Good prog LPs

guy_alcindorguy_alcindor 621 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Been getting into a lot more prog these days. I found this a couple days ago, has some nice funky flute action on a couple tracks, very nice, with mellotron and moog on most tracks.This one I don't have, but passed on for $15, and has a very nice break on one cut. I'm now wishing I had grabbed it, along with the Agitation Free for $20.

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    this whole genre is like jazz to me. I can't sit down and listen to a whole album of it, but theres always good stuff to sample. that said, heres a few bands I would reccomend...

Scope 1 and 2 on ABC I think?
    Zao
    Shylock
    Embryo
    just about anything on Phillips Cosmos

that Mythos LP is dope btw.
    have a good time

• I love this record.
    Two dudes from King Crimson.

• McDonald and Giles being the name of it.
    Pink label Island Records (maybe with the green text?) go for more than the US ATCO (?) Cotillion release.

I've been seeing the pink label island ones here in Tokyo for $125+!
    crazy. And the Japanese Atlantic pressing doesn't sound as good as the US...to my sound holes at least.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I have the one on the right, it rules, has a 10 minute long laid back funky instro jam, balanced with some facemelter guitar shred tracks...I want the one on the left...want more Gong, too...

Vertigo[/b] is definitely a label to check on if you are diggin for Prog.

I got this one at a yard sale last weekend, and was feelin' it:

Do you guys consider this one Prog? --->

• I have the Jade Warrior "Autumn..." LP... great all the way through, tribal at times, and a nice bass + drums break... yeah, Vertigo definitely has its moments. The Agitation Free is on Vertigo, too. That Blows... LP sounds familiar, but I don't know it - Jefferson Starship? Never checked them.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Theres this one group called Yes, they're kinda progressive.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    intense, reletless, face melting prog:

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    this has been my shit lately

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Jesus, I posted this exact same thread a few weeks ago and got ONE reply.

Haters..

But three weeks ago I hated[/b] prog.

Now, I like it.

• Jesus, I posted this exact same thread a few weeks ago and got ONE reply.

Haters..

CONTRIBUTE!!!! Naw, I think maybe it helps to get strutters salivatin with photos of euro semi-raers...

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Prog is to Rock as Fusion is to Jazz. The Red Headed Step Child no one wants to admit to. And when KenBurns does his documentary on PBS about Rock music, he will skip over Prog just like he skipped over Fusion in the Jazz Series.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Prog is to Rock as Fusion is to Jazz. The Red Headed Step Child no one wants to admit to. And when KenBurns does his documentary on PBS about Rock music, he will skip over Prog just like he skipped over Fusion in the Jazz Series.

hater

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

hi marco

I like a lot of the borderline prog. like rare bird and egg's early records. mythos is my shit too.

• YES!!!!!!

What about that:

Now friends, please to post krautrockraer and zeuhl

intense, reletless, face melting prog:

• mimmim 44 Posts

i was heavily into prog, but i'm very picky with the genre.
    just a few jumps around the continents.. rare

tako

sbb

quasar

not rare but don't care, it's hawkwind..

also, here's a piece to track down and dig up. for the most dilligent..

here's a copypaste from somewhere:

"GURUH GIPSY
    Guruh Gipsy ,Maybe many progressive rock freaks still are searching the amazing indonesian prog band. They released only one album named "GYRUH GIPSY" on 1977 and many of the member still makes the music activity in Indonesia.

First of all, we should introduce the profile of the main member.

???f???t???q???t???g??@???r???n???d???j???`???q???m???n??@???o???t???s???q???`??F He is the son of MR.SOEKARNO(the previous Indonesian president). Nowadays, he is still active in the Indonesian Music scene.He played Keyboard and GAMLAN in their album.

???b???g???q???h???r???x???d??F He became the very famous pops singer inIndonesia.He played bass guitar and vocal part.

???`???a???`???c???h??@???r???n???d???r???l???`???m??F He jointed God Bless Band after they had disbanded. He released tthe good PROG album "CERMIN"with God bless in 1980. In recent year, he formed the new band which play the Beatles' song.

He took part in Guruh Gipsy as Mini Moog Player.

???j???d???d???m???`???m??@???m???`???t???s???h???n???m??F He played Drums . After Guruh Gipsy ,He formed the new band named GANG PEGANGKSAAN.

ODINK??@NAUTION??F He played as guitar player. After Guruh Gipsy ,He formed the new band named GANG PEGANGKSAAN.

RONI??@HARAHAP??F KEYBOARD

This band was organized with the above members and the some additional members such as female back vocal and Gamlan player. Their casset tape was sold with the booklet(about 30pages).The purpose was the introduction of the Balinese music . The idea was origined by GURUH SOEKARNO. Their sound was mixture between the traditinal Balinese music and the progressive rock featuring some keyboards. Especially, "INDONESIAN MAHAMADDEKA",the first song of the Album ,is very amazing .the first part is the typical progressive rock sound like ELP. The second part is the very orginal sound which mixed progressive rock by mini moog with the Balinese music by Gamlan . After that ,the last part is also magnificent sound like the Italian prog.

I must say again"THIS ALBUM is MASTER PIECE OF ASIAN PROGRESSIVE ROCK.",

Now , I still search the master tape."

end copypaste

get the remaster!

• this has been my shit lately

Is it possible to score this one without spending lots of euros or going to Italy & dig in the flea markets?? I've only seen it on ebay always for $$$.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

i was heavily into prog, but i'm very picky with the genre.
    just a few jumps around the continents.. rare

tako

good or just raer?

• mimmim 44 Posts
    whey they don't overdo it (you know, jerking off or as i call it, untranslatebly - symphoing off) it sounds great.

the track 'minijatura' is a ''bangin flute madness with heavy drums''. to put it in those words.

but i personally enjoy the whole record.

there's a reissue too, on austrian 'kalemegdan disk'. you can check that one too, before hunting the og. reissue has a different cover:

• intense, reletless, face melting prog:

Word on the Magma, singing in a made up language and crazy shit like that.

Also:

Soft Machine 1-8

Curved Air

Atoll

Van Der Graaf Generator

and my new fave:

The Battered Ornaments "Mantle-Piece"

sometimes if record is TOO prog or TOO fusion for my taste (i.e, lots of noodling), I replay it with the pitch at -5 and it's a lot more enjoyable.

Deep beats and deep crates,

SonicReducer

(TEAMAARON)