Turkish women tear Karen Hughes new asshole! (NRR)

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I hate this fucking bitch.

Turkish Women Blast Karen Hughes With Iraq War Criticism

By Glenn Kessler
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 28, 2005; 1:45 PM

ISTANBUL, Sept. 28 -- A group of Turkish female activists confronted Undersecretary of State Karen Hughes Wednesday with heated complaints about the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, turning a session designed to highlight the empowering of women into a raw display of the anger at U.S. policy in the region.

"This war is really, really bringing your positive efforts to the level of zero," said Hidayet Sefkatli Tuksal, an activist with the Capital City Women's Forum. She said it was difficult to talk about cooperation between women in the United States and Turkey as long as Iraq was under occupation.

Hughes, a longtime confidant of President Bush tasked with burnishing the U.S. image overseas, has generally met with polite audiences -- many of whom received U.S. funding or consisted of former exchange students -- during a tour of Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Turkey this week.

In this case the U.S. Embassy asked Kader, an umbrella group that supports woman candidates, to assemble the guest list. None of the activists currently receive U.S. funds and the guests apparently had little desire to mince words. Six of the eight women who spoke at the session, held in Ankara, the capital, focused on the Iraq war.

"War makes the rights of women completely erased and poverty comes after war -- and women pay the price," said Fatma Nevin Vargun, a Kurdish women's rights activist. Vargun denounced the arrest of Cindy Sheehan, the activist mother of a soldier killed in Iraq, in front of the White House Monday at an antiwar protest.

Hughes, looking increasingly pained, defended the decision to invade Iraq as a difficult and wrenching moment for President Bush, but necessary to protect America.

"You're concerned about war, and no one likes war," she said. But, she said, "to preserve the peace sometimes my country believes war is necessary." She also asserted that women are faring much better in Iraq than under the rule of deposed president Saddam Hussein.

"War is not necessary for peace," shot back Feray Salman, a human rights advocate. She said countries should not try to impose democracy through war, adding that "we can never, ever export democracy and freedom from one country to another."

Tuksal said she was "feeling myself wounded, feeling myself insulted here" by Hughes' response. "In every photograph that comes from Iraq there is that look of fear in the eyes of women and children. . . . This needs to be resolved as soon as possible."

Turkey, a member of NATO, has long been a close ally of the United States, but relations have soured during the Bush administration, especially after the Turkish parliament blocked a request to allow U.S. troops to stage an invasion of northern Iraq via Turkey. National Security Adviser Stephen J. Hadley visited Ankara last week as part of a new effort by the White House to mend ties.

The Turkish public has also become rattled by an increase in attacks by the PKK, or Kurdistan Workers' Party, a Kurdish militant group operating out of northern Iraq, amid accusations that the United States has not done enough to rein in the group.

Nurdan Bernard, a journalist participating in the panel, raised concerns about the PKK, prompting Hughes to respond that it was "somewhat an irony." She added: "Sometimes you have to engage in combat in order to confront terrorists who want to kill you."

Hughes later flew to Istanbul for meetings with religious leaders -- part of an effort to promote interfaith dialogue -- and with Turks who have participated in U.S. exchange programs. She returns to Washington Thursday.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    oh and Hi.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    so karen hughes has another mouth now?

ha

hi.

• ...sure she's a bitch and so is W. And the war was a screwup.

However, what do we make of the Turkish women's complaint about the PKK attacks?

These women seem awfully concerned with the rights of women in Iraq and Turkey - and critical of the US war machine. And yet they basically ask the US to use their military might to crush the Kurds.

Perhaps Hughes wasn't totally bullshitting when she recognized this as ironic.

But one of the Turkish women quoted is a Kurdish rights activist.

• yeah the article is unclear as to who was raising what objection to US action vis-a-vis the Kurds.

i just think we need to see Turkish complaints about the US military's handling of Iraq for what it often - though by no means always - is: disappointment at seeing the end of a dictatorship that effectively kept Kurdish independence aspirations in check.

• Dude, I mean you are generalizing all Turks into one thing... so should they all think that you are a muslim-bashing wacko christian fundamentalist?

• say what? I didn't generalize about all Turks. I was more sorta generalizing about all GOVERNMENTS. The article mentions that the Turks were against the invasion, etc. They mention this in the context of an article on human/women rights. But you'd have to be pretty gullible to believe that this was the main motiviating factor in the Turkish gov't's opposition to the war. Hardly any government makes policy based on these considerations. The truth is the invasion unleashed a serious Kurdish "problem" that the Turks didn't have to worry about as much before. At the end of the day, it was in TURKEY'S interest that the US not invade, not in the interest of the Kurds or Iraqi women, etc.

I think it's good to take any oppressive government's complaint about another's with a grain of salt. But unless I've missed something, it's seems pretty clear that these are women who do not represent the gov't (and probably feel that the Turkish gov't does not represent their views/interests).

• Oy. Thanks A.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    People can see through this bullshit. Hughes was sent out talking about how she's just "a Mom." Trying to inch a little public support for this disastrous foreign policy by telling some Saudi women how much she loves to drive her car. Now she gets checked by some Turkish women???s right activists. Too bad we can???t have access to top administration officials in a public forum like this in the USA. Instead we get a bunch of fake town hall meetings and any person expressing the slightest dissent is dragged out by their drawers.

• I think it's good to take any oppressive government's complaint about another's with a grain of salt. But unless I've missed something, it's seems pretty clear that these are women who do not represent the gov't (and probably feel that the Turkish gov't does not represent their views/interests).

