Certified Little Dude Moves:

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Adam, you're clearly letting your opinion of Daniel (who you've never met, right?) cloud the situation.

Put yourself in those shoes: you mention on soulstrut how much you need a record. Someone asks you, "hey not really into modern soul but I'm looking to get into it. how is it?" and you say, "it's awesome. I need a copy actually." Perhaps you ask that person (via PM) not to bid on the copy online. Then that same person outbids you on the record. Pretty foul, considering that person could have spent their money on any number of records that are not needed by you, who at this point is only looking for very specific titles.

This isn't whining about being outbid - it's whining about someone jerking you around.

Ok and I can understand that, hell I've let people know about records I really want in the past and they've come back to me like "I knew you really wanted this record and I found a cheap copy of it, I think I'm going to keep it. It stings a bit but thats just the jealousy of not being able to get the record. I've also had my run-ins where I put people on blast for similar situations and when the smoke cleared I apologized to them and realized it was my emotions getting the better of me.

Maybe its lowdown, but I really don't want to say much more unless this whole thing is put out in the open instead of selectively revealed. I mean seriously, this thread was set up to try to knock Rey, for the most part he's remained calm and I think he should be publicly allowed to defend himself instead of just being knocked by you, Daniel, or anyone else.

• edubedub 715 Posts

Faux:[/b] Youre a grown man and to come on here to start a thread with the intent of putting someone on blast for outbidding you is really just sour grapes.

Rey:[/b] If you made a promise to not bid on this album and went back then your a liar and its now known, if not, well then congratulations on winning and if you end up not liking the album you know there is a tearful lawyer in Harlem that you can send it to and make him smile for 10 seconds before he puts on his sourpuss face again

Seriously though since this has already become a 3 pager can we at least get an account of both sides of the story, it makes no sense to post something like this only to reveal selected parts. This is a public forum, I want to some public forum speak

I think this qualifies as real talk...

- Just because someone asks you NOT to bid on a record does not automatically mean you have to let them have it.

- If you promise not to bid against someone else, it means you should not bid.

So the important part here is: What really happened??!![/b]

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    this thread was set up to try to knock Rey, for the most part he's remained calm and I think he should be publicly allowed to defend himself instead of just being knocked by you, Daniel, or anyone else.

I don't think it was..
    Nowhere in Faux???s first post was mention of Reynaldo???s name or the name of the record.
    Mack named him and Reynaldo revealed himself and said his piece. No one is disallowing him from defending himself.
    I think the original post, before it turned into this weird schoolyard game of who???s on whose side, should be taken to heart.
    The game is more than just spending money and getting something in return.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    we were all thinking reynaldo, no? "latin LP's", "ebay" and "exhorbitant" are all red flags

• K.

I need this. I wish I had the loot to cop it. those drums man.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    Prestige -- please change your avatar. That's fucking gross.

looks like someone changed it before i got a chance....

• Put yourself in those shoes: you mention on soulstrut how much you need a record. Someone asks you, "hey not really into modern soul but I'm looking to get into it. how is it?" and you say, "it's awesome. I need a copy actually." Perhaps you ask that person (via PM) not to bid on the copy online. Then that same person outbids you on the record. Pretty foul, considering that person could have spent their money on any number of records that are not needed by you, who at this point is only looking for very specific titles.

This isn't whining about being outbid - it's whining about someone jerking you around.

Co-sign. If somebody asks you for advice on a record that's on ebay and you give it honestly, but say there's a copy you've got your eye on, that's a sign of trust.

I put loads of friends of mine up on records and give advice freely. If there's something we both want one of us backs down. Why would we butt heads over some records?

The same thing happened to me recently - I was outbid by a strutter who specifically told me he wouldn't bid. I said yo if you want it that badly I'll back off. He apologized and it's all good (and no, no names). Ebay's a free market. But still, damn.

Of course it's their right to not actually give a shit and be a "baller". If they don't give a shit it's pretty apparent. Such as here. In which case I wouldn't talk records with him again.

This is a different topic than the whole "dude who feels a need to buy $180 latin LPs when he only owns a half dozen" side of it, which is pretty valid as well.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    This thread is like a record-related version of this thread.

-e

• Of course it's their right to not actually give a shit and be a "baller". If they don't give a shit it's pretty apparent. Such as here. In which case I wouldn't talk records with him again.

Right. I guess I'm trying to figure out where "give to get" and "soulstrut community" ends and "don't hate the player, hate the game" begins.

• Options

K.

I need this. I wish I had the loot to cop it. those drums man.

How people outside of Toronto know about this is beyond me. I sold my extras last year (had 3 copies). Drums are sick.

K.

• Options
    I must admit I'm guitly of similar manouvers in the past. Knowing info about a specific genre, people would often ask me if "this was the LP/12/45 with the hot track that I sold on my list" by so-and-so artist and without fail 95% of the time it was on eBay. If it was the track and on eBay (and I wasn't close friends with the dude), I'd grab it (no Aleit, this isn't about the Lennie hibbert, I had that sniped a week before yoou asked me...and my bid was 8 times what your was...there was 2 more dope LP's in that lot).

