Cardinal Ratzinger of Germany Is New Pope

2»

Comments

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Another old European white guy has been elected pope! Brasil is the largest Catholic country in the world by population. Mexico is a huge Catholic country, Central & South America, Spain, etc. Why don't they appoint a Latino pope?

Jurandir Arauj, of the National Conference of Bishops Afro-Brazilian Section said: "It seems that he is too conservative. Hopefully the Holy Spirit can help him change. We expected a person like John Paul. Somebody who could give the Church alternatives ... open the Church to the world, look more at reality."

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    Bishops Afro-Brazilian Section

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Another old European white guy has been elected pope! Brasil is the largest Catholic country in the world by population. Mexico is a huge Catholic country, Central & South America, Spain, etc. Why don't they appoint a Latino pope?

Jurandir Arauj, of the National Conference of Bishops Afro-Brazilian Section said: "It seems that he is too conservative. Hopefully the Holy Spirit can help him change. We expected a person like John Paul. Somebody who could give the Church alternatives ... open the Church to the world, look more at reality."

*spitting out coffee* SOMELIKE POPE JOHN.....OPEN TO THE CHURCH TO THE WORLD, LOOK MORE AT REALITY? [/b]

Dude he's gotta be kidding.....PJP is the poster boy for "Private Mind Garden".

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    This subjects sucks. I'm not religious at all and I'm far from being a fan of Ratzinger. Please don't get me wrong. Y'all should still take this discussion to a CNN forum.

oh i forgot we are not allowed to discuss issues here. sorry about that.

ok...

what bob james album is that break on?

Dude, no. What CATHOLIC BREAKZZZ do you have? Take a hella step back.

sayin

FAVELAS ON BLAST!

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    I got a catholic block
    inside my head
    I let it go to work
    Bring it all back home

It serves you right
    And I can motor down
    You got to earn yr freedom
    Get it on my own

I just live 4ever
    There just is no end
    I just trust the oppression
    Like I trust yr friends

I got a catholic block
    Inside my head
    I let it play around
    Iron to gold

Come back to me awhile

I got a catholic block it's around my head
    I got a catholic block and it's blood orange red
    I got a catholic block do you like to fuck?
    I got a catholic block guess I'm out of luck

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

In his waning years, definitely. However, I'm not gonna argue against PJP's influence on Latin and South America.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    This subjects sucks. I'm not religious at all and I'm far from being a fan of Ratzinger. Please don't get me wrong. Y'all should still take this discussion to a CNN forum.

ok...

Sorry, my English isn't that good. I was trying to say that all the people making fun of the new pope probably don't know him too well.

Comments like: A Brazilian guy said that he told a newspaper that he was once thinking that Ratzinger is too conservative. John Paul would have been better for the Catholic Church.

Fact is, Ratzinger is the guy that thinks most likely like John Paul. He had meetings with him once a week. John Paul asked him to come to Rome in 1977 and made him a cardinal in 1981 or so. They wre friends. Close friends.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    he wouldn't dress like these gangsters.

"Dude...FIDELIO!"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That shit reminds me of the dark crystal.

In his waning years, definitely. However, I'm not gonna argue against PJP's influence on Latin and South America.

Plaese to explain homie.

• this is getting to bablyon negativity for me mon.

lord i gotta take a lift.

i'm moving over the the " beautiful reggae music " thread.

ap

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

Plaese to explain homie.

What is there to explain?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    They just picked an old dude that was on the verge of dying because Pope's dying is big news... it's the best way to get new Catholics. If the Pope dies every year, Catholicism will pop off something surrious with all that free advertising.

-e

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

it looks like this guy was probably running the show already anyway( the pope being so feeble for so long etc) - it'd be like Dick Chenney stepping up - a difference in title only.

Right on,brother............

ok...

...... Ratzinger is the guy that thinks most likely like John Paul. He had meetings with him once a week. John Paul asked him to come to Rome in 1977 and made him a cardinal in 1981 or so. They wre friends. Close friends.

mmhh..I wouldn't agree..to my humble opinion, with this choice the whole church they made a big step back toward conservatorism......I'm not saying he will not be a good pope, it's like this guy in his behaviour and personality is quite different from the previous one, and he always represented a more "right winged" vision of the church.....

and please someone explain me why he served the mass for the congregation of cardinals (read=he made huge speech) if he was one of the "contestant" for the election??.......

May Vatican doesn't have a good anti-trust law.?....(ok this was a joke )

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

ok...

