is like 50 bucks but if you like them at all its totally worth it.
    It has a concert and several dcoumentaries. The concert is worth the price by itself, because they aren't playing anything from albums, and to see them change it up live is mindblowing.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    That WATTSTAX DVD is utterly off the chain. As is that one chick in the red miniskirt getting her breakdown on in the stands. Thank you WP for picturing her in your last issue.

Our Latin Thing/Salsa

BTW - Thanks for the hookup Birdman!

• Gil Scott-Hereon - "Black Wax"

You must see this.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Can anyone comment on that Fela set that just came out??

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I would also highly recommend this:

Actual performances with all the band members including snippets of interviews sandwiched between Ra's philosophical teachings makes for a delicious and very enjoyable viewing experience.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I would also highly recommend this:

Actual performances with all the band members including snippets of interviews sandwiched between Ra's philosophical teachings makes for a delicious and very enjoyable viewing experience.

also:

and "Mystery, Mr. Ra"-french documentary

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    DOPE AVATAR!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    In addition to that Sun Ra dvd, I would also recommend his movie "Space is the Place." After I watched that with a 102 temperature, Sun Ra appeared before me in a dream and explained how I should be making music. It didn't help.

Also, for jazz I would recommend any Miles Davis and Charles Mingus documentaries. Watching Mingus shoot up his apartment was a highlight of my life.

• This DVD contains this record spot the Hook-Up and I hit the other day!

They interveiw him several times throughout the movie.

• Does Bono EVER[/b] shut the fuck up?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Though I'm not a huge Spike Jonz fan I think the short film about Fatlip is worth the price of his DVD compilation (if you can find it used). That shit had be trippin' for days. Fatlip talks about how the whole time he and Pharccyde were doing their Cali thing he was thinkin' it was sort of whack and how he wished they sounded more like Queensbridge rappers. Had me questioning my whole early high school musical experience.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    i enjoyed this one recently:

'99 documentary of mainly Stax musicians. very entertaining.

• Does Bono EVER[/b] shut the fuck up?

I don't think so. They could do a documentary on Josh and probablly get him and Springsteen for interveiws!

• Can anyone comment on that Fela set that just came out??

I copped it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Def recommended.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Gil Scott-Hereon - "Black Wax"

You must see this.

Plaese to explain?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

the priceless moment is when monk does a take and then gets pissed that the studio engineers didnt record it