NEW Wax Poetics

AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Scored one at the SD show.In my opinion it's a super dope issue (But then again I liked the John Klemmer issue)!Nice cover art collage and article/interview by pioneer Phase II. Also interview with DJ Muro and Jimmy McGriff I found interesting. I also am getting into the Yusef Lateef and Horsemouth things now. I'm sure it will piss people off that there is stuff on David Matthews and Yusef Lateef just like it did with the Klemmer but I say screw all the haters. Can anyone on this list even play sax? It's not an easy instrument you know.A good read. Get yours today.-Al

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Usually I get mine weeks after these posts go up.

I am glad to see that Dave Matthews, is the same Dave Matthews as the other Dave Matthews. I've always found that confusing. And, no! I do not mean that Dave Matthews.

Clear?

• I'm sure it will piss people off that there is stuff on Yusef Lateef

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Yeah sorry I meant David Matthews. The white dude that ripped the piano all through the 60-70 and played for James Brown and had that one Dune record on CTI among many others as illustrated in the article. I had no idea.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Seriously though... what are the chances that there would be 2 DIFFERENT PEOPLE named Dave Matthews???? AND they are both in the record game?! One of them shoulda changed their name to show a little goddam respect. Like, Matthew Daves or something.

Hi Al. I don't beleive we have met. I'm Gary.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    As a non-sax player, I am appalled and insulted by WP's recent choice in article subjects. I need to think long and hard about picking up this publication again. Thank you Al for the advance warning.

- Untalented But Still Somebody in NC

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Hi Al. I don't beleive we have met. I'm Gary.

I was just telling Al about the infamous Dizzy Bull this past weekend. Ha ha!

• I'm sure it will piss people off that there is stuff on David Matthews and Yusef Lateef just like it did with the Klemmer

I've got no problem with Lateef, he plays circles around Klemmer. Check his catalog, then compare it against Klemmer. No contest.

If Lateef was a lexus, klemmer would be a fuggin hot wheel.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    wasn't McGriff in the last issue?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    wasn't McGriff in the last issue?

part deux

• slushslush 691 Posts
    the sax is an easy instrument. you just gotta blow

talya ferro is nice

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

This pic was groovin' in perfect time to the cover of "I Want You" that Guzzo's playin' right now.

Eeek!!!

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    "the sax is an easy instrument. you just gotta blow
    talya ferro is nice"

As a saxophone player I'd like to say: no, it is not.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Thanks GNZ for backing me up.

I know that guy was probably just kidding, but seriously dude you cannot simply just BLOW. It's actually more of a TAAAaaaaaaa sound combined with a blow and believe me it's not easy.

But I agree Lateef is hype over Klemmer.

-a

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    who's hating on yusef?? I'm not.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    That Phase II collage cover is CRAZY.
    Looks like a good issue from what I've checked out so far. Soulstrut is represented!
    And by the way...

...this crazy li'l chick right here is OFF THE BENCHES. And I thought that monkey shit she was doing in the other animated gif was bananas- shorty done went next level like a mug! I AM FEELIN' THESE INSANE LITTLE ASIAN KAROAKE CHICKS.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    That Phase II collage cover is CRAZY.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

I AM FEELIN' THESE INSANE LITTLE ASIAN KAROAKE CHICKS.

WORD! I used to party with girls like this on the regular when I was in Japan in the 80s. When the song would break down and no lyrics were going across the screen, I would improvise and talk MAD SHIT! Most people did not know what I was talking about, so I would ACT A FOOL! This was in big karaoke bars in Shinjuku, not the karaoke boxes. There would be a big room with a bar and a stage with mics, disco lights, all dat. I would say all kinds of shit like "All you drunk ass salary men better get home soon before your wife kicks your ass and cuts off your allowance!" Then I'd clown their clothes and get Rodney Dangerfield on 'em and say "Nice suit, did you get a free bowl of ramen when you bought that?" I'd start rockin' it old school party style after that "All the ladies in the house say awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooo" Straight comedy. All the Japanese businessmen loved it! These fools would all come over to my table and pour me Johnny Walkers when I was done singing. Shig would be proud. I need to move to Japan. You can't have that kind of fun in Seattle.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    I'm sure it will piss people off that there is stuff on David Matthews and Yusef Lateef just like it did with the Klemmer

I've got no problem with Lateef, he plays circles around Klemmer. Check his catalog, then compare it against Klemmer. No contest.

Wasup with people dissing John Klemmer.... He has put out dope albums (stuff before Fresh Feathers) check out BLOOD OF THE SUN from the Magic and Movement LP....

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I'm sure it will piss people off that there is stuff on David Matthews and Yusef Lateef just like it did with the Klemmer

Wasup with people dissing John Klemmer.... He has put out dope albums (stuff before Fresh Feathers) check out BLOOD OF THE SUN from the Magic and Movement LP....

whatever, nice alias Klemmer.

• slushslush 691 Posts

as a former sax player, id like to say: play a fucking trumpet.

• I'm sure it will piss people off that there is stuff on David Matthews and Yusef Lateef just like it did with the Klemmer

I stand by my flat out no comparison assessment.

Lateef is LIVE AT PEPs.
    Klemmer couldn't get live if he fell on the third rail.

Lateef was dope through the mid 70s on Atlantic.
    Klemmer thinks he's the white grover washington jr.

Lateef has a doctrate and wrote eloquent liner notes.
    Klemmer got his GED when he was 34 and wrote bad checks.

Lateef is constantly good.
    Klemmer is... "CONSTANT THROB".

Lateef was on Impulse when he was playing sick flute.
    Klemmer got the "Impulse" to blow flute when everybody else was sick of him.

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts

as a former sax player, id like to say: play a fucking trumpet.

What's w/the hate? let's just have group sax hahaha...yeah.

by the way, john klemmer ain't even seeing yusef lateef. they are like 10 or 20 levels apart.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    still no 12" feature? anything disco/electro related?

keepon is gradually replacing waxpoetics as my fave mag.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

by the way, john klemmer ain't even seeing yusef lateef. they are like 10 or 20 levels apart.

that is very true and Free Soul is still the shit to me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    still no 12" feature? anything disco/electro related?

keepon is gradually replacing waxpoetics as my fave mag.

I'm also noticing a lack of modern soul shit up in there

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i bet Klemmer is a better sax player than some of you might expect

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

So true.

And it's cool how Lateef was just popular enough that you can collect a ton of his albums for peanuts...I have like 12 without even trying too hard, just grabbing them when they came up cheap.

One of the only expensive ones I used to see was:

This store near me wanted like $30 for it, and it sat there for years...I really wanted it because I collect the Charlie Parker label LP's pretty hardcore...I found it on a vacation in Chi for $5 in the shrizz...I did that old Toyota "what a feeling" shit...

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    it's basically a jazz magazine now. which is cool but not really what i'm looking to read about these days. i don't need to know that much about John Klemmer. nor Joe Zawinall.

but Jaco...i could read about him for days.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm Gary.

Yeah, you and the Chinese property broker I'm working with right now. I swear, you should have some friggin respect. Change your name to Ygar or something.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    it's basically a jazz magazine now. which is cool but not really what i'm looking to read about these days. i don't need to know that much about John Klemmer. nor Joe Zawinall.

CPR I don't think it's really a mag that's ever gonna devote a lot of coverage to your interests...

You don't go to the taqueria for spaghetti though, ya smell me? I mean... imagine Egon writing about disco. "Did you ever think that, by making "Heartbeat", you were basically becoming a hip-hop GOD???"