Roberts Approved Booooooooo

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Only 22 votes against....dems are candy asses.

Comments

• This guy is only 50 years old[/b] . If he makes a lot of bad decisions over the next 30 years, America is in for a world of hurt....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I still don't understand. Isn't this just a REP. replacing another REP? I'd be more worried about the next spot comin up...

• I'm not a Repub. by any means, but John is not nearly as bad as you may think he his. He bases decisions around actual rule of law precedent, and he really does make intelligent choices based on constitutional merit. His activism is an illusion brought on by his work while representing organizations, such as an ex president. As a judge, the guy is solid and gifted. Give him a break.

• I still don't understand. Isn't this just a REP. replacing another REP? I'd be more worried about the next spot comin up...

I am worried about the next one coming up, but I think in the current political climate ie. Delay indictment and record low approval rating for Bush the Dems should have flexed a little muscle. This would show Bush that he can't pick a controversial candidate for O???Connor???s slot.

Plus Roberts is young and will be around for a long time. There could have been a worse pick, but Roberts will shape the court and that is a big deal.

• yeh i am not as worried about him as I am about the next nominee... We need another swing voter...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I'm not a Repub. by any means, but John is not nearly as bad as you may think he his. He bases decisions around actual rule of law precedent, and he really does make intelligent choices based on constitutional merit. His activism is an illusion brought on by his work while representing organizations, such as an ex president. As a judge, the guy is solid and gifted. Give him a break.

i saw him shapeshift.

• Give him a break.

Fuck that

You shound like a democrat.

• We need another swing voter...

Definitely.

• Give him a break.

Fuck that

I'm neither, I try not to side (though I do lean more toward dem. than repub. on some issues). I go with the nominee that I feel will perform best for the country at the time

• I'm not a Repub. by any means, but John is not nearly as bad as you may think he his. He bases decisions around actual rule of law precedent, and he really does make intelligent choices based on constitutional merit. His activism is an illusion brought on by his work while representing organizations, such as an ex president. As a judge, the guy is solid and gifted. Give him a break.

Your optimism is refreshing, but I still don't believe he would have been picked by Bush if he hadn't been fully vetted and shaken loose by Bush's handlers. Plaese to note that during the hearings, well known Republican scum-sucker Ed Gillespie (used to be RNC chairman) was sitting right behind Roberts briefing him.

Is this the face of a guy with the Constitution's best interest at heart???

• Give him a break.

Fuck that

I'm neither, I try not to side (though I do lean more toward dem. than repub. on some issues). I go with the nominee that I feel will perform best for the country at the time

I am sure you are a good guy and it is good that you go by standards instead of party lines. The problem is politics is a game and the Dems are like the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (i hope they not good this year or my analogy sucks). I am sure they are nice guys but they play like shit. You can't be a nice guy and do well in DC. Look at Jimmy Carter. I figured Roberts would be approved, but I was hoping that the Dems would at least fucking rattle his cage.

• From today's NY Times article on the Roberts confirmation:
    "There has been widespread speculation that Mr. Bush will tap a woman or a member of a minority group."

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    From today's NY Times article on the Roberts confirmation:
    "There has been widespread speculation that Mr. Bush will tap a woman or a member of a minority group."

..like alberto gonzales?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    From today's NY Times article on the Roberts confirmation:

Shouldn't he be tapping Mrs. Bush? Hope he doesn't sully any blue dresses.

didn't they also say that before roberts? this upcoming one is going to be bad i can feel it.

Shouldn't he be tapping Mrs. Bush? Hope he doesn't sully any blue dresses.

