best way to hang records?

awallawall 673 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
what are ya'll's methods for puting your rares on the wall? i've never been able to do it with total success, shit always falls down. and i want to hang a bunch. suggestions?

Comments

• do it brasil style, hang on an angle from a tack.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    for my record wall I took Japanese sleeves and used double sided tape. for the top row and normal plastic sleves for the 2 rows under (that way its easier to interchange them)

• sup awall -
    1st thanks for the new orleans heatrocks, funny i've actually been listening to the meters all day!

i just get a plastic LP cover, put 4 pieces of packing tape on the back corners and stick it to the wall... putting the open side on the top so the cardboard doesn't fall out. oh ya i leave the actual record in a different sleeve. cheap, but it holds up pretty well.

peace -k

• awallawall 673 Posts
    hang on an angle from a tack.

i've tried the double sided tape with plastic sleeves before but that shit never seems to hold for some reason.

• d o h
    i t y p e t o o s l o w

• maybe the paint on your wall doesn't like tape...
    i've used blue putty wall tack before, but it left weird stains on the wall when i removed it.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    d o h
    i t y p e t o o s l o w

what you seem to be suggesting seems slightly different though. you use regular packing tape and double it up on itself? another complaint (which might be unavoidable) with the plastic sleeves is that they don't fit records tight enough and they look loose and wavy and sometimes sag out a bit.

and glad to see you enjoyed the heatrocks.

• maybe i think about records too much, but i can't really look at records on my walls. the idea just puts me off. keep in mind i own and work at a record store, maybe that has something to do with it. not knockin yall that do, just me personally, i get nausea from staring at records on walls.

• ya, just fold it over so it becomes double sided tape. i just remembered i put more tape than i said - 4 pieces on the corners, and another 4 in the middle of each side. i hear ya on the loose sleeves.

a long time ago i had rope tied high across the wall and i used clothes pins to hold record covers up. kinda like photos in a darkroom.
    ya..

• what are ya'll's methods for puting your rares on the wall? i've never been able to do it with total success, shit always falls down. and i want to hang a bunch. suggestions?

i use stick pins...japanese resealables plastics around the lps.

• maybe i think about records too much, but i can't really look at records on my walls. the idea just puts me off. keep in mind i own and work at a record store, maybe that has something to do with it. not knockin yall that do, just me personally, i get nausea from staring at records on walls.

I'm with ya mang. Keep em in the shelves.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that there are professional record plastic covers for hanging records on a wall. my local record store has those. don't know where to get them though.

here's what i did in my old apartment:

attach a wooden slat (is that the correct word?) to your wall properly and then put your records on that slat leaning them against the wall. works well. cheap and easy. i put two of those slats on my wall. one below the other. looks dope too!

• what are ya'll's methods for puting your rares on the wall? i've never been able to do it with total success, shit always falls down. and i want to hang a bunch. suggestions?

Yep. Stick pins is what I use. But I would advise taking the vinyl OUT of the cover when hanging the records with stick pins (or any other method that isn't 100% fall-proof). The last thing you want is one of your raers to come tumblin' down and possibly shatter on contact.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    what are ya'll's methods for puting your rares on the wall? i've never been able to do it with total success, shit always falls down. and i want to hang a bunch. suggestions?

where would one accquire these japanese plastic sleeves?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

japan

• awallawall 673 Posts

japan

okay i'll just fly over and buy some.

hey noz, what was that record with all of the ears on the cover that was on your set sale list?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

japan

okay i'll just fly over and buy some.

ha i keed. how do these japanese ones differ from ones you'd get at, say, bags unlimited?

hey noz, what was that record with all of the ears on the cover that was on your set sale list?

NTSU joint.

• where would one accquire those moods for drama?

I could send you a shelf for one.

• Hmm.

"Awall" is figuring how to post shit on "a wall"

A, uh ..

That is all.

Japanese Resealable Sleeves

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Get some 3/4-inch molding, paint it the same color as the wall, nail it on. That's the grown and sexy way. (I took all of my covers down, though--so they wouldn't get faded.)

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that there are professional record plastic covers for hanging records on a wall. my local record store has those. don't know where to get them though.

attach a wooden slat (is that the correct word?) to your wall properly and then put your records on that slat leaning them against the wall. works well. cheap and easy. i put two of those slats on my wall. one below the other. looks dope too!

i went to home depot and found some wooden slats like these that had little grooves in them so that the lps can rest in the groove while leaning against the wall. works perfectly and it's super easy to take down and put up new records.

• legend: can you hip me to that I Gres record? I've seen it in a few folks collections but have no clue what that is about.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    legend: can you hip me to that I Gres record? I've seen it in a few folks collections but have no clue what that is about.

drum breaks, loops and raw funk - it's really something for producers and library heads. still one of my favorites, although some tracks go into some weirdness and even cheesiness. i think that white i gres lp is the only one you should buy. i didn't dig the others by i gres.

legend, please make sure to mark that i gres lp if you're ever selling it. i would be curious to know if i get the same copy when i buy me an i gres again. i usually mark some of my records, so that i know when i find a copy that belonged to me before. i forgot to mark the i gres.

• A little pricey but classy.

I found two of these at the local Goodwill here a few years ago for 99 cents a piece.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

A little pricey but classy.

I found two of these at the local Goodwill here a few years ago for 99 cents a piece.

$12-ish at turntable lab. (birthday present for the roommate, honestly think they're a little )

• A little pricey but classy.

$12-ish at turntable lab. (birthday present for the roommate, honestly think they're a little )

its fucked up to think about someone actually using one of these frames to hang that Go-Go's record

• I'm pretty sure that there are professional record plastic covers for hanging records on a wall. my local record store has those. don't know where to get them though.

i went to home depot and found some wooden slats like these that had little grooves in them so that the lps can rest in the groove while leaning against the wall. works perfectly and it's super easy to take down and put up new records.

Can you post photos of this (even taken from the internet)? I was looking for something similar at home depot but didn't find it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Can you post photos of this (even taken from the internet)? I was looking for something similar at home depot but didn't find it.

Ikea will have what you're looking for - they make them out of wood & they had a metal model, too. Its meant for displaying plates & such. When I remember the name, i'll post it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Ikea will have what you're looking for - they make them out of wood & they had a metal model, too. Its meant for displaying plates & such. When I remember the name, i'll post it.

I'm a little skeptical on the shelf-style. I think flat objects should be stored
    as upright as possible minimizing warpage due to gravity. I'm speaking from the uptight/anal artmuseum perspective.