Fat Gaines Band

jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
OK Bay Area folks I've stumbled over a copy of SoulJazzDisco on Avamar from '81. I never heard of this dude, but apparently I should have I guess they've re-issued this Zorina record, but I can't find any info on SoulJazzDisco. Can somebody knowledge me on this dude and this record? It's got a light blue 2 lp gatefold cover with a picture of the band. The inside of the gatefold is just blank white. They're doing covers of soul and jazz and disco songs. (duh) I'm listening to it right now and I like it, but not in a mind blowing kinda way so far. Close the Door was kinda tight, but I think I just like that song anyway.I need schoolage!

Comments

• News Flash!

Wishing on a Star is sounding pretty dope right now...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    that was an AP auction.

I want that album, but I'd advise you to get your sell or trade on unless your another Jheri curl fanatic (Supergood where you at!)

• Yeah actually I am kinda turning into a jheri girl fanatic, but this one is not on that tip, so that's beside the point.

There's like 3 other $300 auctions for that thing on popsike, so I don't think a case of AP inflatery.

But who cares about that shit. What's up with MY record?

Sorry I don't have a picture. Avamar Records address is on Van Dyke Ave in SF. Where the hell is that? Did somebody get Van Ness confused? Help!

• Did I say gheri "girl"? Proof reading skills/freudian slippage problems in the AM here...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    why dont you just call a motherfucker on the phone so i dont have to write this shit out!! haha... jk... kinda

William "Fats" Gaines has been (rather was...) a Bay Area big band staple since the 60s (for vinyl) and even earlier. he's recorded records for Willie Hoskins for the Boola Boola label and even earlier did some work for Brad Taylors Bay-Tone records label. in the 70s he cut two LPs. one is featuring Curtis Lawson (local Blues master, cut records locally) and the second (the one you have), well it just has a lot more songs.

Avamar was his record label when they (bill and his wife) were living on Van Dyke street in Bayview (its a real street... most white folk dont go to that side of town though unless its for a Niners game and they usually get there from the freeway avoiding the ghettos). he released 3 45s and the Zorina record (who, funny enough, is the aunt of LaToya London of American Idol fame).

Bill passed away some time back but his wife is still (rather a year ago) alive and living up in....

• that was an AP auction.

I want that album, but I'd advise you to get your sell or trade on unless your another Jheri curl fanatic (Supergood where you at!)

Supergood in the house.

While google-searching for more info on Fats Gaines, I found the following link:
    Original Zorina stock - 12.99 each!

Unfortunately, the site is outdated and the OG stock is no longer available (I tried ordering, of course). What a fuckin' deal, though!

Anyways, Boogie Times has some sound samples from the LP to check out:

Boogie Times

Clapz n slapz!

SG

• If its like the Zorina album, I gotta get it.

If its like the Zorina album, I gotta get it.

no... you dont want it.

look, its a cool record but overall none of his records should be worth more than $20-25... its big band jazz, some funky moments and tunes, some soulful stuff but its just okay.

dont hurt yourself trying to track one down

• Dude, the Fats Gaines records have been fetching WAYYY too much money. It's like that Merl Saunders lp getting over 60 bucks...modern soul gone wild?

• its big band jazz,
    Say no more. I want no part of that genre. The Zorina is really dope to me though.

i did this for self really because i havent listened to this music in a long time... anyway, this is his recording history (of which i know) from first to last appearance:

Rita Thomas & the Fats Gaines Band - Prove You Love Me Baby (Bay-Tone) : uptempo mid 60s dancer with a great horn section. (Flip side: Take Care of My Heart - nice female Ballad which is a slow groover.)

Fats Gaines & the Grampaps - Funky Feet (Boola Boola) : great horn and piano lead instrumental funk tune. nasty guitar player as well. the bass player is just killing it in the bckgrd. (Flip side: Baby Jewel w/ band - Without A Feeling - someone told me this was Jewel of Vernon & Jewel fame but i dont know. Nice Ballad.)

(dick walberg recordings):

***Fats Gaines Band feat L. Washington - Livin for You (Avamar) : great cover of the Al Green tune with Lou doing the vocals and not on any LP. (Flip side: For Your Precious Love - another wonderful cover. Lou was a talented MFer!)

*Fats Gaines Orchestra feat Curtis Lawson - Plays Today and Yesterdays Music for Dancing (Avamar) - LP - okay maybe i was wrong cause this lp is BANANAS! all covers, ill drums, funky horns, lead and bass guitar is NASTY!, etc. covers songs by Albert King (Breaking Up Somebodys Home, Dont Burn Down the Bridge), Al Green (Lets Stay Together... uptempo and funky!), Lowell Fulsom (Guitar Shuffle) and more.

(80s productions):

Fats Gaines Orchestra feat P. Simmons & L. Whitmore - Groove Line (Avamar) - from 81 this is a nice cover of the Heatwave original. (Flip side: Pat Simmons w/ band - Wishing On A Star - music is cool but the singing could be a little better.)

**Fats Gaines Band feat L. Washington - For Your Precious Love (Avamar) - cleaner sounding and redone for the new LP. better quality and really shows off Lous vocals. includes a Part 2 where he's got the fake crowd screaming out for him.

*Fats Gaines Band - SoulJazzDisco (Avamar) - LP - okay okay okay... this is cool. covers cover covers! Get Up Get Down Get Funky Get Loose, Close the Door, Chameleon, etc. double vinyl with one for the singers and one for just the musicians.

Favorites:

* You should cop this
    ** You should cop this because it's an extended version that sounds like it was supposed to be Live
    *** I need a cleaner copy of this

• Thanks Justin for the plethora of info!

Yeah after a complete listen, I'm diggin it, but it seems like the covers are pretty straight ahead (at least the ones I recognize). Kinda wish they'd just break out and get nasty at some point. Needs more listens...

For Your Love off the Zorina record is bonkers though! Gotta keep am eye out for that.

Peaceful Ro I agree with you on the Merl record. I'm not really in to those covers, but San Francisco After Dark is the cut. People have been getting $60 for that?