Why do you hate/dislike Kufi-Rap?

AaronAaron 977 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
The ridiculous fashion?The ridiculous subject matter?The overwraught-ness of it all?The absence of nearly all four elements?The lack of street credibility?Too "thoughtful*?"*Girl in class today: "I like thoughtful music."This is not an ironic post.[/b]

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I love kufi soul, but only some kufi-rap.

• Explain what Kufi-Rap is.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Explain what Kufi-Rap is.

yes please.

just so we're all on the same page...or at least in the same chapter.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Explain what Kufi-Rap is.

"Plaese to explain the Kufi-Rap"

• passive aggressive

• The absence of nearly all four elements?

Poetry, incense, natural fibers, and organic seasoned tofu?

Though to be honest, the main thing I don't like about Kufi-Rap is that their fans love them some Donny Hathaway but probably have never heard of Eddie Bo. And probably think FIRE ON THE BAYOU is the best Meters album.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Though to be honest, the main thing I don't like about Kufi-Rap is that their fans love them some Donny Hathaway but probably have never heard of Eddie Bo. And probably think FIRE ON THE BAYOU is the best Meters album.

i usually hate it because the lyrics are hella wack. i don't mind people singing about unity and expressions and all that mystical shit, but rapping about is just corny.

Common was getting his kufi-rap on during Like Water for Chocolate, right? he still kept it real with "Dooinit" and that Premier joint. i respect that, but the barefoot coffeehouse rappers i can do without.

• And probably think FIRE ON THE BAYOU is the best Meters album.

Uh, hold up... that album is home to "They All Asked For You"... ever heard of the NOLA street test?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I suspect that most people who so vehemently dislike "kufi" rap do so because they see in it something of themselves as they either actually are and/or actually were: introspective, corny, unsure, questionably dressed, whatever. "Gangstera" rap, on the other hand, generally (and alluringly) presents an image that's more in line with how they'd like to be: dynamic, assured, stylish, whatever.

I think it's very telling that roughly a hundred percent of the people I know who are so vocally against kufi rap--I mean, the people who really scream on it--went through some approximation of a kufi stage at some point.

I suspect that most people who so vehemently dislike "kufi" rap do so because they see in it something of themselves as they either actually are and/or actually were: introspective, corny, unsure, questionably dressed, whatever. "Gangstera" rap, on the other hand, generally (and alluringly) presents an image that's more in line with how they'd like to be: dynamic, assured, stylish, whatever.

I think it's very telling that roughly a hundred percent of the people I know who are so vocally against kufi rap--I mean, the people who really scream on it--went through some approximation of a kufi stage at some point.

speak the truth, James.

• Explain what Kufi-Rap is.

• And probably think FIRE ON THE BAYOU is the best Meters album.

Uh, hold up... that album is home to "They All Asked For You"... ever heard of the NOLA street test?

Of course. Why else do you think I waited til Archaic got booted before I said that?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

correlation or causality?

james i do think you're pretty on point. but at the same time i think it's important to realize just how much worse so called kufi rap has gotten in the past few years. i think the people who were loving this shit ten years ago might have more of a perspective to comment on just how bad say, electric circus is. i bet even the ruggedest of kufi rap haters around here would have a hard time speaking ill of, say, low end theory which more or less set the blueprint for all KR to follow. they'd be more likely to discredit the new little brother because, well, it's not very good.

• KUFI RAP DOESN'T EXIST UNLESS YOU LOOK FOR IT. WHY ARE YOU LOOKING?

• Look, this has nothing to do with anything, but why has no one talked about drunk Jim Jones saying KUFI SLAPPER in that video of them driving around London because that shit was classic.

KUFI SLAP VS KUFI RAP

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Damn, is my kufi showing?

• I suspect that most people who so vehemently dislike "kufi" rap do so because they see in it something of themselves as they either actually are and/or actually were: introspective, corny, unsure, questionably dressed, whatever. "Gangstera" rap, on the other hand, generally (and alluringly) presents an image that's more in line with how they'd like to be: dynamic, assured, stylish, whatever.

speak the truth, James.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

speak the truth, James.

Yeah, yeah; James made a good point, but there's no need for you little kufi dudes to now pile on with gratuitous "word"s and "speak on, son"s.

speak the truth, James.

Yeah, yeah; James made a good point, but there's no need for you little kufi dudes to now pile on with gratuitous "word"s and "speak on, son"s.

U mad, Young Dashiki?

• I suspect that most people who so vehemently dislike "kufi" rap do so because they see in it something of themselves as they either actually are and/or actually were: introspective, corny, unsure, questionably dressed, whatever. "Gangstera" rap, on the other hand, generally (and alluringly) presents an image that's more in line with how they'd like to be: dynamic, assured, stylish, whatever.

speak the truth, James.