...... Ratzinger is the guy that thinks most likely like John Paul. He had meetings with him once a week. John Paul asked him to come to Rome in 1977 and made him a cardinal in 1981 or so. They wre friends. Close friends.

mmhh..I wouldn't agree..to my humble opinion, with this choice the whole church they made a big step back toward conservatorism......I'm not saying he will not be a good pope, it's like this guy in his behaviour and personality is quite different from the previous one, and he always represented a more "right winged" vision of the church.....

and please someone explain me why he served the mass for the congregation of cardinals (read=he made huge speech) if he was one of the "contestant" for the election??.......

Yeah, you're probably right. But isn't that the way the Catholic Church is set up? Why would they vote a black Southern American guy with lots of new plans and a totally new way of leading the Catholic church.

Son't get me wrong. I don't like Ratzinger or the Catholic Church at all. But who are we to judge this guy?

• Options
    Best part of this whole thing is that someone made a TON of cash when they placed a bet in London that the new Pope would choose Benedict as his name. The heavy favorites were John Paul III, or any variation of that, plus Pius as well. Someone came in with a huge bet on Benedict a week ago out of the blue and cleaned the fuck up.

ok...

Yeah, you're probably right. But isn't that the way the Catholic Church is set up? Why would they vote a black Southern American guy with lots of new plans and a totally new way of leading the Catholic church.

Son't get me wrong. I don't like Ratzinger or the Catholic Church at all. But who are we to judge this guy?

nobody is judging him....... but in his yesterday speech serving the aforementioned mass for the cardinals, he said things that show his "not so open" view.....and I'm talkin abt peace between people of all race religion etc,etc...

for example if he will be as tough as he seems towards different religion this will not help to stop the hate around the world caused by fanatic religious values......I'm in Italy and the Pope word as still a huge effect on people here and these catholic people (i'm not) really do what the pope say.......

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

ok...

Dude, no. What CATHOLIC BREAKZZZ do you have? Take a hella step back.

A couple of years ago dude comes into my shop with a nice minty collection of records. He lives out in Eastern Oregon desert. A lot of Catholic easyfolkrockpop private press raer. Turns out the guy is THE top priest for Eastern Oregon.

He was also a Star Trek Sci Fi fan. The cream was all the 50s sci fi soundtracks, Bernard Herrmanns and "Leonard Nimoy address the 5th annual star trek convention" records.

Sorry no Catholic breaks.

Dan

Was he forced to join the Nazi youth?

Very few inner-city kids today want to join gangs. They have a choice, they can join or they can get beat up everyday. They can be part of the gang, or isolated.
    Those who chose not to join gangs are courageous.

The Nazi's and Franco's and Musillini's Facists had the full support of the Catholic church.

Only recently has the Catholic church repudiated and apoligized for their ties to Facisiam.

Free will was not suspended during WWII in Germany, so his action during the war do not get a pass. He is not an old German clockmaker, he is the pope and his biography should be unblemished.

The last pope risked his life to stay loyal to his Jewish friends during the Nazi occupation of Poland.

I am sure many of the Latin American Cardinals took similar risks in opposing facism in Latin America.

Makes no difference to me what the Catholic hiarcy does, as long as they leave me alone.

Dan

This long, and only an excert, from the Times Of London:

The son of a rural Bavarian police officer, Ratzinger was six when Hitler came to power in 1933. His father, also called Joseph, was an anti-Nazi whose attempts to rein in Hitler???s Brown Shirts forced the family to move home several times.

In 1937 Ratzinger???s father retired and the family moved to Traunstein, a staunchly Catholic town in Bavaria close to the F??hrer???s mountain retreat in Berchtesgaden. He joined the Hitler Youth aged 14, shortly after membership was made compulsory in 1941.

He quickly won a dispensation on account of his training at a seminary. ???Ratzinger was only briefly a member of the Hitler Youth and not an enthusiastic one,??? concluded John Allen, his biographer.

Two years later Ratzinger was enrolled in an anti-aircraft unit that protected a BMW factory making aircraft engines. The workforce included slaves from Dachau concentration camp.

Ratzinger has insisted he never took part in combat or fired a shot ??? adding that his gun was not even loaded ??? because of a badly infected finger. He was sent to Hungary, where he set up tank traps and saw Jews being herded to death camps. He deserted in April 1944 and spent a few weeks in a prisoner of war camp.

He has since said that although he was opposed to the Nazi regime, any open resistance would have been futile ??? comments echoed this weekend by his elder brother Georg, a retired priest ordained along with the cardinal in 1951.

