PRIMER (DVD Related)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Finally got to see this tonight, nice work. Definitely a strong first film from a first time director. A little heady if you try to break it down but thematically/symbolically, it's killer.

Anyone else up on this?

http://www.primermovie.com/

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    we spent 20 minutes in the theater trying to figure out the last half of the movie.

we didn't.

my friend just got it on dvd, we're watching it again tomorrow night.

• darendaren 28 Posts
    I saw this in the theatre. Not a bad film, although the pace seemed quite slow. I pretty much figure out the whole time traveling biz in the end.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I've been waiting to get that on NetFlix. Have you checked out THIS one? I loved it. Borrows heavily from the Saving Private Ryan cinematography school, but I'm not complaining. Best Korean War movie I've seen. Are there even that many? Manchuraian Candidate is overrated.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Finally got to see this tonight, nice work. Definitely a strong first film from a first time director. A little heady if you try to break it down but thematically/symbolically, it's killer.

Anyone else up on this?

http://www.primermovie.com/

weird, i saw this last night too. shit was BRILLIANT. apparently the dude that wrote, directed and starred in it was an engineer who had no background in film.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Yah, watched it with the commentary and the director Shane Curruth was going into all the minutiae about his filmaking process, i.e., what kind of lights they bought from Walmart to make the 1 shot, they only had one chance at making a shot work since he is a cheapskate on an insane limited budget, etc.

The whole time I just wanted the dude to about the specifics of the story, or at least let us in a little towards the end, but I guess he wants you to revisit the movie more than once to catch the intricacies.

Aaron0 vs Aaron1
    Earpiece(!!!)
    Abe0 vs Abe1
    Birds and Geckos
    etc

lottsa subtleties but a nice payoff if you can follow it through

the ending does seem like a mishmash but I think that's the point