OK, which usage of the word do you think the Times was going for (oddly many suit an infantile sense of humor such as my own):

tap
    n 1: the sound made by a gentle blow [syn: pat, rap]
    2: a faucet for drawing water from a pipe or cask [syn: water
    faucet, water tap, spigot, hydrant]
    3: a gentle blow [syn: rap, strike]
    4: a small metal plate that attaches to the toe or heel of a
    shoe (as in tap dancing)
    5: a tool for cutting female (internal) screw threads
    6: a plug for a bunghole in a cask [syn: spigot]
    7: a light touch or stroke [syn: pat, dab]
    v 1: cut a female screw thread with a tap
    2: draw from or dip into to get something; "tap one's memory";
    "tap a source of money"
    3: strike lightly; "He tapped me on the shoulder"
    4: draw from; make good use of (resources) [syn: exploit]
    5: tap a telephone or telegraph wire to get information; "The
    FBI was tapping the phone line of the suspected spy"; "Is
    this hotel room bugged?" [syn: wiretap, intercept, bug]
    6: furnish with a tap or spout, so as to be able to draw liquid
    from it; "tap a cask of wine"
    7: make light, repeated taps on a surface; "he was tapping his
    fingers on the table impatiently" [syn: rap, knock, pink]
    8: walk with a tapping sound
    9: dance and make rhythmic clicking sounds by means of metal
    plates nailed to the sole of the dance shoes; "Glover
    tapdances better than anybody" [syn: tapdance]
    10: draw (liquor) from a tap; "tap beer in a bar"
    11: pierce in order to draw a liquid from; "tap a maple tree for
    its syrup"; "tap a keg of beer"
    12: make a solicitation or entreaty for something; request
    urgently [syn: solicit, beg]

• 50 seems so young for that position

It also seems backward that someone with no Supreme Court experience is handed the chief justice job while others with decades of experience are not. That's like appointing an unproven rookie to be the captain of a baseball team.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    50 seems so young for that position

It's too young. I'd love to give this guy a break but their is a reason that Bush is putting him right to the top. That has never happened before, and there is a good reason. He's stacking the court so conservatives can hold their grip no matter who the next pres is.

We're talking about the same pres that shoved through Bolan when everyone that didn't want him was on vacation. It's shady BS....the stuff Bush is best at.

• OK, which usage of the word do you think the Times was going for (oddly many suit an infantile sense of humor such as my own):

tap v 1: cut a female

LMAO! Southern headz know the deal.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

It also seems backward that someone with no Supreme Court experience is handed the chief justice job while others with decades of experience are not. That's like appointing an unproven rookie to be the captain of a baseball team.

Did it ever occur to you that the justices on the present court might not want the chief justice position, even if offered (except maybe crazy ass Scalia)? It's not like your vote counts more and there's a lot of shitty administrative duties that come with the appointment.

Did it ever occur to you that the justices on the present court might not want the chief justice position, even if offered (except maybe crazy ass Scalia)? It's not like your vote counts more and there's a lot of shitty administrative duties that come with the appointment.

Any of them would take it if offered.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Folks are crying into the wilderness....this guy is probably the least odious choice the Bush admin could make, and the dems know it. Opposition votes at all is just a hollow symbol of where they stand, there was no stopping this one with the numbers in place.

The real test will be who comes up next week.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Any of them would take it if offered.

I'm not so sure that's true...Thomas was reportedly less-than enthused about the prospect when his name was being bandied about last fall as a prospect. Obviously there's great symbolism with the 'Chief' designation, but if you don't have well-formed ideological beliefs that you're looking to advance, then what's the point of being on that platform? Who wants to go through another confirmation hearing?

