HIP HOP LESSONS #2- THE COLD CRUSH BROTHERS

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Any old school authority will tell you that the legendary Cold Crushin', Mother F**kin', Tough-ass Four Emcees had like hundreds of tapes with a multitude of routines and freestyle rhyme sessions that I could've chosen for this latest installment of my Hip Hop Lessons series (exclusive to Soulstrut???[/b]!). I decided to pick this certain classic Cold Crush routine because it kinda debunks a couple of myths about "real hip hop".
First of all, they are rhyming over Kraftwerk's "Numbers". Anybody who knows their history knows that this record is indeed an old school hip hop staple, but it surely does not have that UBB breakbeat sound, with a somewhat slow and funky live drumbreak ala "Impeach The President" or Melvin Bliss' "Synthetic Substitution". The computerized Kraftwerk sound was "that new shit" back then, for sure, but the context in which it was used made it totally a hip hop record.
Secondly, a lot of your backpack and thuglife generation real headz probably think a good performance is just standing on stage and walking back and forth- definitely no dancing and singing allowed if it's real hip hop. This couldn't be further from the truth. Early hip hip had a whole lot of singing (really off-key singing called harmonizing, but it was sooo fresh!). And elaborate dance routines that made them look more like the Temptations than the Wu-Tang Clan.

On this particular blast from the past you'll get a taste of one of the Cold Crush's singing routines (since those who only know them from their performace in the movie Wildstyle may have never really gotten a full example of how the CC4 got down). In a later history lesson I will drop another one of their routines to show the Cold Crush's more hardcore side. But trust me, at their height real headz knew that the Cold Crush RAN this rap shit just on street cred alone, with no hit records. Back in the early days of hip hop most groups seemed liked they tried to be as smooth as possible, but the Cold Crush Brothers sounded like the rawest, roughest shit imaginable at that time. TOO crude for a lot of people, but of course

Cold Crush Brothers "Get Up" Routine - Hoe Avenue Boys Club, 1981

"Sniff your blow, and rap to a ho"

(BTW, anybody who's interested in knowing more about the Cold Crush and old school hip hop history in general REALLY need to check out my man Jayquan's site The Foundation... so much knowledge dropped straight from the mouths of the pioneers of rap themselves. That site is a must-read for anybody who really cares about hip hop IMHO.)

Comments

• classin session
    thanks phil

the cooooooold cruuuuuuushhh

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Thanks! This beats the heck out of that new Fugee's.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Thanks Phill - much appreciated - my favorite all time old school act - even have their CBS Associated/Epic Records-distributed Tuff City 'Punk Rock Rap' single release although that record especially didn't really do 'em justice...

• Thanks for the lesson, Professor Soulman! I feel compelled to bring you an apple next session. ?

This is that REAL SHIT???. Though I must admit, I fear someone will take the time to hate.

Herm

• that kraftwerk man, that shit is bad.
    awaiting lesson 3.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    nice! Jayquan's site is also dope. I checked it the first time you posted about it.

thank you for continuing my education concerning "that real shit"

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Word!

• Thank you, Phill

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Going back to school never felt so good, thanks a lot, P_most. As much as I love all the classic disco, funk and rock breaks, I really have a strong affinity for the more electro-flavored stuff from that era like Kraftwerk and Yellow Magic Orchestra. "Numbers" is truly .

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    phill...

i know jay from down in richmond. did you ever hear his 45???

jay

slow and mellow

that cold crush shit was ill, btw. thanks

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I've been listening to that cold crush mp3 the whole morning at work, it's so dope!!!

Listeing to the clip it makes me wonder if hophop today and 30 years ago have much in common. It sometimes feels to me like something between a cargo cult and and a copy of a copy of a copy (based on my limited knowledge of hiphop and my day dreaming imagination ).

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Phill,

That was a great blast from the past, homie!!!! You gon' make me dig out my old mixtapes for some more inspiration. Cats like CCB is why I started DJin' and producing to begin with. Nothin' doper than hip-hop, done right, in the live forum!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    mr soulman thanks for opening up the history book and sharing some of those rare incredible pages...wow!!!
    this is from 1981, I was wondering how far back date-wise your oldschool tape collection stretches? do you have stuff from before 79 ?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I got this................