As many of you know, i more than happy to give information about just about anythign I know, but I am doing this for a living so there has to be a balance.

K.

• This thread is like a record-related version of this thread.

-e

That thread features some of faux's finest work.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I must admit I'm guitly of similar manouvers in the past. Knowing info about a specific genre, people would often ask me if "this was the LP/12/45 with the hot track that I sold on my list" by so-and-so artist and without fail 95% of the time it was on eBay. If it was the track and on eBay (and I wasn't close friends with the dude), I'd grab it (no Aleit, this isn't about the Lennie hibbert, I had that sniped a week before yoou asked me...and my bid was 8 times what your was...there was 2 more dope LP's in that lot).

As many of you know, i more than happy to give information about just about anythign I know, but I am doing this for a living so there has to be a balance.

K.

So, the 'little dude' move in that case was to naively ask you a question while the object was still 'fair game' on the 'bay?

this thread has certainly exposed the desperation, resentment & betrayal that lurk beneath the surface of the 'record game'.

"don't leave your records around me, true player for real..." etc

---

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I made no promise not to bid. I didn't even respond to faux's PM, which consisted of 24 words that I half took as sarcasm (considering the weight of faux's wallet versus mine). Like I said before, I had a snipe (of $225) on the Guzman LP a week before it was to end and a week before I received the PM. I pulled that bid amount OUT OF THE AIR thinking that it would sell for quite a bit more (because I faintly remember one selling for quite a bit more)--but I still wanted to take a shot at it. I probably should have initially discussed the issue more with faux via PM so he could fully express the depth of his desire to own the Guzman LP but that didn't happen. I have complete confidence that faux_rillz will find (and own) a cleaner copy of the Guzman LP in the near future.

• So the important part here is: What really happened??!![/b]
    I made no promise not to bid. I didn't even respond to faux's PM, which consisted of 24 words that I half took as sarcasm (considering the weight of faux's wallet versus mine). Like I said before, I had a snipe (of $225) on the Guzman LP a week before it was to end and a week before I received the PM. I pulled that bid amount OUT OF THE AIR thinking that it would sell for quite a bit more (because I faintly remember one selling for quite a bit more)--but I still wanted to take a shot at it. I probably should have initially discussed the issue more with faux via PM so he could fully express the depth of his desire to own the Guzman LP but that didn't happen. I have complete confidence that faux_rillz will find (and own) a cleaner copy of the Guzman LP in the near future.

Case closed, no?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Case closed, no?

yes. unless the prosecution has a surprise witness or something

• i know a dude who comes from rich family and always have tons of loot to spend on records, but the thing that irks me, is that all he buys are well known breakbeat rarity's, and hyped up private press rekkids, seemingly on some "oh i have that one!" shit, more so than the music itself. it's just a pet peeve of mine when music is treated as some novelty shit over the actual content of the music itself. like them dudes who buy mint beatles mono lp's for half a grand, just to frame them on their wall. not sure if that's quite the case here, or if there was any point in my posting this at all, aside from a small rant, but it just reminded me of that...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i know a dude who comes from rich family and always have tons of loot to spend on records, but the thing that irks me, is that all he buys are well known breakbeat rarity's, and hyped up private press rekkids, seemingly on some "oh i have that one!" shit, more so than the music itself.

dude, we all "know" reynaldo.

• dude, we all "know" reynaldo.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The love hangover from Hurricane Katrina is officially over.

The love hangover from Hurricane Katrina is officially over.

can there be a love hangover where there was no love to begin with?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Thanks to the ghost bumper for this one.

I have complete confidence that faux_rillz will find (and own) a cleaner copy of the Guzman LP in the near future.

So, did faux_rillz get the Guzman LP?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Man, all these ghost bumps seem to suggest the one Faux was much madder in 2005 than today.

I miss the old Faux

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Man, all these ghost bumps seem to suggest the one Faux was much madder in 2005 than today.

I miss the old Faux

These ghostbumps have led to the disturbing revelation that the faux_rillz online person circa 2005 is shockingly similar to the rootlesschadsmo online persona circa 2008.

I miss the old Faux

These ghostbumps have led to the disturbing revelation that the faux_rillz online person circa 2005 is shockingly similar to the rootlesschadsmo online persona circa 2008.

Methinks Rootless needs to step up his Lil Dude Card Pulls in that case.

And what LP was this whole thing over? The Introducing George Guzman album?

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    And what LP was this whole thing over? The Introducing George Guzman album?

That's what i figured. The funny thing is that i got outbid by reynaldo on a sealed copy of this last summer.

In retrospect, it was absolutely worth it to make the move I did. I would've had to wait three whole years for another nice stereo copy, which I'm sure would have felt to me like three lifetimes worth of waiting.

Not to detour this too much but I've been curious about this:

I assume Stereo copies of Fania gold editions were pressed in much smaller numbers than Mono? Is that b/c Stereo was still relatively recent technology or was Mono simply more popular?