mixtapes with no track listing that drive ya crazy

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
how many of you have heard a track on a mix and gone bananas for it only to have no way of finding out what it is?

how many track ID requests have we got on here for tracks off said mixtapes?

How many more nights must I cry while trying to figure out and decipher all the songs used on the A&R mixes vol. 1-4?

anybody here got full tracklistings for some of these mysterious unlabeled yet-oh-so-fresh mixes?

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• How many more nights muct I cry while trying to figure out and decipher all the songs used on the A&R mixes vol. 1-4?

Just sold copies of all four volumes to a serious disco dude, I think he might not have bought 'em if he knew all the joints... "shit I coulda made this mix".... lol

Is Jake doing this intentionally or is it flop mode???? The world may never know

• There's a song that I hear in b-boy mixtapes and at b-boy shows all the time. I hear different versions of it and I'm sure it's something obvious but it's completely eluded me for the longest time.

It's got a dope b-boy beat and the female chorus goes "All I wanna do... is dance, dance, dance". Then there's a 'ha!' in there for good measure. Please to tell me what track this is. I spent forever tracking down Marta Acuna's Dance, Dance, Dance because I thought that must be it, but I was wrong. Not Claudja Barry's or Chic's song with the same name either.

DJ Ferrari

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    How many more nights muct I cry while trying to figure out and decipher all the songs used on the A&R mixes vol. 1-4?

haha...

on the drive to Day's birthday

Ad*m:[/b] "damn this song is dope..you know this song J*r*el?"

Me:[/b] "nope..shit is dope though"

5 minutes later [/b]

Me:[/b] "this song is the shit Ad*m...what's this?"

AD*m:[/b] "i dunno man ...shit is ver dope though"

3 minutes later [/b]

Me[/b] this is heat..who is this?"

Ad*m:[/b] " man i thought you knew"

4 mintes later [/b]

Adam:[/b] " DUDE !!! I gotta find this record here man ..who is ...."

Me:[/b] "i have no idea man......."

Repeat for 1 hour

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    How many more nights muct I cry while trying to figure out and decipher all the songs used on the A&R mixes vol. 1-4?

haha...

5 minutes later [/b]

3 minutes later [/b]

4 mintes later [/b]

Repeat for 1 hour

I did get one though.

Don't test my Universal Robot Band gangsta

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

haha...

5 minutes later [/b]

3 minutes later [/b]

4 mintes later [/b]

Repeat for 1 hour

That's exactly how the dialogue goes!

Funniest shit I've read all day.

• i like the anonymous thang. If you knew the what songs they were, you probably wouldnt feel the same about the mix.

on the other hand, that cut chemist mixtape "rare equations," (Im talking about the the tape) which was a really ill tape had the tracklistings, and I spent the next two years tracking a lot of that down.

so it goes both ways, i guess.

legal question: can one get sued for a mixtape??

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Don't test my Universal Robot Band gangsta

that was Ry*n you fucker...we were both[/b] sittin their like

"wait..wait..wait...i know this..yeah uh its..its....shit...uh ?? band"

Ry*n:[/b] "Universal Robot Band"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    doh

• better with no traklisting
    makes you sherlock that shit out

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    yup

but that would just be wrong

• better with no traklisting

amen. thats how its supposed to be

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    better with no traklisting

Word up.

• How many more nights must I cry while trying to figure out and decipher all the songs used on the A&R mixes vol. 1-4?

Is there anywhere I can still cop these?

• How many more nights must I cry while trying to figure out and decipher all the songs used on the A&R mixes vol. 1-4?

Is there anywhere I can still cop these?

i still have some. i sent u a pm

• how many of you have heard a track on a mix and gone bananas for it only to have no way of finding out what it is?

how many track ID requests have we got on here for tracks off said mixtapes?

How many more nights must I cry while trying to figure out and decipher all the songs used on the A&R mixes vol. 1-4?

anybody here got full tracklistings for some of these mysterious unlabeled yet-oh-so-fresh mixes?

Hommie I'm not even sure of the titles of some of the songs on em. If anyone wants to ask, I can most likely at least figure out the artists. The higher the volume the raerer as far as the records. I got some SHIT for volume 5 if I ever get some time. Might have to do a slow song version of AR. Some candlelight dinner shit. lol

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

There's a song that I hear in b-boy mixtapes and at b-boy shows all the time. I hear different versions of it and I'm sure it's something obvious but it's completely eluded me for the longest time.

