Grand Puba is making a comeback!

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Is anyone else excited to see Puba on the comeback trail? He was nice on the Beanie track and now i hear he's on the new Missy album? I'm not gonna say these are joints of the year - but this is an MC with style! That''s missing in hip-hop today...

Comments

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Ying Yang Twinz have style.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Jesus - can't we keep the "hip hop vs. rap" beef in one thread?

If dude likes Mr. Maxwell let him. This isn't directed to you Archaic but to everyone that goes round&round&round&round with the whole debate.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Man, that's a big bol.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    I liked the last Brand Nubian lp it was nice to me and I really liked the UDK b side with Mr. Maxwell... I think all he needs to do is do an LP with 9th and UDK and it would be ill... Plus he's rocking one of the best Jackets ever!

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Did anyone actually hear Puba's comeback LP from a couple years ago, "Understand This?" He did most of the production, and it was almost unlistenable.

He's gotta drop some dope solo tracks, not just high-profile cameos, before I break out my Grand Puba fishing vest (promo item from his 1st LP).

• Is anyone else excited to see Puba on the comeback trail? He was nice on the Beanie track and now i hear he's on the new Missy album? I'm not gonna say these are joints of the year - but this is an MC with style! That''s missing in hip-hop today...

I was playing my promo copy of Pete Rock and CL Smooth's and Puba has publishing credit on this, found it interesting that's all. go about your business canoodling.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    puba never really stopped. he took some breaks,but he keeps on trying.heads will check for him,but i dont think the industry is going to back it no matter how goodburger its sounds.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Is anyone else excited to see Puba on the comeback trail? He was nice on the Beanie track and now i hear he's on the new Missy album? I'm not gonna say these are joints of the year - but this is an MC with style! That''s missing in hip-hop today...

I was playing my promo copy of Pete Rock and CL Smooth's and Puba has publishing credit on this, found it interesting that's all. go about your business canoodling.

Puba wrote Pete Rock's rhymes...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    YOU LITTLE BOOGER

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Did anyone actually hear Puba's comeback LP from a couple years ago, "Understand This?" He did most of the production, and it was unlistenable.

True indeed, indeed true. I'll stick to old Brand Nubian joints and Puba's early solo work.

• Puba wrote Pete Rock's rhymes...

He shoulda delivered 'em, too.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    I always liked Pete Rock on the mic..."the Chocolate Boy Wonder making heads bop."

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    I was just playing ???Wake up??? of the first Brand Nubian album the other day and damn man Puba was so fuckin sick on the M.I.C.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    Did anybody hear his track "Just Music"? from the second Nobody beats the beats album? It came out in 2003. He's rapping over a beat which used the same bobby bland sample as dilated peoples. Madlib also used the sample for an interlude on a Declaime EP. But who the hell cares?

try this link, it's just titled "CONTEXT: Just music":

http://www.universalmusic.dk/artist_album.asp?id=2682#

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    My man Kero just did a remix him. Some indie label from out here is going to put it out. It's definetly more of that "classic" Grand Puba sound and not for nothing, I like what my man did.