Ghostface Meets Metal Face

2»

Comments

• "Apollo Kids" (but I love everything else on that album, too).

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    "Buck 50"

Redman's opening "Yo...yo..." is the sound of a Driver's Ed teacher taking the wheel away from a student who's all over the road at 15mph. One of the most illustrative moments in hip-hop ever. I love that shit.

And I can understand why folks don't like "Stroke Of Death," but I just see it as part of the JB/Lee Perry/Dipset "Listen, I do whatever the fuck I want" continuum. Fake applause and sixty seconds of an entirely different track dropped in the middle? Fine. Goat noises? Fine. ESPN samples? Fine. Off-tempo backspin? Fine. I think that we've gotten so used to Ghost's berzerkness being counterbalanced by tracks that bang more or less conventionally that hearing out-of-control dude over an out-of-control track feels unnatural, like some kind of mistake, when it really couldn't be less so. I mean, Ghost is obviously something of a lunatic, and is probably destined to either end up on some Black President shit in some compound somewhere and/or go down on some Chuck Berry shit for filming girls in the bathroom; dude is clearly watching an entirely different movie than the rest of us, yet folks act like whacked-out shit like this track is out of the blue, and (in more dramatic moments) act like it's some kind of betrayal. But, you know, "That tiger didn't go crazy--that tiger went tiger." I sure wouldn't go so far as to say anybody doesn't like this track doesn't like hip-hop, but I would say that anyone who doesn't think this track is at least worth listening to--who thinks that this isn't "the real Ghost" (just like fat Elvis couldn't possibly have been "the real Elvis")--isn't really listening.

All of which is just to say that, yeah, I really dig that beat. And not to put words in his mouth, but I'm pretty sure Rawb Zilla does, too.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Never thought it was out of character or not the real ghost. Just thought it was bad.

James, conceptually it makes sense. Still sounds like poop to my ears. That track is like Capadonna; i.e., the moment where RZA realizes he can't make anything work...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This shit should be nice if Doom does the beats, he's generally best suited for his own production. Ghost can rock over anything, so I'm not worried about that.

For the record, I like the "stroke of death" beat, but it can get annoying.

What's everyone's favourite beat from that album? I'm going with "Might Healthy"

I like the one with the Gladys Knight "Queen of Tears" sample...

Hmmm... which one is that? I thought I knew every sample on that album. Maybe I'm just forgetting... it has been a minute since that came out.

That's one of those albums that I kinda view as one whole entity- it's hard for me to even separate the songs and pick which one I like the best. But if you put a gun to my head I guess I'd have to pick "Buck 50"- just a classic Baby Huey loop but I love the way that sh*t sounds when the "there's no love to be found" comes in. That song right there pretty much epitomizes what hip hop at it's best to me. I'm also especially lovin' "One", "We Made It" and "Apollo Kids" (but I love everything else on that album, too).

Last track, I think... starts with a GZA verse.

Although now that the original samplespotter is professing unfamiliarity with it, I'm starting to think that I called it wrong.

Still sounds like poop to my ears.

Fair enough; there's no accounting for taste. I was more talking to the folks--here and elsewhere--who seem confused by the fact that this track even exists.

I'll admit, though, that my judgement may be clouded due to my recently having had something of a second honeymoon with this record; I bought a new copy to replace my fucked-up old one that I bought when it first came out, and a gang of shit--sequencing, songs, etc.--was different. (Just Like) Starting Over.

And I'm seriously considering running to Keefer's for a weck just so I can use the phrase "beef type situation."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I bought a new copy to replace my fucked-up old one that I bought when it first came out, and a gang of shit--sequencing, songs, etc.--was different. (Just Like) Starting Over.

You mean it seemed different, or it actually was different, i.e., the record now conforms to the tracklisting?

I bought a new copy to replace my fucked-up old one that I bought when it first came out, and a gang of shit--sequencing, songs, etc.--was different. (Just Like) Starting Over.

You mean it seemed different, or it actually was different, i.e., the record now conforms to the tracklisting?

The latter, but vicey versey: The first version I bought pretty much followed the tracklisting on the case, excepting, I think, one skit or something that was on the aluminum but wasn't listed. The new copy I bought has, like, five more tracks than are listed on the case, and the sequencing is all fucked-up. It was like finding money in my old pants. To quote the printing in the margin of my sales receipt when I bought it: "DR. WAX HOOKED ME UP!!!"

• "Child's Play" (but I love everything else on that album, too).

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Why can't Ghost (or his peoples at the label) get his tracklisting right? Wasn't "Bulletproof Wallets" all messed up too? maybe it's because of his sample clearance issues- tracks getting omitted and / or added at the last minute, I dunno...

"Bitches think that I'm Dominican, slaff hash Indian"...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Why can't Ghost (or his peoples at the label) get his tracklisting right? Wasn't "Bulletproof Wallets" all messed up too? maybe it's because of his sample clearance issues- tracks getting omitted and / or added at the last minute, I dunno...

Yes and yes... they never done Ghost right

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Wu-Banga 101. That beat is bananas.

Favorite beat on that album is probably Mighty Healthy although Wu-Banga is pretty close. I'm a big fan of Ghost and Doom but I'm kinda skeptical on this project. It definitely has potential but I don't know.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

And I can understand why folks don't like "Stroke Of Death," but I just see it as part of the JB/Lee Perry/Dipset "Listen, I do whatever the fuck I want" continuum. Fake applause and sixty seconds of an entirely different track dropped in the middle? Fine. Goat noises? Fine. ESPN samples? Fine. Off-tempo backspin? Fine.

YES!! This kind of stuff is such a great balance to real crispy straight ahead production. And why do so many people hate Madlib?

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    That Stroke of Death beat was b-boy style. Kinda reminded me of something from a park jam that went wrong but sounded raw so they kept it. Nutmeg is fresh, too. Mighty Healthy is sooooo dope...and I never get tired of hearing that Baby Huey loop on that jam with Red and Meth. Red's verse was better than I remembered, too. Overall, great hip hop.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    This is like the 4th or 5th time this has happened to me now, but I just Googled "slaff hash Indian" and this old ass thread popped up. Trip out.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I just googled that and the results I see are bizarre; its esp. bizarre that this thread is the top hit.

Not only is it a great phrase (and one I'd expect to pop up on a bazillion rapp blogs), but how the hell does it not pop up on every one of those crappy rapp lyrics sites, of which there's ton?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

Not only is it a great phrase (and one I'd expect to pop up on a bazillion rapp blogs), but how the hell does it not pop up on every one of those crappy rapp lyrics sites, of which there's ton?

Exactly!