Sly Stone 1966

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Hi, I found a CD at my house last night of Sly Stone from 1966 with Freddie Stewart and Billy Preston in the band. It's basically a garage rock record. It's called Family Affair, though the song is not on the CD and has a picture of Sly Stone on the cover, but it looks like a much later photo of him...Does anyone know more about this record? Like is it on vinyl and why it's called Family Affair? Did the record company find this thing and not know what to do with it so they slapped a recognizable name and photo on it and released it? It's really good.Thanks.

Comments

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I'm curious what songs are on it.

I have a mid-60s 45 by Sly on Autumn, "Buttermilk", and I know he recorded at least one more. I am wondering if this CD of yours is a collection of Autumn sides that he did.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Hi, I found a CD at my house last night of Sly Stone from 1966 with Freddie Stewart and Billy Preston in the band. It's basically a garage rock record. It's called Family Affair, though the song is not on the CD and has a picture of Sly Stone on the cover, but it looks like a much later photo of him...

Does anyone know more about this record? Like is it on vinyl and why it's called Family Affair? Did the record company find this thing and not know what to do with it so they slapped a recognizable name and photo on it and released it?

It's really good.

Thanks.

I don't have this CD, but I have a similar package on Ace called PRECIOUS STONE. Not only does it contain tracks recorded with Billy Preston, but there are also early productions he did on R&B singers like Bobby Freeman.

As far as the Preston connection, I understand that just prior to Sly & the Family Stone, the two men were slated to form a band called the Sons of Ray (as in Charles). Even then, they were influenced by a lot of white rock, so those songs are basically awkward Dylanesque lyrics over garage-rock backdrops. This didn't come to pass, as Sly was continually late for rehearsals (surprise). Sly did, however, arrange some tracks (uncredited) on Billy's WILDEST ORGAN IN TOWN! album on Capitol.

Now, what is the deal with that RECORDED IN SAN FRANCISCO: 1964-66 album on Sculpture that always turns up in the used bins? One track is some middle-aged white guy reciting the religious parable "Deck Of Cards!" No music, no nothin' 'cept the sound of this man's voice!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I don't have it here with me, the three I remember are "Something Bad" (sludgy rock, almost like The Gories), "Heart of Fire" (scorcher, slow and sexy) and "As I Get Older" (poppy/trippy).

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Now, what is the deal with that RECORDED IN SAN FRANCISCO: 1964-66 album on Sculpture that always turns up in the used bins? One track is some middle-aged white guy reciting the religious parable "Deck Of Cards!" No music, no nothin' 'cept the sound of this man's voice!

Isn't that Sly himself, reciting the old T. Texas Tyler jernt?

I find "Life Of Fortune And Fame," off that same record, to be a really compelling song.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Mr.PickWick - yea this one was recorded in SF in 1966, but no religious recital.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I find "Life Of Fortune And Fame," off that same record, to be a really compelling song.

yeah that is Sly speaking. Rock Dirge was a pretty entertaining ttrack too.

By the way If you take the deck of cards track and place Idris Muhammads Lorans dance under it, it becomes that much more deeper

• Sly produced/arranged Preston's mid-60's LP (and non LP 45s) on Capitol (after his VeeJay stuff). You can hear Sly singing backup on a couple of tracks.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Didn't Preston also play on some of Sly's later albums when he dropped the whole Family Stone band and was doing much of the rhythm tracks himself?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    sly grew up and was raised in the church up in vallejo right here in the bay area. jesse james (20th century, mca, hit, etc) was great friends with slys pop and was the only person that the father would let sly run around with at the nightclubs out here. so anything religious sounding would probably come from his early days.

larry graham, ted wysinger, joe thomas, eugene blacknell, etc was where sly got a lot of his influences from (im assuming this because these were some of the bigger dudes in the game at the time he was trying to make it).

slys sound and style also came from leon patillo from leons creation. so much so that sly bought all the rights to the studio 10 sessions and dumped them in the garbage so nothing would come of it. no competition... free reign for sly.

also his brother freddy had a band called freddy and the stone souls that, at one time or another, contained a lot of the local talent that was around. so just prior to the time that sly was getting his shit together he was learning a lot from these cats.

overall though anyone, i mean ANYONE, who was involved with music was trying to catch up to johnny tolbert (jasman recs). image, stage presence, sound, etc... he is the man that created the local funky scene. that oakland stroke that Toni Tony Tone talked about was created by that man.

anyway... theres some history for yall...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

had this once before and found it again this weekend out in alabama.

yeah, that Deck of Cards track is totally off its rocker.

But the final cut.. is it "Rock Dirge".... pretty dope funk tune w/ wicked braeks. I used to see this for $40 in NYC at high end shops... kinda nuts 'cause this a Trip or Upfront type re-release (but maybe only 45 material) on Sculpture. It's pretty cool.

• I have a mid-60s 45 by Sly on Autumn, "Buttermilk", and I know he recorded at least one more.

This is a great little 45.. When do you think it came out?

And what's the other track on that label?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

yeah that is Sly speaking.

Okay. The one time I heard it, it was when I was working in a record store and gave that album a quick needle swipe before moving on. I wasn't listening long enough to tell it was Sly - I just figured somebody at the label ran out of tracks and needed some filler!

Miss Bassie: of those three tracks you mentioned, only one of them is on the PRECIOUS STONE comp I have, "As I Get Older." Love the "Louie Louie"-ish "Underdog," which sounds like a blueprint for Mick Collins' career. (Ironic, since Collins covered "Underdog" with the Dirtbombs, only it's based on the version Sly did on the WHOLE NEW THING debut.)

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    I have a mid-60s 45 by Sly on Autumn, "Buttermilk", and I know he recorded at least one more.

From soulfulkindamusic:

Autumn 14 - Buttermilk Pt. 1 / Buttermilk Pt. 2 - 1965
    Autumn 26 - Temptation Walk Pt. 1 / Temptation Walk Pt. 2 - 1965

I'd like to bump into the other 45. Anyone have it?

Funky16?

• I have a mid-60s 45 by Sly on Autumn, "Buttermilk", and I know he recorded at least one more.

From soulfulkindamusic:

Autumn 14 - Buttermilk Pt. 1 / Buttermilk Pt. 2 - 1965
    Autumn 26 - Temptation Walk Pt. 1 / Temptation Walk Pt. 2 - 1965

I'd like to bump into the other 45. Anyone have it?

Funky16?

I have the 'Rock Dirge' 45 (on Woodcock I think...). Those Autumn 45s are intriguing though...

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Good shit jinxy. You are the man hommie.

• sly grew up and was raised in the church up in vallejo right here in the bay area. jesse james (20th century, mca, hit, etc) was great friends with slys pop and was the only person that the father would let sly run around with at the nightclubs out here. so anything religious sounding would probably come from his early days.

larry graham, ted wysinger, joe thomas, eugene blacknell, etc was where sly got a lot of his influences from (im assuming this because these were some of the bigger dudes in the game at the time he was trying to make it).

slys sound and style also came from leon patillo from leons creation. so much so that sly bought all the rights to the studio 10 sessions and dumped them in the garbage so nothing would come of it. no competition... free reign for sly.

also his brother freddy had a band called freddy and the stone souls that, at one time or another, contained a lot of the local talent that was around. so just prior to the time that sly was getting his shit together he was learning a lot from these cats.

overall though anyone, i mean ANYONE, who was involved with music was trying to catch up to johnny tolbert (jasman recs). image, stage presence, sound, etc... he is the man that created the local funky scene. that oakland stroke that Toni Tony Tone talked about was created by that man.

anyway... theres some history for yall...

beautiful