Congress bout to extend daylight savings :melt:

asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I just caught a snippet of this on the news last night. It seems like the new Energy Bill is getting passed by Congress today and amongst all the attached bills are two that get me somewhat worried and / or mad..

1. They're gonna allow drilling for oil in the Alsakan Tundra

2. They're gonna try and extend daylight savings by two months to save energy...

DISCUSS

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    So now you dont have any reason to declare Bankruptcy! The Gas will be cheaper and the days will be longer to work more hours to pay back the Creit Card companies!!!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    What exactly will extending daylight saving do? I don't understand...

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    that's what I'm trying to wrap my head around too...

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I read this article this morning, very good read.

http://www.alternet.org/envirohealth/21824/

doesn't say anything about daylight savings though.

that's what I'm trying to wrap my head around too...

I'm sure it's more sinister than it would seem...

• nothing wrong with daylight savings... I'm all for it

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    1. They're gonna allow drilling for oil in the Alsakan Tundra

Which is probably a mere drop in the bucket on the world oil market that will help the USA in only the minutest amount. But hey, what's the big deal about wrecking a few thousand acres of unspoiled areas of wilderness when you can help your buddies make some cash, right?

Speaking of which, I believe that bill includes millions of dollars in gifts and "incentives" to oil companies. Whew, I'm sure glad someone's looking after those poor downtrodden CEOs!

At least we can rest assured that destroying our forests and making the rich richer is all in God's plan. For real, if Jesus is anything like the way Bush, the Repubs, and the religious right behave, we'd all be a lot better off cripwalking with Satan.

At least we can rest assured that destroying our forests and making the rich richer is all in God's plan.

Amen.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

Rational is people will walk to work more or get out and walk around/ride bikes on the weekend. Kind of a stretch?!? Whatever. I'm huge fan of DLST. But it's appalling that Congress can make the speculative assessment of energy conservation in relation to human activity associated with the amount of daylight. Yet, cannot even bother to rationally discuss the mounting evidence regarding our nations ravenous/wasteful consumption of oil and it's consequent impact on the global climate. At the same time they are pulling all subsidies for rail transportation while pork barreling trillions to pay for airport and highways. Cosgin what Marco said re: ANWR.

I actually have to look these fucker politicos in the eyes from time to time. Can't wait to get the fuck outta this town.--for that reason only..

Rational is people will walk to work more or get out and walk around/ride bikes on the weekend. Kind of a stetch. Whatever.

haha! oh yeah, that'll do it! weak...

wow, that's pretty lame.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Good on both counts...

1: This way we won't go to war for awhile.... (You can complain but that's the price we pay)... The world will never be perfect, so stop dreaming.... If we don't drill now we will start a fight somewhere... I can't talk up bout this more but I have to work.

2: Let's the kids playball a little longer! And when I was young it got dark way to fast...

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    2. They're gonna try and extend daylight savings by two months to save energy...

Does this mean you were actually born on April 12th then?
    (Quick, what time is it in Ethiopia?)

this is not the time nor place for that joke

• nothing wrong with daylight savings... I'm all for it

nothing wrong? it means i gotta bust the flashlight that much more often at the swap. actually though, i am all in favor of daylight savings time.

as for the anwr shit marco and DenmarkVZ pretty much covered how i feel. as for mango and drilling in anwr to stop a war, please, thats just plain ignorant. at full predicted production capacity anwr could supply about 1% of CURRENT us demand at any given time. in the last 2 years domestic demand has increased at a rate of about 4% a year. its a drop in the bucket when the whole dam is breaking. the us will continue to leverage our future and start wars in order to keep the price of foreign oil low with or without anwr. anwr is just a give away to bush/cheney homies because they can.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

well for those 2 months it'll still be an hour earlier when people get out of work so they won't need to turn on lights when they get home, thus saving energy...etc.

well for those 2 months it'll still be an hour earlier when people get out of work so they won't need to turn on lights when they get home, thus saving energy...etc.

they'll instead turn on the TV, video games, heater, cd player, get in the car and go place etc... no?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

they'll instead turn on the TV, video games, heater, cd player, get in the car and go place etc... no?

fuck if I know...that's just what it said on yahoo.

• What exactly will extending daylight saving do? I don't understand...

fuck if I know...that's just what it said on yahoo.

Dammit Daze figure this shit out. I need a double spaced 3 page paper on it tomorrow!

I think it is actually a creative thing to do. How much it will truly effect the oil consumption of the country is another question. i enjoy having more sunlight in my day.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Businesses won't have to have the lights on (signs, office lighting, etc.) as much because natural light will be present moreso during their hours of operation.
    Daze almost hit it.
    Peace
    T.N.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Businesses won't have to have the lights on (signs, office lighting, etc.) as much because natural light will be present moreso during their hours of operation.
    Daze almost hit it.
    Peace
    T.N.

Are you kidding????? This may be true in peoples homes, but not businesses. Have you ever been into a place that uses all natural light durring the day? I've worked in a lot of places and even the places with tons of windows had the same amount of lights on durring the day as they did at night. Maybe the front step light will get turned on a little later but that's not really saving much. Even most sings stay on durring the day. Hell most places leave neon on 24hours a day for the advertizing.

You are kidding right?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    No. It was on the discussion when Yahoo mentioned the bill was being proposed a few weeks ago. I'm not defending it per se, but cutting down on huge neon signs being lit up might help a lil.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Won't making it lighter later in the afternoon also make it darker later in the morning? It seems like that would balance it out anyway.

No. It was on the discussion when Yahoo mentioned the bill was being proposed a few weeks ago. I'm not defending it per se, but cutting down on huge neon signs being lit up might help a lil.

Cool, I wish it were true, but I just know how business work. Plus, it's the customers that insist on it too. I worked inplaces that just have (to me) blinding amounts of over head lights and you still get all these grumpy old/middle age people talking about "it's so dark and depressing can't you get more lighting?" NO YOUR JUST OLD YOU FUCK!!!!!!! CARRY A GOD DAMB FLASHLIGHT WITH YOU!!!!!!

whoops was I venting???????

I guess too it's just ironic that a bill that allows for drilling in the wilderness trys to act like 2 more hours of light will actually help. As we all know the problem is much bigger than that. Hell if were having more light why doesn't the bill force solar power on business with more than X amount of kilo watts used per month?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Everytime I read this thread title I am seeing this:

Congress bout to melt humans to extend savings

• I can guarantee you that this is one of two things:

1. A wholly meaningless gesture meant to look like environmental responsibility

2. A scam that in some hidden way benefits big business

There were a bunch of Republican congressmen on the news last night showboating at a California gas station pushing the Alaska drilling initiative. They completely ignore possibilities like energy conservation and/or fuel efficient vehicles in favor of drilling in Alaska so the Hummer drivers of the world don't have to pay $3.50 a gallon for imported oil (completely ignoring the fact that drilling in Alaska isn't really going to fix that problem).

Everytime I read this thread title I am seeing this:

Congress bout to melt humans to extend savings

Don't worry....one more repub pres and that will be the CNN headline!