downbeat

slushslush 691 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
just came across of stack of these, and am curious if anyone has any favourite articles/issues to keep an eye for. Every issue seems to have one or two decent articles along with a bunch of fluff like "how to Blow Raga Rock"(no joke). The one issue i picked up has miles davis doing the blind fold test, which is kinda fly.

After Leonard Feather puts on an Archie Shepp record,
Davis[/b]: "You're putting me on with that!... I know who it is--- Ornette, fucking up the trumpet and the alto. I dont understand that jive at all. "
Feather[/b]: Actually you got that one wrong- it wasn't Ornette. It was an Archie Shepp date with John Tchicai on alto and Don Cherry on trumpet
Davis[/b]: well, whoever it is, it sounds the same--- Ornette sounds the same way. Theres where Archie and them got that shit from; there sure aint nothing there"

theres an isaac hayes/lester bowie issue with a nice cover.

Comments

• Options
    You get those from Aki? I remember reading that Miles Davis blind fold test before (I think that's a feature in every issue).

K.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

After Leonard Feather puts on an Archie Shepp record,
    Davis[/b]: "You're putting me on with that!... I know who it is--- Ornette, fucking up the trumpet and the alto. I dont understand that jive at all. "
    Feather[/b]: Actually you got that one wrong- it wasn't Ornette. It was an Archie Shepp date with John Tchicai on alto and Don Cherry on trumpet
    Davis[/b]: well, whoever it is, it sounds the same--- Ornette sounds the same way. Theres where Archie and them got that shit from; there sure aint nothing there"

• Downbeat used to be such a dope magazine. I wish more modern magazines would employ stuff like the blindfold feature. A lot of magazines nowadays do stuff like "create a mixtape," but having dudes blindly weigh in on other current music would be nice. I got a copy of the latest Downbeat a few weeks ago at the Chicago jazzfest and was utterly unimpressed. It had a few OK articles in it, but you could tell it has completely lost its edge.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    no a non record dude
    they seem to get really good people for the blindfolds. it sort of makes the issue

• just came across of stack of these, and am curious if anyone has any favourite articles/issues to keep an eye for.

the one from 1973 where they give a raving five-star review to the first New York Dolls LP!! the guy even had the nerve to say that the dolls succeed where mott and iggy fail (or some such bullshit)

(no joke - it's a greenish cover with an abstract drawing of a keyboard...contains articles on ramsey lewis, brian auger and the pointer sisters)

• girgir 329 Posts
    the uk magazine the wire has a similar monthly feature called "invisible jukebox" and it is definitely a highlight.