Geechie Wiley cover. (R. Crumb related)

LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Geechie Wiley - "Last Time Word" was featured in Crumb the movie.that song got covered in a documentary about southern music by a dude with a beard. A very compelling, beautiful version, I don't think that version was recorded, only way to get it is buy the DVD.Anyone knows what I'm talking about ?It also has the singer from 16 Horsepower in it and a famous southern author/novelist, can't remember his name...

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Geechie Wiley's "Last Kind Word Blues" and "Skinny Leg Blues" (1930) were both on the OST for Crumb, with the former (a hardcore facemelter) actually in the movie. To my knowledge, only six recorded songs by Geechie Wiley (and Elvie Thomas on second guitar) are known to exist.

But: is a cover of this song necessary? How would you even begin?

• http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=30GMMG83JVLSQ29ULV9ZANRT21

here's an mp3 i had lyin around. got a chance to look at alot of crumb's artwork firsthand while interning at the carnegie musuem. even got to flip through the sketchbook he was working on in the movie.

I know a friend of his, another 78 collector whose collection has spurned some hilarious jealousy letter from crumb. dude gave me a maceo and all the kingsmen 45 last time i visited.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Wait - You're talking about David Johansen and the Harry Smiths, right? That song is on his (their) "Shaker" album.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Ok thanks, the documentary is called "Searching For The Wrong-Eyed Jesus"