... The winner of the best HIP HOP LP for 2005 is

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I heard this in late 2004 and still knew it was going to be record of the year. for me, at least.

That's not throwback rap?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    is Edan "that real shit"?

For kids who dream about 1987.

Edan isn't throwback rap as much as it dope - He can rap. If you want to know what gimmicky is, check the chopped & screwed phenomenon. Soon, that's going to be as played out as "the mash up". The Quaz & Edan have beats & rhymes. Unless dopeness gets played out over the next few years, expect those albums to be remembered.

• I would like to comment on Edan, Critical Beatdown and what is or isn't "that real shit", but as I am still recovering from that Primo thread I think I am too battle weary to engage in any potential conflicts at this time. I will say that I personally think Edan's album is dope, though... some of the tracks VERY dope.

Son you are the authority on "the real shit". I need to know the breakdown. For some reason I thought that fast loud breakbeats was big in the late 80's but who knows, I was like 12 in 88 and listening to Too Short.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Edan isn't throwback rap as much as it dope - He can rap. If you want to know what gimmicky is, check the chopped & screwed phenomenon. Soon, that's going to be as played out as "the mash up". The Quaz & Edan have beats & rhymes. Unless dopeness gets played out over the next few years, expect those albums to be remembered.

Dogs, I like Edan and Quas, but there are a gang of kids in my hood who dont give a fuck about these cats. I think both lps speak to specific demograph.
    Edan is an average rapper and not winning any awards. dope

Look at the damn cover............not retro...not throwback......c'mon.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Dogs, I like Edan and Quas, but there are a gang of kids in my hood who dont give a fuck about these cats. I think both lps speak to specific demograph.
    Edan is an average rapper and not winning any awards. dope

Look at the damn cover............not retro...not throwback......c'mon.

I don't think half of the classics that dropped years back were on the radar of millions of people - they appealed to a "specific demographic" then in the same way that they appeal to a "specific demographic" today.

The cover shows people that influenced the guy - a throwback would be him on the cover with a gold chain & a track suit. I don't remember rap lps that dropped 15-20 years ago looking like the cover of beauty & the beat.