And what's with all the snapping noises?

• Yeah, yeah; James made a good point, but there's no need for you little kufi dudes to now pile on with gratuitous "Eleggua know dat"s.

• Having said that - lyrics to Yo Yo Yo's second verse are some of the best I've heard in years.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

that's just the crackling on faux's well loved things fall apart double lp.

It's a lot deeper than that, James... kufi rap, as evidenced by everyone I know, is an outgrowth of basically middle and upper class kids in college, finding independence, finding themselves, spiritual/chemical/physical experimentation, not having a lot of money and wanting/needing to justify their situation through "it's better to be broke-yet-spritiually-inclined". I am/have been all of those things at one time or another, so I'm not pointing the finger, but I see how one grows out of it, or moves on. I do think hating it is strong words... I don't really know anyone that hates it. I know a lot of people who are ashamed to associate themselves with it. I don't think there's anything shameful about it, really. I once saw a dude in his early 20s walking with his mom... he was walking like a block ahead, doing whatever he could to appear to NOT be with his mom. Remember you used to do that shit when you were like 8? I really felt sorry and embarassed for him.... some kids never get over that "I can't walk down the street with my MOM!" thing though.

In the 70s, Bob Marley went international and changed pop music, rock music, and most of all reggae... this was fueled by college kids, basically safe and middle/upper class, who wanted to engage in something cooler and more rebellious musically. Through the time I was in college you'd have suburban kids growing dreads, huddling in dorm rooms passing "chalice" and blasting bob with posters of Selassie on the wall. Kufi rap is the slightly cooler cousin of that shit to me

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

that's just the crackling on faux's well loved things fall apart double lp.
    Hey, nice Kufi...

I bet my kufi is bigger than your kufi...PS what the hell is the orgin of "Kufi"? Please explain...

It's a lot deeper than that, James... kufi rap, as evidenced by everyone I know, is an outgrowth of basically middle and upper class kids in college, finding independence, finding themselves, spiritual/chemical/physical experimentation, not having a lot of money and wanting/needing to justify their situation through "it's better to be broke-yet-spritiually-inclined". I am/have been all of those things at one time or another, so I'm not pointing the finger, but I see how one grows out of it, or moves on. I do think hating it is strong words... I don't really know anyone that hates it. I know a lot of people who are ashamed to associate themselves with it. I don't think there's anything shameful about it, really. I once saw a dude in his early 20s walking with his mom... he was walking like a block ahead, doing whatever he could to appear to NOT be with his mom. Remember you used to do that shit when you were like 8? I really felt sorry and embarassed for him.... some kids never get over that "I can't walk down the street with my MOM!" thing though.

In the 70s, Bob Marley went international and changed pop music, rock music, and most of all reggae... this was fueled by college kids, basically safe and middle/upper class, who wanted to engage in something cooler and more rebellious musically. Through the time I was in college you'd have suburban kids growing dreads, huddling in dorm rooms passing "chalice" and blasting bob with posters of Selassie on the wall. Kufi rap is the slightly cooler cousin of that shit to me

word . the same shit can be said about middle class/suburban kids jumping on "gangsta rap" or a whole 'lot of other things.

P.S.

Why is Mac Dre the new Tupac for white boys in the bay?

• Yep - I think most people outgrow this shit with age - as with most shit that takes itself too seriously.

But speaking on people who "vehemently dislike "kufi" rap." They too are going through a "phase" and are also trying too hard to prove something about themselves (either to themselves and/or others.)

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Why is Mac Dre the new Tupac for white boys in the bay?

[ZIING]because he's dead? [/ZIIING]

i don't know, i thought it was kinda sweet when i saw a little 10 year old white kid buying his whole catalog with his mom when i was out there. i used to be that little dude.

• Why is Mac Dre the new Tupac for white boys in the bay?

i don't know, i thought it was kinda sweet when i saw a little 10 year old white kid buying his whole catalog with his mom when i was out there. i used to be that little dude.

word word. Motherfuckers in the suburbs to the "city" are like "RIP MAC D-R-E" or "DUDE!....dude PLAY SOME DRE...at least some Nikatina". Dude, you where jerking off to Kurt Kobains guitar work on "in utero" when he has doing his Cali Livin' thang....

• Why is Mac Dre the new Tupac for white boys in the bay?

word word. Motherfuckers in the suburbs to the "city" are like "RIP MAC D-R-E" or "DUDE!....dude PLAY SOME DRE...at least some Nikatina". Dude, you where jerking off to Kurt Kobains guitar work on "in utero" when he has doing his Cali Livin' thang....

I had a guy come into the shop and ask for some Dre Dog. I replied, "we've got this Nikatina record..." and he said, "no, Dre Dog"