Beat-up Records Appreciation

erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Now, to be clear, I'm not talking about:I'm talking about those would-be $50-100 (or whatever, really) records that look totally beat to hell that you had to wash a pound of gunk off, but that play perfectly or close to it. These are the most satisfying records to own, because they just look at you as if to say "look, man, you can't put me through worse than I've already been through." There's no pussyfooting around with the protective sleeves, record brushes, white gloves, etc or fretting about resale value somewhere twenty years down the line. You just play the fuck out of 'em and enjoy 'em. Props.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Aw, this isn't the Beat-up P***y Appreciation thread?

Anyway, beat-up records that end up playing well are also great because you get good deals on them. The J.R. Bailey I found looked VG at best, a little dull, no scratches or anything, but it didn't sparkle. I had my doubts before I tested it out on the portable in the shop. It plays perfectly though, with zero audible noise, and my face melted when the owner checked out the condition and priced it at $5.

I'm not a super picky condition person in the first place, so VG (sometimes graded conservatively) is more like VG+ to me. Just another way that the rough looking ones can work out in your favor.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Most will fret when they find a rare LP and it has been played to death. It doesnt bother me. Think about it this way. The previous owner must have REALLY enjoyed that record, and probably way before it was considered rare or even collectable. They enjoyed the record for what it was made for, music.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    word to both my S.O.U.L. records and my skull snaps. None of these records have any shine left on them, but they all sound great. $.50 each

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Got Eddie Fisher's Third Cup LP for free, and the only song that plays all the way through is the title track. But it plays fairly well considering how scratched I copped it at a garage sale. Sometimes beat-up is great.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The other cool thing is when all or almost all of the tracks are scratched and unplayable *except* the tracks you actually want the most. The first records from my collection like this that come to mind are Joanne Garrett's "Just a Taste" and Afrique's "Soul Makossa".

• i love my beat up mike james kirkland. found it at my first LA swap meet.

what about when the records are totally burned the fuck out right at the good spots? i got a soul searchers ashleys roach clip that goes pfffffffff right befor the break comes in. dj cue-a-lot must have been killing that shit!

i love those vg records!!!

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    i love my beat up mike james kirkland.

I think this sounds even better beat-up.