That MPC Sound

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to MPCs. I always used Roland stuff. I've heard and heard of a certain sound the MPC gives. I imagine it's a combination of sample rate, algorhythm, and it's particular quantize setting. Is this correct? Does it have a standard shuffle of can you adapt it? I'm wondering how I might be able to emulate that sound. Pro Tools has MPC groove settings but I haven't dicked around with them. Anybody know what I'm talking about or am I rambling nonsense?

Comments

• According to the mpc afficionados, the mp60 and the 3000 sound distinctly different than than the 2000, 1000 and 4000. From what I can piece together, the original Linn design was pretty much plagirized for the 2000 and so on when Akai didnt want to pay him for the licsensing. Also the mp60 is 12 bit and although I think the 3000 is 16 bit its got different converters or something, so the sound is warmer than the 2000. So there's that.

For the shuffle, Linn breaks down somewhere exactly how the shuffle works. You can probably just google Roger linn and find out exactly what he's saying about that. Hope that helps. But the MPC sound isnt that great, especially for the 2000 and upwards, so I wouldnt want to duplicate it if I were you.

• yeah just use the pro tools settings. Its arguable if human ears can distinguish the difference between 41khz and 48khz. or 96 khz. the MPC (which I don't have) is most distinguishable I think by the quantizing more than anything else.

but also its the best equipment for producers who chop the fuck out of samples. you can have a different slice on how many pads? I have an ASR-10 and thats a big limitation. yeah you can use the keys like pads but it won't be able to save it if theres too many sounds or too long...

quantize

ps doesn't it seem like "input quantize" doesn't work?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    yeah just use the pro tools settings. Its arguable if human ears can distinguish the difference between 41khz and 48khz. or 96 khz. the MPC (which I don't have) is most distinguishable I think by the quantizing more than anything else.

but also its the best equipment for producers who chop the fuck out of samples. you can have a different slice on how many pads? I have an ASR-10 and thats a big limitation. yeah you can use the keys like pads but it won't be able to save it if theres too many sounds or too long...

quantize

ps doesn't it seem like "input quantize" doesn't work?

on the asr?

I dunno, an mpc is dope if you like using one. Other than that I wouldnt stress too much over the swing of dif. machines too much. You can be dope on any of them. Conversely, you can also be very wack on all of them.

96k on the 4000 is hot however, and yes, you will tell a difference.