Plane Circling LBC...

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    oh no.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yikes. I used to fly jet blue into LBC.

• my homegirl just called me and told me about this... not good. Got my fingers crossed...

• where's stein?

• seems like they are headed to lax for an emergency landing.

• you can see live coverage on nbc4 - http://www.nbc4.tv

• Options
    On CNN too.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    this story is crazy, I haven't seen the indepth reporting just heard it on the drive. Are they mentioning the probability that this can go wrong, if so how confident/ unconfident do they sound that this will owrk out ok?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I heard on CNN that they jettisoned the plane's fuel reserves so that it won't go up in the even of a rough landing. They don't know if they will try to land the plane on its 2 wheels or on its belly.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    this shit is crazy, i havent heard about a plane crash/malfunction in a while, for one reason or another

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't have TV but my mom just said they landed it safely, right?

• Options

Yeah, that was SCARY. That was seriously some ishness

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

right!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dudes, I just watched that shit on CNN. BEYOND FACE MELTING.

• how did they land? two wheels then onto one? anyone have the play by play?

• on the back wheels most fo the way... talk about a sick pilot... Dude is beyond dude... That was unreal.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    on the back wheels most fo the way... talk about a sick pilot... Dude is beyond dude... That was unreal.

Whoever built the fucking front wheel strut is dude.

So here's the play-by-play.

-Plane takes off from Burbank, headed for JFK.

-The crew realize there's a problem with the front wheel. Shit is cocked horizontal instead of pointing straight.

-The plane is too heavy b/c of all the fuel so they have to circle a bit to burn it off, make the plane lighter (ergo, easier to land).

-They finally come in.

-Pilot basically pops a wheelie for as long as he can and then eases that shit onto the front strut.

-The wheels do NOT turn and instead, the pilot is literally burning rubber. The tires are bursting into flames. INTO FLAMES.

-You keep waiting to see if the strut is going to hold and lo and behold...the shit holds.

-Plane stops. People clap. Larry King sounds like an idiot. Everyone disembarks.

-The end.

• Options
    Larry King sounds like an idiot.

What a schmuck. I had to switch over to CNBCAsia, at least they showed some emotion. Plane makes the landing of a lifetime, and the first thing Larry King asks was "now did they foam the runway? Where are the firetrucks?" in the most even, dead tone of all time. You hear people in the CNN studio clapping in the background and Larry can barely muster a "holy pakora" or anything. What a robot.

• can't even imagine what you'd be thinking about if you were on that plane

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I bet everyone on that plane is getting drunk tonight.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    those pilots should be given medals and fat retirement pensions.

• hah instead they are getting their pensions cut, lowering health benifits, and probably don't even get a meal on their next flight.

• hah instead they are getting their pensions cut, lowering health benifits, and probably don't even get a meal on their next flight.

now now, their pensions aren't being cut, the airlines are all declaring bankruptcy so that the govt. pension insurance has to pay it -- with our tax money. fuckers will fly on in bankrupcy indefinetly while the govt. rewrites bankrupcy laws to fuck individuals and small businesses. america needs to nationalize our airline industry like yesterday.

• Options
    There was a couple seconds there I thought the flaming tire was getting pretty close the body of the plane.

K.

• those pilots should be given medals and fat retirement pensions.

• There was a couple seconds there I thought the flaming tire was getting pretty close the body of the plane.

K.
    thankfully it didn't.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    watching that shit live was nerve racking. i can't handle another catastrophe.

have to cross our fingers this weekend.

• i can't handle another catastrophe.

i can't go on this way. for real..

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    just got an article on the flight through the E! website.

My main man/ doppelganger DJ Qualls was aboard this flight

Hustle" Stars Survive JetBlue Scare

by Charlie Amter

Sep 22, 2005, 4:40 PM PT

On almost any New York-bound plane out of the Los Angeles area, chances are a celebrity will be on board.

The ill-fated JetBlue Flight 292 was no exception.

Hustle & Flow stars Taryn Manning and DJ Qualls were among the 145 passengers and crew on the plane en route from Burbank's Bob Hope Airport to New York's JFK Wednesday that was forced to make an emergency landing due to defective landing gear.

"Yesterday was a life changing day," Manning said in a statement released by her publicist Thursday. "The pilot is a true hero. I'm thankful to be alive."

In an interview with Access Hollywood, Manning said she, Qualls and her publicist were heading to New York to promote Hustle & Flow. The actress-singer said the pilot notified the passengers early on that there was a problem and the plane would have to land at Los Angeles International Airport.

"You never think it is going to happen to you," she said. "I wrote little notes to my boyfriend and to my mom and brother...I was not wanting to be writing what I was writing. Everybody was putting their IDs on them. It was scary."

Manning and Qualls were not the only Hollywood types on board. One Life to Live actor Tuc Watkins was heading to New York. He plans to recount his harrowing experience on The View Friday.

Early reports claimed that Nip/Tuck star Kelly Carlson (Kimber) was also a passenger on the hobbled jet, but FX tells E! she was not on the flight.

In a drama that played out live on television across the United States Wednesday afternoon, the Airbus A320 jet circled the skies of Southern California before touching down at LAX with a front wheel facing the wrong direction.

Manning, Qualls and the other passengers had access to MSNBC and Fox News via JetBlue's in-flight TVs, with many watching their plane and hearing various commentators predicting the outcome of the emergency landing. The sets went dark about 15 minutes before the plane descended.

"We couldn't believe the irony, that we were watching our own demise on TV--it was post-post-modern," passenger Alexandra Jacobs, a reporter for the New York Observer told CNN.

Because the plane needed to land nose up, the crew ushered passengers and their carry-ons to the rear of the plane. Passengers had to assume the crash position, head between knees, as the Airbus made its final approach. One flight attendant yelled, "Brace! Brace! Brace!"

The pilot, Scott Burke, made a textbook landing on a cleared-out runway, surrounded by emergency vehicles. Qualls was later spotted milling about with fellow passengers, who were shuttled to the main terminal and rerouted to New York.