• Before the law sits a gatekeeper. To this gatekeeper comes a man from the country who asks to gain entry into the law. But the gatekeeper says that he cannot grant him entry at the moment. The man thinks about it and then asks if he will be allowed to come in later on. ???It is possible,??? says the gatekeeper, ???but not now.??? At the moment the gate to the law stands open, as always, and the gatekeeper walks to the side, so the man bends over in order to see through the gate into the inside. When the gatekeeper notices that, he laughs and says: ???If it tempts you so much, try it in spite of my prohibition. But take note: I am powerful. And I am only the most lowly gatekeeper. But from room to room stand gatekeepers, each more powerful than the other. I can???t endure even one glimpse of the third.??? The man from the country has not expected such difficulties: the law should always be accessible for everyone, he thinks, but as he now looks more closely at the gatekeeper in his fur coat, at his large pointed nose and his long, thin, black Tartar???s beard, he decides that it would be better to wait until he gets permission to go inside. The gatekeeper gives him a stool and allows him to sit down at the side in front of the gate. There he sits for days and years. He makes many attempts to be let in, and he wears the gatekeeper out with his requests. The gatekeeper often interrogates him briefly, questioning him about his homeland and many other things, but they are indifferent questions, the kind great men put, and at the end he always tells him once more that he cannot let him inside yet. The man, who has equipped himself with many things for his journey, spends everything, no matter how valuable, to win over the gatekeeper. The latter takes it all but, as he does so, says, ???I am taking this only so that you do not think you have failed to do anything.??? During the many years the man observes the gatekeeper almost continuously. He forgets the other gatekeepers, and this one seems to him the only obstacle for entry into the law. He curses the unlucky circumstance, in the first years thoughtlessly and out loud, later, as he grows old, he still mumbles to himself. He becomes childish and, since in the long years studying the gatekeeper he has come to know the fleas in his fur collar, he even asks the fleas to help him persuade the gatekeeper. Finally his eyesight grows weak, and he does not know whether things are really darker around him or whether his eyes are merely deceiving him. But he recognizes now in the darkness an illumination which breaks inextinguishably out of the gateway to the law. Now he no longer has much time to live. Before his death he gathers in his head all his experiences of the entire time up into one question which he has not yet put to the gatekeeper. He waves to him, since he can no longer lift up his stiffening body. The gatekeeper has to bend way down to him, for the great difference has changed things to the disadvantage of the man. ???What do you still want to know, then???? asks the gatekeeper. ???You are insatiable.??? ???Everyone strives after the law,??? says the man, ???so how is that in these many years no one except me has requested entry???? The gatekeeper sees that the man is already dying and, in order to reach his diminishing sense of hearing, he shouts at him, ???Here no one else can gain entry, since this entrance was assigned only to you. I???m going now to close it.???

Not a good translation, but it should get the point acorss.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

It's too young. I'd love to give this guy a break but their is a reason that Bush is putting him right to the top. That has never happened before, and there is a good reason. He's stacking the court so conservatives can hold their grip no matter who the next pres is.

We're talking about the same pres that shoved through Bolan when everyone that didn't want him was on vacation. It's shady BS....the stuff Bush is best at.

But this is one case where the Republicans have done everything right, and by the books....it should come as NO surprise to anyone that they are advancing an agenda with the court(the hypocritical part is how many in their ranks openly decry 'activist judges' when they happen to be a little or a lot liberal). That is why they wanted the Presidency in the first place. And thats what the Dems should have been fighting united against 5 years ago! It sucks, but the Dems would do the same stacking were they in the Bush seat, no question, and yes, I would like that more, but to act like there is anything to be done to stop it now is almost wasted breath.

But this is one case where the Republicans have done everything right, and by the books....it should come as NO surprise to anyone that they are advancing an agenda with the court(the hypocritical part is how many in their ranks openly decry 'activist judges' when they happen to be a little or a lot liberal). That is why they wanted the Presidency in the first place. And thats what the Dems should have been fighting united against 5 years ago! It sucks, but the Dems would do the same stacking were they in the Bush seat, no question, and yes, I would like that more, but to act like there is anything to be done to stop it now is almost wasted breath.

Yea, your right. It's just frustrating because it makes you wonder how this country is ever going to get better. Plus, I'm sure I wouldn't haved liked the dems picks either. It's just clear that poloticians aren't doing much to make the country better, just keep thier points of view as law because their point of view keeps their bank accounts full.

I am not suprised that the republicans picked this guy or that he got through. I am not suprised that the democrats didn't do anything. I am mearly pissed that they didn't send a messege to Bush about his next appointment, but I expected them to lay on their backs because that is what they have been doing for the past 6 year.

but I expected them to lay on their backs because that is what they have been doing for the past 6 year.

Because they were all trained by Clinton.............ba dum bump!