r crumb (kinder rr)

rookrook 357 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
does he write about records sometimes? i know that american splendor flick had some coltrane records innit. records in movies are cool, sides from hi-fidelity

Comments

• u don't like hi-fidelity ?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

does he write about records sometimes? i know that american splendor flick had some coltrane records innit. records in movies are cool, sides from hi-fidelity

And makes them, and the makes cover art, and has a new French band.

Dan

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

And makes them, and the makes cover art, and has a new French band.

Dan

he played in a ragtime band... i believe he played banjo and sang. he had a bunch of records on a label called Blue Goose... the band was r. crumb and his cheap suit serenadors. Goofy stuff.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    i believe he played banjo and sang

Bring a load'a... RC Cola / TV Dinner... plate of Twinkies / And it takes a Pink Burrito... for to keep me clean! (For to keep me clean.)

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I got a fresh Hokum Boys lp he did the cover art for.Good delta stuff.

• "I dunno . . . I guess I got this way from listening to old records too much . . .
    these echoes of the past . . . a lost world, true enough . . . the loss of these rich
    and ancient musical traditions . . . Well, it breaks my fuckin??? heart!!"
    R. Crumb ??? "Where Has It Gone, All the Beautiful Music of our Grandparents"

• rookrook 357 Posts
    u don't like hi-fidelity ?

yeah it was a tragedy, could you repeat the question

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    Funnily enough I just watched the documentary Crumb by Terry Zwigoff yesterday. Very interesting watch also quite depressing. I also got my brother for his birthday a Crumb handbook which had a cd of Crumbs music which is quite good fun. In the documentary Crumb had lots of records and when he was moving to France was having to lugg them all there. He is mainly into Blues music it appears. I'm not sure however if he has writen about records.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    from what i understand, he has a pretty massive colectshiony,. it would be a bitch to move records oversea like that. its dope that records were a relative force in one of merica's best cartoonists though.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the best story Crumb ever did about records was actually written by Pekar. It's more about Pekar's record collecting obsession but the team of crumb / pekar and the subject of records is a pretty nice combo.

that story touches on all the classics: stealing records from the college radio, hussling records to make a buck, ordering records form auction lists blah blah... its all in there.

it was originally in one of the american splendor's but you can get it in a compilation of crumb and pekar's work called bob and harv's comics.

• Crumb is completely obsessed with early American music, blues, jazz, pop etc. He has a pretty impressive collection of 78s. He also illustrated the covers for a bunch of early blues reissues (Yazoo I think...)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    http://www.crumbmuseum.com/album.html

www.crumbmuseum.com/ racealbums.html

I think there are lots more.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i always wondered what the "RC" in ""RC Cola" stood for. any buyers? when i was in the states i came across a budget cola titled "just whistle cola". nobody can beat a drink named that...

• i always wondered what the "RC" in ""RC Cola" stood for. any buyers? when i was in the states i came across a budget cola titled "just whistle cola". nobody can beat a drink named that...

"RC"=Royal Crown

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

it was originally in one of the american splendor's but you can get it in a compilation of crumb and pekar's work called bob and harv's comics.

American Splendor

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i always wondered what the "RC" in ""RC Cola" stood for. any buyers? when i was in the states i came across a budget cola titled "just whistle cola". nobody can beat a drink named that...

did they take "royal crown" off the can? it used to be on there...i havent had any in a while but i do like it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Funnily enough I just watched the documentary Crumb by Terry Zwigoff yesterday. Very interesting watch also quite depressing. I also got my brother for his birthday a Crumb handbook which had a cd of Crumbs music which is quite good fun. In the documentary Crumb had lots of records and when he was moving to France was having to lugg them all there. He is mainly into Blues music it appears. I'm not sure however if he has writen about records.

GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT MOVIE!!!!!!

And actually, RC stands for Richie Cunningham, stupidasses.

• Funnily enough I just watched the documentary Crumb by Terry Zwigoff yesterday. Very interesting watch also quite depressing. I also got my brother for his birthday a Crumb handbook which had a cd of Crumbs music which is quite good fun. In the documentary Crumb had lots of records and when he was moving to France was having to lugg them all there. He is mainly into Blues music it appears. I'm not sure however if he has writen about records.

how about homeboys brother? He always tripped me out.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

how about homeboys brother? He always tripped me out.

I watched that movie back when I was in the army. It freaked me out so much I had a hard time falling asleep....