Work Related (NRR)

DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
i told myself i'd never do this but i'm having a seriously hard time deciding what to do...two of my friends work for a smallish company that only works w/ fortune 100 and 500 businesses being basically a middleman for wireless services. lets just say they (the company) do VERY well for themselves.so my boys pretty much got me a job cuz one of them is the recruiter and the other heads the implementation department. so i went to the initial interview (formallity) and it was a group interview, which i thought was weird, but this shit ain't "boiler room" right?after that my friend (recruiter) calls me and lays down the pay scale...basically they pay you like shit (salaried) and everything comes from different kinds of bonuses (process, performance, and straight up commision). they expect at LEAST 60 hours a week of work (i talked to one girl and she puts in 80) and i won't see the bonuses for at least 2 months. basically give up your entire life so these assholes can get richer....so i went to this "day at the office" thing yesterday where you get to know the business....basically i worked for free, wasn't told when to go to lunch so i didn't eat, stayed from 9-7, didn't have either of the owners acknowledge my presence, the list could go on forever on how seemingly bad the day went....today i found out that i got the job (i was surprised) but i haven't returned my boys call yet cuz i don't know if i even want it. i'm not worried about the long hours (ok a little...) but the whole thing seems real shady. they've only been around for 5 years and have about 30 employees so if they blow (which it looks like they will) i'll be in at the ground level but i feel like i'll be constantly scrutinized because i was 'given' the job....i don't know, i'd be happy working 9-5 making modest money and being able to record dig and make beats....but i also want a fly whip...what would you do?

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Well if it's your only job option and you looked long and hard for one, take it, knowing that its only a temporary solution.

I personally would not take that job.

• Allow me to translate your post: my gut feeling tells me NOT TO DO THIS.

• i don't know, i'd be happy working 9-5 making modest money and being able to record dig and make beats....but i also want a fly whip...
    what would you do?

fly whips aint everything, and you've already said/know what you'd be happy with (see above quote)....you'll get more satisfaction round-the-clock if you enjoy what you do *in total* rather than enjoying the couple hours you spend sitting in traffic decompressing from a gig you hate in a nice ride

plenty of time to make money, man. people who hate their jobs end up hatin' their life. if you're not hard up for cash, I'd say skip it...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    pyramid scheme...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    pyramid scheme...

I told you it would work, It in't my fault you quit too early

I'll give you a phone call from the beach out in Bermuda. I'll send photos too. Do you know where the polynesian girls hang out at?

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    HAHAHA i seriously said to my brother "this shit sounds like a pyramid scheme"
    however it is legit, its just owned by a couple of ex dotcomers who were smart enough to get out early and feel that work is the only important thing in life.

i guess i pretty much had made my mind up before this post....where the corporate strutters at to tell me to take the damn job?

• Sounds like a drag, but heres some advice if you DO take the job. It sounds like they may blow up big. If you are working there and they ever offer stock or go public, buy it. As much as you can. It could be worth alot of dough. And its very Grown and Sexy!

• Options
    pyramid scheme...

I told you it would work, It in't my fault you quit too early

I'll give you a phone call from the beach out in Bermuda. I'll send photos too. Do you know where the polynesian girls hang out at?

Polynesion girls in Bermuda. Can't say I've seen one.

K.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i told myself i'd never do this but i'm having a seriously hard time deciding what to do...
    two of my friends work for a smallish company that only works w/ fortune 100 and 500 businesses being basically a middleman for wireless services. lets just say they (the company) do VERY well for themselves.
    so my boys pretty much got me a job cuz one of them is the recruiter and the other heads the implementation department. so i went to the initial interview (formallity) and it was a group interview, which i thought was weird, but this shit ain't "boiler room" right?
    after that my friend (recruiter) calls me and lays down the pay scale...basically they pay you like shit (salaried) and everything comes from different kinds of bonuses (process, performance, and straight up commision). they expect at LEAST 60 hours a week of work (i talked to one girl and she puts in 80) and i won't see the bonuses for at least 2 months. basically give up your entire life so these assholes can get richer....
    so i went to this "day at the office" thing yesterday where you get to know the business....basically i worked for free, wasn't told when to go to lunch so i didn't eat, stayed from 9-7, didn't have either of the owners acknowledge my presence, the list could go on forever on how seemingly bad the day went....
    today i found out that i got the job (i was surprised) but i haven't returned my boys call yet cuz i don't know if i even want it. i'm not worried about the long hours (ok a little...) but the whole thing seems real shady. they've only been around for 5 years and have about 30 employees so if they blow (which it looks like they will) i'll be in at the ground level but i feel like i'll be constantly scrutinized because i was 'given' the job....
    i don't know, i'd be happy working 9-5 making modest money and being able to record dig and make beats....but i also want a fly whip...
    what would you do? [/quote

I got the wireless part....but what is it that you would actually DO? Sales? Admin? Both? I am confused.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I got the wireless part....but what is it that you would actually DO? Sales? Admin? Both? I am confused.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

thanx for straightening that out...
    i would be working in the implementation department which seems like a lot of order processing (but on a much larger scale). i'd also be doing product prep (they test everything that comes through the doors...phones, PDAs, cards,etc) and anything else they need. nothing is really cut in stone there.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    dude, this sounds like some multi-level marketing type-shit, the group interview, the day of unpaid work, I "interviewed" for a place like this and got a super gross feeling. It truly does not sound legit, it doesn't matter if they work with so and so or were started by so and so, if it walks like a duck......

• Does not sound cool. I bet your friends get a huge bonus for signing you up for the job. Just keep in mind if you take it and you work 80 hours a week you will not have time to find another job.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    yeah dude, I done been working in the corporate world, and even places that are start ups dont act like that (at least in my experience)

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    i need a 'good looking out' graemlin.

i talked to my boy today and i guess they want me to do some contractual (is this a word?) work for a couple of days next week (which i guess is there 'next step'). i guess it can't hurt (plus i'll actually get paid this time) and i can see if my gut feeling is correct...