It's got a dope b-boy beat and the female chorus goes "All I wanna do... is dance, dance, dance". Then there's a 'ha!' in there for good measure. Please to tell me what track this is. I spent forever tracking down Marta Acuna's Dance, Dance, Dance because I thought that must be it, but I was wrong. Not Claudja Barry's or Chic's song with the same name either.

DJ Ferrari

jackson 5 - life of the party.

- spidey

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    ANDY VOTEL mixes piss me the fuck off!!!!!!!!!!!

- spidey

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    yup

Yeah, I was going to say Kon & Amir...

I love listening to tracks I've never heard but at the same time I like to know what the hell I'm listening to. I tracklist everything. It is all about spreading the knowledge. I guess some want to keep tracks under wraps so they are the only dj playing it or they want to be the one making top dollar on ebay after they've amassed a collection of the raer but that isn't what I'm in it for.

• where's DJ Shiite

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    yup

Yeah, I was going to say Kon & Amir...

I love listening to tracks I've never heard but at the same time I like to know what the hell I'm listening to. I tracklist everything. It is all about spreading the knowledge. I guess some want to keep tracks under wraps so they are the only dj playing it or they want to be the one making top dollar on ebay after they've amassed a collection of the raer but that isn't what I'm in it for.

I've managed to find out almost every track I was looking for on some of those.

As frustrating as it can sometimes be, I think that's part of the whole thing.

And then once you find out the artist and/or song, you still have to track down the record.

That's what makes this shit fun, to me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    where's DJ Shiite

I haven't seen him in over a year, but if I had to guess I'd say stoned hanging out behind Workmans Outlet on Melrose avenue

• autezautez 404 Posts
    who wants to compare aeiou 2 lists? ive got like 25+ tracks and there's still hella more i dont know

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Yeah, no tracklists immediately.

I mean, these days were gonna figure it out eventually. Its fun to have a little mystery and eventually put the pieces all together. Last one I had a really good time with was that chains + black exaust mix tape.

Jakes tapes are fire though!!

• Heres the king.

Its been what 5 years and I still dont know the majority.

• Two very cool Funk-mixtapes by Toni-L (german rapper/funk-lover)

From the beginning i knew maybe 2-3 kinda obvious songs, but the rest was unknown heat for me.
    Been able to identify some more through wefunkradio, but the real bangers still need to be id'd.

@german-strutters: you got those tapes? got some knowledge? i hope

• yo, mr.lee....what is that mix?? what type of joints on it? looks dope.

As frustrating as it can sometimes be, I think that's part of the whole thing.
    And then once you find out the artist and/or song, you still have to track down the record.
    That's what makes this shit fun, to me.

exactly. i started looking for old records a couple years before i heard my first breaks tape. it was just word of mouth, shit id hear a select few people play and looking for samples (which used to not even be listed on the albums! doh!) Man, i felt like it was some ancient cult of secret knowledge that knew all the secret ingrediens of hiphop...like some witch pantry shit: eye of newt, batwing. i thought once i got all the JBs records id have every sample in the world. It was kind of funny, cause when i caught those, I was dissapointed that every sample in history wasnt on there. anyway, when i heard the sampleland tape, it was such a fucking puzzle...who sampled that? whose the original? where the f*@k do i get it? a lot of those songs would be on the radio, so id be in cvs or something and here some isleys song and id be asking people what it was.id listen to that tape with people all the time and everyone would add their lil bit of knowledge. it took a while, definitely not instant gratification. i feel like that whole episode taught me how to look for records...but also how o appreciate it. in my eyes, each of these unknown tracks was like a legendary mythological creature....songs of epic proportions. the whole mystery made it beautiful...there was no damn checklist to go to the record store with. several years later the internet blew the lid open on knowledge...and ive definitely learned so much through the net (and soulstrut)...but its still those crazy tapes and mixes that are on some different shit (not just on some "floss my raers") that make me feel like young scrappy timmy digalot once again

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Heres the king.

Its been what 5 years and I still dont know the majority.

I've got that LP too... 20 copies only or something? Psycho Pab pressed it for his girl's degree show, I believe.
    I *thought* I'd seen a tracklisting somewhere online, but I might be wrong. I'll have a scan.

• ANDY VOTEL mixes piss me the fuck off!!!!!!!!!!!

- spidey

me too, here's the tracklist to Music to Watch Girls Cry
    I would like to find info on his Folk is not a Four Letter Word mix, so dope.