Willie Hutch R.I.P.

OlskiOlski 355 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
*Legendary R&B singer/songwriter Willie Hutch, the Motown veteran who co-wrote ???I???ll Be There??? for the Jackson 5, has died at his home in Dallas, Texas, reports WREG-TV Memphis. He was 59. The cause of death has not yet been released. Born Willie McKinley Hutchinson in 1946 in Los Angeles, Hutch grew up in Dallas, where his debut single ???Love Has Put Me Down??? was released in the early sixties. After putting out his first album in 1964, the artist went on to work with a number of artists as a writer and producer. In 1970, producer Hal Davis called Hutch at the 11th hour to write a song for a backing track he had produced for the Jackson 5. The Michael Jackson-led group reportedly went into the studio the next day to record Hutch???s words on the track, which turned out to be one of the group???s biggest hits, ???I???ll Be There.??? Hutch went on to write and/or produce solo albums for Jackson, as well as Smokey Robinson, The Fifth Dimension, The Miracles, The Main Ingredient (???California My Way???), Junior Walker, Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye, among others. He also wrote the entire soundtrack for Pam Grier???s 1970s blaxploitation masterpiece, "Foxy Brown" and worked on the soundtrack to ???The Mack,??? including the song, ???Brother's Gonna Work It Out.??? Hutch even penned a song for the 2005 John Singleton-produced film, "Hustle and Flow." Willie released two albums in the 90s: ???From The Heart??? and ???The Mack Is Back.???

Comments

• Damn, that's sad news. I really loved his work.
    Rest in Peace!

• ericeric 155 Posts
    RIP

• oh....to me he was a GREAT ARTIST.........he always been in my A-list .......

it's a shame MOTOWN still don't give proper reissue of his 70's albums .....

he did a lot of great works that everybody still sleeps on.........

he never did something BIG, maybe he wasn't controversial like other acts, but his works were always beautifully written & arranged..

.and he used to arranging by himself !!!

all this people like him, leon ware ,and others that used to work mostly behind the scenes deserved better considerations (while still alive)

and Foxy Brown is one of the BEST soundtrack ever ....

he will be missed

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    rip willie hutch.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    oh....to me he was a GREAT ARTIST.........he always been in my A-list .......

So true. R.I.P. Willie.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    respect...R.I.P

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    oh....to me he was a GREAT ARTIST.........he always been in my A-list .......

So true. R.I.P. Willie.

If anyones on soulseek, Domjazzsoul has a great willie hutch compilation he made a couple years ago. Top notch!

R.I.P. I was a fan.

• he did a lot of great works that everybody still sleeps on.........

he never did something BIG, maybe he wasn't controversial like other acts, but his works were always beautifully written & arranged..

.and he used to arranging by himself !!!

all this people like him, leon ware ,and others that used to work mostly behind the scenes deserved better considerations (while still alive)

1000% cosign. I've been listening to "Mark of the Beast" a lot recently, shit is beautiful. RIP Willie Hutch.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Sad, sad news. I LOVE me some Willie Hutch and will be rotating a few cuts today in tribute.

Rest In Peace.

• RIP. I had no idea he was so young! 59 isn't very old. That means he was in his 20s when he did those soundtracks right? crazy!

• R.I.P.

• RIP ....

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I've been listening to "Mark of the Beast" a lot recently, shit is beautiful. RIP Willie Hutch.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Wow... I loved his voice... RIP.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    I had a great day, but just I was about to go to bed I read this... really sad news. Playing 'Ain't That (Mellow Mellow)' now, so beautiful.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    "Hospital Prelude Of Love Theme"[/b]