Kid Jazz 12" on Rhyme Syndicate. Exist: Yes/No?

idiotproofidiotproof 880 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I have in my possession the cassette copy of a Kid Jazz single. It's buried in a box somewhere here & all I can remember was that it had 2 songs on it & it was given away at the NMS in 1990. I remember it being pretty awesome. But then the label seemed to have died not long after. My favourite 12" on the label is the Nile Kings 'Dropping Bombs'. shame the label died so quickly. All solid music.I've come up blank forever & Discogs.com is no use. They don't even include Divine Styler.I just want to know if it exists at all. It's been a fruitless 15 year search.Oh & while you're here, does anyone know wether Tat Money's early 90s crew Ebony Broadcast System put their album, 'Broadcastin' out on wax. I think they had 2 12" singles.I've only ever found the tape version on Ebay.

Comments

• I had never heard of this (and I went to NMS 11 too).

I posted about Rhyme Syndicate Records a year or two ago here and got a few replies but not a lot.

• My ex-wife went & she took loads of good photos of everyone. The tape was one of many. Blvd Mosse, was another I remember.
    My friends from Melbourne performed, The AKA Brothers. Funkenklein hooked it up. I think Major Force from Japan & a Danish crew, Phase 5/Solid Posse (?) also performed. On the same stage as Brand Nubian, Ultras, KMD (?), etc...

Thanks anyway John.
    Looks like I'll have to ask that fella in Colombia again... Ha!

• Was this a Kid Jazz solo record? Wasn't he part of a group on Rhyme Syndicate?

• Yeah it was a solo thing. I just can't recall which crew he was down with. I can't find any info on the dude. I asked Ice T & even he couldn't remember, at the time I asked him anyway. Dolt!

Kid Jazz gave a copy of the promo tape to my ex. He won the emcee battle & Steve D won the DJ battle of that year. She got to see Miz & Freshco (winners of the previous year) do the tracks from their 'We Don't Play' 12".
    Later that night Lench Mob & ATL had thier punch-up in the Marriot Hotel.

• Was it Domination? Was that Kid Jazz & Kid Scratch? I have a Domination twelve inch somewhere but all my hip hop twelves are boxed up at the minute.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Yeah, from memory Domination was Kid Scratch & Kid jazz.. I think they dropped a 12" that wasn't too terrific, but their track on the 'Rhyme Syndicate Comin' Through' compilation LP was pretty dope.

'You Haven't Heard Nothing'... that was the name of the cut...

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Oh & while you're here, does anyone know wether Tat Money's early 90s crew Ebony Broadcast System put their album, 'Broadcastin' out on wax. I think they had 2 12" singles.

Haha... yeah, I was just wondering the same thing! I have that 'Skillz/Funky Rye-men' single.. and the other single should be coming soon in the mail.

I saw that tape just go for $109 on eBay... has anyone here got any MP3s from that one?

• Yeah, from memory Domination was Kid Scratch & Kid jazz.. I think they dropped a 12" that wasn't too terrific, but their track on the 'Rhyme Syndicate Comin' Through' compilation LP was pretty dope.

'Something Mellow' is the single I have. I really liked it at the time. I haven't listened to it for years though.

• Yeah, from memory Domination was Kid Scratch & Kid jazz.. I think they dropped a 12" that wasn't too terrific, but their track on the 'Rhyme Syndicate Comin' Through' compilation LP was pretty dope.

'Something Mellow' is the single I have. I really liked it at the time. I haven't listened to it for years though.

AAAH. I have "Something Mellow", B-side is much more harder than the A, but I've always liked "Something Mellow".

Here we go:

DOMINATION

(Rhyme Syndicate/Epic 49-73144)

Side 1

I Need Something Mellow (Vocal Version)

I Need Something Mellow (Instrumental)

Side 2

Move Your Body (Vocal Version)

Move Your Body (Instrumental)

Back At It Again (Vocal Version)

Still one of my favorite records.

----

(MINUTES LATER)

I looked at Discogs just now and apparently it's listed under Epic, not Rhyme Syndicate. I'll see if I can edit this.

EDIT[/b]

I also added Donald D's "Notorious" 12" to the discography.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Idiotproof, I just talked to Tat and he said that they didn't put the album out on wax. Just the EP and the "Skills" Remix 12". He is going to get me the EBS album though so I can hit you off with that when I get it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Idiotproof, I just talked to Tat and he said that they didn't put the album out on wax. Just the EP and the "Skills" Remix 12". He is going to get me the EBS album though so I can hit you off with that when I get it.

"man I don't have an original tape for myself. That's crazy. Only 500 made. We were literally selling them out the trunk."

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    radd

• Idiotproof, I just talked to Tat and he said that they didn't put the album out on wax. Just the EP and the "Skills" Remix 12". He is going to get me the EBS album though so I can hit you off with that when I get it.

Serious bro? That'd be mighty nice. Paying $109 for a cassette really isn't my thing. If I was on tapestrut.com maybe I'd be into it. Sounds like Tat is a gracious cat though. Yeah, let me know. Put me down...

Now we just need Prince Paul to release the Resident Alien album.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Serious bro? That'd be mighty nice. Paying $109 for a cassette really isn't my thing. If I was on tapestrut.com maybe I'd be into it. Sounds like Tat is a gracious cat though. Yeah, let me know. Put me down...

Now we just need Prince Paul to release the Resident Alien album.

I got teh Residen Alien album on MP3. Get at me dude.

And yeah, Tat is my main man and he's duder that dude.

'You Haven't Heard Nothing'... that was the name of the cut...

There was also a 12" of this, a split thing with Toddy Tee's "I Need a Rolex." I would love to hear the cassingle. Kid Jazz was sick.

"My voice is so fresh I don't need no vocoder."

• There was also a 12" of this, a split thing with Toddy Tee's "I Need a Rolex."

I love that song, I have the Rhyme Syndicate LP. Actually, I was just listening to that in the car the other day.

The guy sounds like a dumbass, but it's still good shit.

I Need a Rolex I I I I Need A Rolex IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

• Now we just need Prince Paul to release the Resident Alien album.

He had told me at one point he had plans on releasing it, the masters that existed back then were still good enough for release, so far nothing. The entire album is great, and who knows how it would have changed Paul's production legacy at that point. It's partly due to this album that lead him towards the Gravedigga route.