Ace Boon Coon?

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
is this an acceptable term to say on commercial radio?Sana G from local Bay station KMEL just used this term in joking reference to her DJ... now, i like racist jokes and slang as much as the next cracker but for some reason i was really offended by this...am i tripping?

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

am i tripping?

i dont think so.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

am i tripping?

i dont think so.

Doc Beezy, an answer to your PM is a lengthy one, and I will hit you with it. It just requires a lot of soul searching.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

am i tripping?

i dont think so.

Doc Beezy, an answer to your PM is a lengthy one, and I will hit you with it. It just requires a lot of soul searching.

hey man. like i said. no rush

• don't know. what exactly does the phrase mean? It's in a Cam'Ron lyric but I never bothered to really find out exactly what it means I know what "ace" and "ccon" mean seperately but not put togethere and with "boon" in the middle..

• don't know. what exactly does the phrase mean? It's in a Cam'Ron lyric but I never bothered to really find out exactly what it means I know what "ace" and "ccon" mean seperately but not put togethere and with "boon" in the middle..

From Websters...

Main Entry: 2boon
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English bon, from Middle French, good -- more at BONNY
    1 archaic : FAVORABLE
    2 : CONVIVIAL

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    don't know. what exactly does the phrase mean? It's in a Cam'Ron lyric but I never bothered to really find out exactly what it means I know what "ace" and "ccon" mean seperately but not put togethere and with "boon" in the middle..

From Websters...

ergo my most favorable coon (not meant with negativity so I guess we cold take coon & say black person

My #1 favorite black guy?

From Websters...

ergo my most favorable coon (not meant with negativity so I guess we cold take coon & say black person

I dunno A***....I ain't hardly black, but "coon" has to be one of the most offensive, old timey, sheet-wearin', cross burnin' epithets held dear by the Strom Thurmond crowd...
    Duderonomy

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

From Websters...

I dunno A***....I ain't hardly black, but "coon" has to be one of the most offensive, old timey, sheet-wearin', cross burnin' epithets held dear by the Strom Thurmond crowd...

Oh no, I totally agree, but I'm thinking along the lines of how nigger became nigga and went from duragatory slur to a term of endearment.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    is this an acceptable term to say on commercial radio?
    No.

• The only place I know this term is from one of the tracks on HUSTLERS CONVENTION. Can't say if this girl should have been saying it on the radio or not though.

• my ace boon coon = my nigga

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    The only place I know this term is from one of the tracks on HUSTLERS CONVENTION. Can't say if this girl should have been saying it on the radio or not though.

don't know west coast radio,but is that chica black,latina or white?can't tell.ace boon has been used on old school songs.first heard it on a record from "hustler's convention.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    my ace boon coon = my nigga

you see i understand that... but is that where the context really began? maybe i was just raised up differently but i was always just under the impression that it was negative from the start... then again im white and mexican... who the fuck am i to question that shit.

• my ace boon coon = my nigga

you see i understand that... but is that where the context really began? maybe i was just raised up differently but i was always just under the impression that it was negative from the start... then again im white and mexican... who the fuck am i to question that shit.

Nah, it's cool. You should question shit. Just because you aren't black doesn't mean you don't have the right to try and be edjumacated on such things. Maybe coon is the next term of endearment but I doubt it. We're all in the same race, the human race. Ethnic slurs aren't too cool in my book, but what do I know. I'm Mexican, too.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

From Websters...

Oh no, I totally agree, but I'm thinking along the lines of how nigger became nigga and went from duragatory[/b] slur to a term of endearment.

2 entries found for derogatory.
    de??rog??a??to??ry
    adj.
    1.Disparaging; belittling: a derogatory comment.
    2.Tending to detract or diminish.

I was ignoring it for a while, but I couldn't hold out any longer.

• you see i understand that... but is that where the context really began? maybe i was just raised up differently but i was always just under the impression that it was negative from the start... then again im white and mexican... who the fuck am i to question that shit.

Coon is, ace boon coon is as said. People use it still, my ex-girlfriend even used to say it. It turns up in rap from time to time (ex. Ice-T)... or the shortened version, when people say "My Ace".

Otherwise I think it's throwback... like something your grandparents would've said.

• http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ace+boon+coon

apparently it's accepted in the urban dictionary...not that i agree with it.

• I was just paid a visit from a very cool japanese dealer who runs a shop called Boon Coon records.He had good taste.

• I was just paid a visit from a very cool japanese dealer who runs a shop called Boon Coon records.He had good taste.

Maybe in records, but not in store names.

Why wouldn't it be accepted?

Why wouldn't it be accepted?

poor choice of words on my part. i don't agree with the term. just my $.02

i know why it was accepted in the dictionary, i just meant i'm not into the term personally.

• Cosmo said:

am i tripping?

i dont think so.

I was stationed at Clark Air Force Base in 1961-62. When soldiers who were liked by the Philippine people were given a farewell party  in downtown Angeles(the town outside the base) they were celebrated as being A number one Ace Boon Coons, a term of endearment. It is the only place I have heard this term used. As an African-American man I didn't find the term offensive. All these many years later, I still don't.

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Glad that’s been cleared up.