SHAWN LEE'S PING PONG ORCHESTRA (RR)

izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I just discovered this "entity" and needless to say, i felt in love. The dude behind the curtains is mad talented. It's been a while i didn't listen to somebody freakin' breakbeats like he does...Dude is the shit. Give it a try if you don't believe me...Talent in its rawest form. It's a little bit too "easy-listening"-ish for me, but globally, it's a wrap.

"Moods and Grooves" is also nice...But my preference goes for those ones above.

PS : for people like me, we know this guy from the "Ape Breaks" collection and "The Planet Of The Breaks" serie. What a small World!!

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I agree. Jaime from Ubiquity introduced me to this over the weekend and I must say I am very impressed. "Laurel Canyon" is currently my favorite.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I was gonna post about this one myself! I just got that Ping Pong Orchestra last week - so DOOOPE. Incredible library-style tracks with a wide variety of 60s-70s sounds, BANGING (and authentic-sounding) production, and beats for days. If you like sitar funk, blax OSTs, KPM, Italian soundtracks, etc. there's something for you on that record. Anybody know if it's samples, live instruments, or a combination of both?

I even just ordered the 2nd Volume off DG today on the strength of the first one:

To be honest, I wasn't really feeling the soundclips of his solo stuff, but there's no denying the dude has skills.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I peeped and I thought it was .

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    To be honest, I wasn't really feeling the soundclips of his solo stuff, but there's no denying the dude has skills

That's what i'm saying...

Im not trying to make y'all like what he does, but dude got MAD skills. Period. He's a de Roubaix type of mofocker. He does write and play mostly all the instruments in studio and make a fat combination of samples and real takes. At the end of the day, if you peep his whole disco, dude is amazing. But i didn't say he does good music all the way...It's cheezy sometimes. But i know myself that only A FEW can work breaks like he does. Forget the Shadow's and 'em...lol.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Also, don't get the LP bio fool you...It's not "that much" library oriented. More soulful than librarish!!lol

Last note : it's not hardcore, underground or alternative. More like lounge music mixed with hard drummmin'.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Also, don't get the LP bio fool you...It's not "that much" library oriented. More soulful than librarish!!lol

Last note : it's not hardcore, underground or alternative. More like lounge music mixed with hard drummmin'.

DOH! THEY STOLE MY BEATS!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    DOH! THEY STOLE MY BEATS!

MC SHAWN, BEAT BITER

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    co-signage - I was was surprised that board member ubiquityrecords didn't manage to get in a long distance plug on this in the latin/south american thread from last week

• Have you got his 7" on Eclectic Breaks from the UK, "The Mattress". Out last year.
    Now that is a winner, but the flip kills it even more with the Hiedi Levo sung funk bomb, "The Schnizzle"