Ive been lookin for the CC4 boat ride. They do a routine to The Funk is ON by Instant Funk.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Whew!!!

Glad I didn't miss Lesson 2.
    (I don't feel tardy).

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    thanks Phill. i wish i had teachers like you back in school.

• yes phil.
    good looks.

• Thanks man...

Love all that shit, ever since I saw them in 85 on video of that 84 filmed BBC doco, 'History of Hip Hop' where they were wearing leather outfits & doing the 'Heartbreakers' routine I was sold. Such a shame they never made more records back in the prime of that era.

I remember when I wrote to the Zulu Nation in the late 80s they sent me a 10 page list of cassette tapes of live shows. But I couldn't afford the $20 a tape they wanted back then. I so regret it now. I know I still have the list somewhere in a box.

Aha found it... Watch the end of this segment...

http://www.hiphop-network.com/archives/outsidevideos/bbc-historyofhiphop-1984/bbc_hiphop-history12.asp

I really should pay & download some of the Cold Crush tapes from the Almighty KayGee's website come to think of it: http://www.hiporhop.com/

CCB today..

• this is from 1981, I was wondering how far back date-wise your oldschool tape collection stretches? do you have stuff from before 79 ?

I don't think I have anything older than 1978. At one time I think I had a DJ Hollywood tape from as far back as 1976... I doubt that I still have that, though. I do have stuff like the Furious 4 (before Rahiem joined the group) and also the Funky 4 when Rahiem was down with them... L Brothers, Funk Machine, Herculoids, all from 1978. I really would like to get some tapes of the Furious back when they were just calling themselves "The Emcees" or "The 3 Emcees"... that was the start of rap as we know it (I don't know if any of those tapes even exist, though). I'd also like to get some tapes of Grandmaster Caz aka Casanova Fly saying all those rhymes that he let Big Bank Hank use for "Rapper's Delight". That would predate his days with the Cold Crush by a couple of years, I guess.

• Nice...

• Excellent thread!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Excellent thread!
    saving to favorites.

• That's Gary Byrd, right?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    That's Gary Byrd, right?

Yeah, he's the narrator throughout that whole BBC docu. I got it on VHS. Recommended. The sections with Afrika Bambaata & The Soul Sonic Force and the one with Kool Herc driving around with big-ass speakers in the back of his car are classic. Love that dressing room scene. Too bad they cut off the snippet right when the two female MCs walk in the door and put the guys in check. Can't remember who it was. Been so long since I've put it on. Lisa Lee and another as far as I remember. Anyway it's dope as hell.

• That's Gary Byrd, right?

Yeah, he's the narrator throughout that whole BBC docu. I got it on VHS. Recommended. The sections with Afrika Bambaata & The Soul Sonic Force and the one with Kool Herc driving around with big-ass speakers in the back of his car are classic. Love that dressing room scene. Too bad they cut off the snippet right when the two female MCs walk in the door and put the guys in check. Can't remember who it was. Been so long since I've put it on. Lisa Lee and another as far as I remember. Anyway it's dope as hell.
    Thanks holmes!

• dope phil.

somebody should comp up these old school tapes. who cares about sound quality i would buy that shit ?

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    Big thanks for posting this Soulman!

• Oct.3,2005
    Classic Hip Hop and R+B at

CRASH MANSION
    199 Bowery St. off Spring St. Doors open at 9:00pm

performing will be The Beat Nuts

DJ's Charlie Chase (cold crush Brothers
    Dj Tony Tone (Cold Crush Brothers)
    DJ/MC Grand Master Caz (Cold Crush Brothers)
    DJ Handz and DJ Vinny V.

http://www.myspace.com/coldcrushbrothers

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    dope phil.

somebody should comp up these old school tapes. who cares about sound quality i would buy that shit ?

Serious..... Thanks Phil these threads are the shit