Charles Tolliver and Music Inc.

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Thoughts, comments? Too loud and big bandy or sick orchestral jazz? Or neither?

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I've owned a few Tolliver/Music Inc. records and aside from the 1 or 2 groovy and deep joints, held together by Mr. McBee, thought they got a little messy and unfocused for how I prefer my jazz.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Thoughts, comments?

Too loud and big bandy or sick orchestral jazz? Or neither?

Neither. Get the reissue to any of their Strata East joints and give it a listen.
    or pick up The Ringer or Paper Man By Tolliver on Arista Freedom(usually easy to find and under $7), pretty much the same musicians and sound.

Great stuff, the first Music Inc. on Strata East is my fave.

• Thoughts, comments?

Neither. Get the reissue to any of their Strata East joints and give it a listen.
    or pick up The Ringer or Paper Man By Tolliver on Arista Freedom(usually easy to find and under $7), pretty much the same musicians and sound.

Oh Ive got a bunch of their stuff on Strata, Im just confused about how I feel about them.

Thoughts, comments?

Oh Ive got a bunch of their stuff on Strata, Im just confused about how I feel about them.

What are your thoughts about them currently?

• Thoughts, comments?

My thoughts are that they are sometimes too overblown and traditional, but each of their albums has at least one or two songs I really dig. Mostly, I just wait for Stanely Cowell who can almost do no wrong.

Thoughts, comments?

My thoughts are that they are sometimes too overblown and traditional, but each of their albums has at least one or two songs I really dig. Mostly, I just wait for Stanely Cowell who can almost do no wrong.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about them as well.

Let me say it before 3rdstream does...

EFFI, EFFI, EFFI!!!

• Thoughts, comments?

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about them as well.

Let me say it before 3rdstream does...

EFFI, EFFI, EFFI!!!

consensus!

• Thoughts, comments?

sounds like you may be listening to the big-band albums, like s/t and Impact. I like those although they admittedly can be rather heavy-handed.
    But the quartet stuff, Live at Slugs, is pristine godhead jazz in my opinion...

• Thoughts, comments?

sounds like you may be listening to the big-band albums, like s/t and Impact. I like those although they admittedly can be rather heavy-handed.
    But the quartet stuff, Live at Slugs, is pristine godhead jazz in my opinion...

Forgot about that one, you're right about it. I definately dig that.