Folk recommendations

TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
edited September 2005 in Music Talk
this record is blowing my mind right, what are some records with a similar sound?

Comments

• this record is blowing my mind right, what are some records with a similar sound?

I think these are really the same records but with different covers. Especially the first track. Check out the Spokesmen "Dawn Of Correction" LP and the first Pearls Before Swine LP.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    to me the Hamilton Camp has a much sadder tone than anything S$G ever did. ive got that Pearls Before Swine, how is that Spokesmen?

• how is that Spokesmen?

It's mainly covers, but it's a little more up beat than S&G. It's not for everyone but there are some cool tracks.

• to me the Hamilton Camp has a much sadder tone than anything S$G ever did. ive got that Pearls Before Swine, how is that Spokesmen?

just making sure this thread isn't broken.

Folkwise, I'm digging all the Pentangle and related output. Start there and branch out.

i dont know why i put a dollar sign, i meant to put an "and" sign. ive got the pentangles first album, thats a dope one.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

You have any of Randy Burns lp's on esp disk mack? Nice stuff.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This book:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    $.99 heatrock... no joke.

More Hurley:

Attached files

• Hamilton Camp is in Eating Raoul. He's sort of a cornball but I keep his other album "Here's To You."

You have any of Randy Burns lp's on esp disk mack? Nice stuff.
    nope. they nice?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I like this one...Is it folk? dunno...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

that's a good one!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Sai Yoshiko. "Mangekyou" LP. Crazy Japanese Psych Folk LP with Yuji Ohno production.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this one's not that good...

Jim O'rourke "bad timing"

• how is that Spokesmen?

It's mainly covers, but it's a little more up beat than S&G. It's not for everyone but there are some cool tracks.

I have a single of their only hit, "Dawn Of Correction" (answer record to "Eve Of Destruction"). I like it, but I doubt if they should be mentioned in a folk thread. I think (but I'm not sure) that the group was a trio of Brill Building songwriters who wrote and recorded "D.O.C." just to cash in on the folk-rock thing (big shit in '65, or whenever that came out).

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This one's not bad - some claim Hendrix copped his arrangement of "Hey Joe" from the version on here. I'm not sold on that, but it is a damn good version. Has some of those highly regarded "funky tinges" too, courtesy of Pretty Purdie on drums and up in the mix, as well as Chuck Rainey on a couple of tracks, etc.

Tim Hardin's albums can be found everywhere for pennies, and they all have some good tracks on them. The "Best of" above is a nice collection of tracks from the first 2 Verve albums, and is definitely worth spending the dollar it will cost you on. The one below, though, Suite for Susan Moore, I think is the most likely to bear stamp-of-approval...a little harder to pull than the Verve stuff, but still easily available. Get a clean copy, though, cause it's a quiet album:

thanks for the recommendations guys.

heres some i recommend

Jake Holmes-above Ground
    Tony Mason-Brick by Brick(private folk album with one incredible downer folk track)
    Wheatones-in the nick of time(this one is pretty happy, but it's good throughout)
    Donovan-HMS(this album rules. someone get me a cleaner copy)

yeah, ive got that John Fahey too. thats a good 'un

• Cockroach Symphony.

damn, ive seen that before. it's a facemelter?

BTW, im looking for folk recommendations for shit that sound like Simong and Garfunkel. i dont care about funk in my folk and stuff like that. just give me that mellow sad shit.

thanks again to everyone

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    yeah, the funk was kind of a plus.
    the tim hardin will have you weepin' in your cheerio's, d.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• Bonnie Dobson -- s/t
    Bonnie Dobson -- Good Morning Rain
    Linda Perhacs -- Parallelograms

And one released recently

Iron & Wine -- s/t

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i just passed on the ST bonnie dobson record.. didnt seem all that. mistake???

• "Winter's Going" hits like a spiked bat to the groin.
    Also has the OG version of "Morning Dew".
    A couple other decent tracks as well.
    Definitely not as listenable on the whole as Good Morning Rain, but still solid as far as folk records go.