what do you call music that is

Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
upbeat and funky with funky samples and shit. what do you call that? i want to hear some of that.

Comments

• funky music

• well if i don't have a name for it by the end of the day then i'm going to give a name and then look for it.

• funky music

adultcore contemporonica.

• funky music

funky adultcore contemporonica.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I'll look it up in my copy of Funky + Groovy Music Lexikon and get back to you

• Blazing Uptempo

• funky music

Funky Indiedultcore contemporonicapop.

• Blazing Uptempo

yes, i would like to hear some blazing uptempo. i beleive 5 or so years ago these were called b-boy jams or something, but i'm not sure.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Hi Gary

• funky music

Funky Indiedultcore contemporonicapop.
    I can't fuck with that. I'm tired.

• Hi Gary

Hey there R*ck!

What are you going to be for halloween? TheMack?

• i was just about to bring AGFA up. But you beat me to it Rusty. Dope track.

here's a little sample for ya. If you want the whole thing you gotta go to turntablelab.com or groovedis.com for the whole jammy.

and now for some shameless promotion...

KG | The Heat Beats

by the way, it's called funk 'braeks' in my definition.

peas.

• Hi rusty, are you the guy from funkweapons that emailed me a while ago?

if so, sorry I haven't gotten back to you, but the other person that i would need to talk to has been M.I.A.

If not, then that probably made no sense.

• I am liking this (as much as I can through the very low volume I must maintain at work).

What would you call this type of music?

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i was just about to bring AGFA up. But you beat me to it Rusty. Dope track.

here's a little sample for ya. If you want the whole thing you gotta go to turntablelab.com or groovedis.com for the whole jammy.

KG | The Heat Beats

peas.

is that a new 12"? you wanna trade? i got a new one out here.

couldnt check your soundclip tho, my internet connection is acting all weird today. but it was your stuff i put a beatbox loop under i believe! haha

• "Party Music" is what we call it, not "Party Breaks"

Turntablelab calls us = midtempo: fort knox five + wonderwheel + related..

whatever the hell that means....

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    and about the genre... juno tagged my release "broken beat/nu jazz" whatever that means. sounds wrong tho.

look

ive also seen the word headz on other sites, not sure what thats supposed to mean either.

theres a genre called breaks, but it seems to be speed up electro beats with trance synths.

KG | The Heat Beats

peas.

is that a new 12"? you wanna trade? i got a new one out here.

couldnt check your soundclip tho, my internet connection is acting all weird today. but it was your stuff i put a beatbox loop under i believe! haha

definitely man. i'll pm you shortly.

oh and your beat box jam over my wurly madness was dope!

had me lunchin.

• and about the genre... juno tagged my release "broken beat/nu jazz" whatever that means. sounds wrong tho.

look

ive also seen the word headz on other sites, not sure what thats supposed to mean either.

theres a genre called breaks, but it seems to be speed up electro beats with trance synths.

Juno be assing you out, that is not Broken Beat/Nu Jazz...

Broken Beat/Nu Jazz is what used too be the West London sound or whatever... Its all pretty boring and weak if you ask me...yawn fest music..

Real jazz is where its at, you can keep you Nu Jazz... and

KG | The Heat Beats

peas.

that was good also. i would like to hear more music like this. where can i go to hear more music like these?

• and about the genre... juno tagged my release "broken beat/nu jazz" whatever that means. sounds wrong tho.

look

Juno be assing you out, that is not Broken Beat/Nu Jazz...

Broken Beat/Nu Jazz is what used too be the West London sound or whatever... Its all pretty boring and weak if you ask me...yawn fest music..

Real jazz is where its at, you can keep you Nu Jazz... and

this is the thing that I am observing right now with this style of music. First off, it's hard to classify, so most of the time, you will see it get catergorized in the nujazz, broken beat, headz, downtempo, house, breaks, hip hop genres. Keep in mind that most of the time the person who posts these records up on online shops has a ton of other records to sort out, so they are most likely not putting in a lot of thought on what style this music is.

IMO the 'Headz' category is what heads will be into. thats all.

Shit, but all in all as long as it's being distibuted all over the world you can call it whatever you like. I aint mad.

KG | The Heat Beats

peas.

that was good also. i would like to hear more music like this. where can i go to hear more music like these?

look into Fort Knox Five, All good Funk Alliance, BeatConductor aka Beatfanatic, Fredie Cruger, The Gamm library, Malente, Krack n Smack, Skewiff, Stuff from Dynamo Productions, stuff from Bastard Jazz, Stuff from the Tru-thoughts label. oh and buy my records

that should set you off in a good direction mate.

respect.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    "Party Music" is what we call it, not "Party Breaks"

Turntablelab calls us = midtempo: fort knox five + wonderwheel + related..

whatever the hell that means....

what up rusty? it's nate of the FFB's.

no for real though, i'd like to really iron this out, since i'm making this type of stuff along with Kidgusto and Rusty and them. People ask me what i do and i get stuck. it's not really "electronica" in terms of its sound. and it's definitely not downtempo. I appreciate "party music" but then fools might think of "the Hokey Pokey" or something. we need to come with something before it gets tagged by the UK press as "nu-funk" or "nu-big beat" or something equally

• Word up Nate...

Yeah Party Music is bad, FK5 call there ish cross-beat.. Due to the fact there music is all over the map..

• Thank you sir, I will check these out. Sometimes I really really get in that mood where I want to hear some fun new music, but I never know where to look.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    IMO the 'Headz' category is what heads will be into. thats all.

I thought it might be in reference to the series of Ninja Tune compilation boxsets released in the 90s...

This genre is wedged between downtempo and house but isn't either, call it music for aging b-boys...