???Resistance was truly impossible,??? Georg Ratzinger said. ???Before we were conscripted, one of our teachers said we should fight and become heroic Nazis and another told us not to worry as only one soldier in a thousand was killed. But neither of us ever used a rifle against the enemy.???

Some locals in Traunstein, like Elizabeth Lohner, 84, whose brother-in-law was sent to Dachau as a conscientious objector, dismiss such suggestions. ???It was possible to resist, and those people set an example for others,??? she said. ???The Ratzingers were young and had made a different choice.???

In 1937 another family a few hundred yards away in Traunstein hid Hans Braxenthaler, a local resistance fighter. SS troops repeatedly searched homes in the area looking for the fugitive and his fellow conspirators.
    ???When he was betrayed and the Nazis came for him, Braxenthaler shot himself because he knew he couldn???t escape,??? said Frieda Meyer, 82, Ratzinger???s neighbour and childhood friend. ???Even though they had tortured him in Dachau concentration camp he refused to give up his resistance efforts.???

Given the fact that he is also known as The Enforcer and Gods Rottweiler, is opposed to women, real AIDS prevention, Liberation Theology, and Gays, I would say there are dark days for the Catholic Church ahead. As long as they leave me alone, I'll let the Catholics worry about it.

Dan

• ericeric 155 Posts
    Fuck the pope, fuck the vatican ,they are robbers.
    Vatican must be destroyed,all there gold and money distributed to the poor.
    Legal sect that try to convert more and more people....fucking fanatic.
    Fuck religions...all of them...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Free will was not suspended during WWII in Germany, so his action during the war do not get a pass.

Believe me, most people at that time did not have a choice. You should listen to my grandma's stories. She never had a choice. She lost her home. She was never asked or offered anything. No free will in most parts of Germany during WW2.

• But over all, even the German media doesn't know too much about his thoughts about religion.

This election is a pure shame for our country.

Thousands and 100thousands of people going to church praying for this guy leaving the problems of 5 million+ unemployed and 11 million+ poor people to the side.

Who prays for those ?

Religion does not pay the rent *fullstop*

Free will was not suspended during WWII in Germany, so his action during the war do not get a pass.

Believe me, most people at that time did not have a choice. You should listen to my grandma's stories. She never had a choice. She lost her home. She was never asked or offered anything. No free will in most parts of Germany during WW2.

Deep Respect for your Grandma.

I've listened to the stories of my Mother and her parents who lived in Nazi Austria. I've heard the stories of those who survived and those who did not.

The Pope is the highest moral authority for some billion Catholics. Someone who had the moral fortitude to stand up to evil, either out-right or underground, would have been a better moral choice.

My family members who survived did so because of those who did not go along. My family members who died did so because of those who turned a blind eye because they had no choice.

I have a German cousin who survived. His father, an army officer, took him out into a field to explain to him that; he was Jewish, the Nazi were bad, and that he was trying to get him out of the country. My cousin was about 12 or 13 at the time and didn't know that he was Jewish and was a strong Nazi supporter. His dad managed to get only his son out of the country.

I only point this out so we can understand the depth of morality of the new Pope.

Dan

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Deep Respect for your Grandma.

I've listened to the stories of my Mother and her parents who lived in Nazi Austria. I've heard the stories of those who survived and those who did not.

The Pope is the highest moral authority for some billion Catholics. Someone who had the moral fortitude to stand up to evil, either out-right or underground, would have been a better moral choice.

My family members who survived did so because of those who did not go along. My family members who died did so because of those who turned a blind eye because they had no choice.

I have a German cousin who survived. His father, an army officer, took him out into a field to explain to him that; he was Jewish, the Nazi were bad, and that he was trying to get him out of the country. My cousin was about 12 or 13 at the time and didn't know that he was Jewish and was a strong Nazi supporter. His dad managed to get only his son out of the country.

I only point this out so we can understand the depth of morality of the new Pope.

Dan

Please remember that Ratzinger was once an average Bavarian (German) kid. Many Germans that have been in the Hitler Youth Groups regret their deeds. I heard stories about children who refused to join the Hitler Youth. They were beaten up by fellow students regularly and thier parents got into trouble at work, some even ended up in prison. It was a tough decision not to join the Hitler Youth back then. And Ratzinger wasn't a Pope or Saint back then. Don't judge him by his childhood.

Krautbreaks is right. Religion is really strange these days. Causing way too many wars and not caring about common social, cultural and political issues too much. It's a shame.