You true. I was just responding to the article. It said:

"The Turkish public has also become rattled by an increase in attacks by the PKK, or Kurdistan Workers' Party, a Kurdish militant group operating out of northern Iraq, amid accusations that the United States has not done enough to rein in the group...Nurdan Bernard, a journalist participating in the panel, raised concerns about the PKK..."

The author's implication here is that these women - or at least some of them - were raising issues about the PKK attacks, possibly urging the US to do more to stop them. Like I said, it's unclear WHO said WHAT exactly in this press conference. The author is totally vague and possibly conflates two distinct issues here. The author could be totally full of shit drawing this connection.

But again, the overall tone of the article was like: These Turkish groups are mad at the US, Turks in general are mad at the US over the war, and one of their concerns is tke Kurdish thing. Alls I'm saying is there is a much larger context that is not addressed at all in this article: That the Turks have long opposed Kurdish liberation and that may be (read: obviously is) a factor.

• That is a really negative portrayal of Turks. I don't think you like Muslims very much

• People can see through this bullshit.

that's real. i'm just glad at the end of the day that these Turkish women stood up to Hughes. 'cause the majority of the American people seem to buy the admin's bullshit hook/line/sinker.

• I don't think you like Muslims very much

Ha! (i hope you're joking).

I am sure your best friend is a Muslim.

I'm sure some of your best friends are Kurds.

No, I don't know any Kurdish people... some of my best friends are Black though...

No, I don't know any Kurdish people... some of my best friends are Black though...

word? me too! do you know Tim?

• People can see through this bullshit.

that's real. i'm just glad at the end of the day that these Turkish women stood up to Hughes. 'cause the majority of the American people seem to buy the admin's bullshit hook/line/sinker.
    Those women have their 'third eye' open.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    There's a similar report in today's SF Chronicle about Hughes' visit to Saudi Arabia. She went to a wealthy area of the country and met with a small, hand picked group of mostly professional Saudi women. She talked about how she hoped Muslim women could vote and drive cars in the future. According to the news report, most of the women told Hughes that Muslim women didn't feel that oppressed and that driving a car wouldn't make them free, nor was it a big priority for some of them. Again, the report said that Hughes was a bit shocked by how the women responded to her speech.

• Again, the report said that Hughes was a bit shocked by how the women responded to her speech.

Wow, she must have said to herself, 'Oh my God, they're seeing right thru all of this horse shit that I'm trying to feed them. What am I going to do now.'

It's truly sad that these are our 'leaders'*

* For lack of a better term

• There's a similar report in today's SF Chronicle about Hughes' visit to Saudi Arabia. She went to a wealthy area of the country and met with a small, hand picked group of mostly professional Saudi women. She talked about how she hoped Muslim women could vote and drive cars in the future. According to the news report, most of the women told Hughes that Muslim women didn't feel that oppressed and that driving a car wouldn't make them free, nor was it a big priority for some of them. Again, the report said that Hughes was a bit shocked by how the women responded to her speech.

Geo/Ethnocentricity strikes again.

• That is a really negative portrayal of Turks. I don't think you like Muslims very much
    it is what it is. the turkish government systematically massacred over a million armenians, and tens of thousands of kurds and greeks in the early 20th century. this has been documented by pictures, countless eyewitness accounts, and documentation (the american ambassador to turkey at the time also knew about it and documented it). their government still denies this, to the point of passing a law that doesn't allow any turkish citizens to use the words "genocide" or "massacre" in the same context as armenians or kurds (they accept "deportation" as an alternative), under a penalty of 3 years imprisonment. a renowned turkish historian recently published a book about how these travesties have occured, yet the government hasn't even acknowledged it, and as a result, is being prosecuted and could face 3 years jail time. like i said, it is what it is...

• I'm sure you're using the United States as a role model... ?

like i said, it is what it is...

Let's not be too critical of 20th century transgressions.

• I'm sure you're using the United States as a role model... ?
    absolutely not. the U.S. hasn't even ackowledged that the turkish government is guilty of this systematic genocide, regardless of the U.S. ambassador at the time admitting to it. why? because they'd hate to tarnish the name of their "allies". and this wasn't some "casualties of war" bullshit. among these millions, many were women (young and old), and children, who were burned alive, drowned, raped, decapitated, starved, stabbed, etc... i don't think i need to post flicks to get the point across...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Why are people so horrible to eachother?

• Why are people so horrible to eachother?
    don't ask me, bruh...the human species is the epitome of smart/dumb. all the incredible achievements over the centuries, contrasted by all the disgusting atrocities...damned if i know.

• the human species is the epitome of smart/dumb.

If I was, say, a cow... I wouldn't want humans in charge.

it is what it is. the turkish government systematically massacred over a million armenians, and tens of thousands of kurds and greeks in the early 20th century. this has been documented by pictures, countless eyewitness accounts, and documentation (the american ambassador to turkey at the time also knew about it and documented it). their government still denies this, to the point of passing a law that doesn't allow any turkish citizens to use the words "genocide" or "massacre" in the same context as armenians or kurds (they accept "deportation" as an alternative), under a penalty of 3 years imprisonment. a renowned turkish historian recently published a book about how these travesties have occured, yet the government hasn't even acknowledged it, and as a result, is being prosecuted and could face 3 years jail time. like i said, it is what it is...

You twit we are not nor have we been discussing the Turkish government.

Folks are always whining about how people judge us by our government. Why are you judging all Turks by theirs.

• I hate this fucking bitch.

Just another true believer in service to the people that are fucking us on a daily basis....

....and she wouldn't know irony if it crawled up her leg and bit her on the ass...