south american grading unappreciation

davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
won this black sugar on ebay a while back. first off the grading is weird, okay that's fine 7 1/2 out of 10. okay i kind of get it maybe vg to vg+. i get the shit and it skips on multiple songs two songs won't even play all the way through. pretty much constant scratchiness. it's fucking worthless for me or to sell as well. i guess i could get like 10 bucks for it something. i paid about 80 for it. she had good feedback rating so i assumed everything would be fine.then i saw on the back of the package a photo id of the person that sent it. apparently to send parcels in peru you have to have xeroxed pictures of your id on the package. you should see the picture, she's i'm glad i don't have to bring shit up with her in person. i also feel sorry for her cause she lives under this totalitarian state where she has to carry some id card with her around like nazi germany.should i bring shit up with her ? i'm sure she needs the dough but this record is totally trashed.so this post is basically a part question part rant post.

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I'm cosigning this without even reading it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I always see shit on eBay that I want from South America, but you guys have me too scared. are there any reasonable eBay sellers from down there?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Sounds about right. (Don't want to jinx the order on the way though!!!!) Won some rare 45 (already forgot the name), listed as very good but it looked so bad I was afraid to put it on. I did and it sounded like a skipping snow storm.

No point in really getting into it. You could try, but be ready to give up quick if you don't get an immediate refund.

• I always see shit on eBay that I want from South America, but you guys have me too scared. are there any reasonable eBay sellers from down there?

dj pancake and this dude brazilian music i think(at least in my experience) are pretty good. there is another guy i got some brazilian records off of that were immaculately clean. i can probably trace back the seller name if you want. there aren't that many south american records that i want but this black sugar was at the top of my wantlist (and still is!) if anybody has an affordable copy get at me (I'm guessing maybe good records ?)

dave

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I would say 99.35 % of southamerican sellers don't give a fuck about grading. Then there's me.

• I would say 99.35 % of southamerican sellers don't give a fuck about grading. Then there's me.

send me a record so i can confirm that.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

send me a record so i can confirm that.

• send me a record so i can confirm that.

show me the sales list ! (Couldn't find a jpeg for that)

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    show me the sales list ! (Couldn't find a jpeg for that)

HA HA. Seriously, I have to find a way to send some money to RAJ to start soulstrut-tising (nice word, huh?). Maybe I could sell a record to one of you and you could paypal the money to RAJ. Since Paypal doesn't allow to receive payments in Argentina, I didn't even open an account.

• Cosign on DJ Pancake, dude is pretty accurate and when there have been occasional screw ups he has been more than accomodating.

Sorry Dave, I missed out on the pair that were up recently... I'll keep you in mind if one does come in.

Other than Pancake, I have had issues of small or major damage with almost every Brazilian seller I've delt with. Fortunately all have been very accomodating when it comes time for that refund email... I suspect a lot of them get that same email frequently...

• Luckily, I've never had a problem with Brazilian sellers. I've bought off hey_rey, lookwell, plain_music, and another whose name I forget. Grading has never been off by much, if at all. However, there are those that I see and look suspect - nostalgia_twist comes to mind, and the peruvian sellers have never looked too great in general...

• i also feel sorry for her cause she lives under this totalitarian state where she has to carry some id card with her around like nazi germany.

I got a fine the other day for not carrying an ID card. Happened in Hollanda.

• I've had pretty good luck with Brazil. Won Tom Ze s/t and Correio Da Estacao Do Bras for $50 total. Thought they'd come in with that sandpaper sheen, but both played clean. Covers had taped seams, but I'm into the patina.

• i've had bigger problems with records from Central America than South America. Most Brazil sellers i've dealt with grade dead on.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I got an Os Mutantes record from a reputable seller in Brazil that was graded vg+. Vinyl had a shitload of marks, one of which makes the needle jump. Thank god its on the talking intro, right before the song begins.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Ebay brazilian music sellers to trust.

andrearecords
    good.sound.br
    jlandid (Isuspect some of his LPs are fakes like the Papudinho and the Conjunto 3D that he seems to find a mint copy of every month, but they're damn good fakes)
    joiararadisco
    nostalgiatwist
    plainmusic
    vpcr.we

and the all time best

brazilianmusic (allan bastos)

• in souf america, if the record has a circular shape and has maintained its mass and original color, it is VG+

• Ebay brazilian music sellers to trust.

jlandid (Isuspect some of his LPs are fakes like the Papudinho and the Conjunto 3D that he seems to find a mint copy of every month, but they're damn good fakes)

brazilianmusic (allan bastos)

I've had issues with both these dudes... Alan Bastos is good, but I'm sorry - VG+ does not mean lots of marks and surface noise. Perhaps Brazilians do not understand this. I refuse to bid on anything not marked Excellent, and even then it can be janky. JLandid sent me a supposedly VG+ Jorge Ben 1969 that had deep marks running the entire length of the record, they popped every revolution from start to finish. Alan has been better but I have certainly gotten duds from him as well.

Guys who grade "E" and "NM", send VG- records, and then cop pleas like "you have to understand, in Brazil there are no mint records" get the fucking bozack. Learn how to grade your records.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I've been buying LPS from Allan for like 6 or 7 years and I think I gott one dud and he just gave me credit on it so it was free.

Absolute worst, Mara records.

• i also feel sorry for her cause she lives under this totalitarian state where she has to carry some id card with her around like nazi germany.

the fuck you know about Peru, Dave?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    VG+ is the grade of death for Brazilian records, do not bid on anything at vg+. Their definition of vg+ is all over the place, and most sellers delve into the stupidity of vg+, vg++, vg+++, vg++++? Seriously, what the bloody hell does that mean man? I only mess with things that are EX and above.

plainmusic has been bringing the ridiculous heat lately. Definitely the most interesting seller right now to me.

nostalgiatwist gets the gasface......son don't risk it.

• Can i get an update on what sellers are trustworthy? Am looking to buy some brazilian rekkids without getting burnt (my only neg feedback on ebay is from beef w/ nostalgia_twist)

drop some knowledge please!

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    DJ Pancake (a gringo) is good.