Why is record digging no part of hip hop?

2»

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I was just wondering how hip hip [/b] was build up

Sorry, my English sucks at times. Don't even know what bling bling was suposed to mean. I'm watching a soccer game while writing.

Bremen vs. Barcelona (Bremen used to be my favorite club)

• i think a crowd would gather around a b-boy but probably not around you at a crate at a record show.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Just sad to see people not wanting to own a tangible product. CoSign!!

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I think crate digging played a very big role from the very beginning of hiphop. DJ had to come up with fresh breaks to keep the party moving, please the b-boys and to give the mcs "instrumentals" to rap over. The fact that many dudes washed the labels off their records to keep them secret shows how important crate digging was. I think in the 80s the focus shifted from the djs to the producers.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Just sad to see people not wanting to own a tangible product.

out of context, that is just wrong.

• I don't get this question. I though djing was a part of hip hop? Isn't record digging a part of djing?

KRS HELP ME!

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I don't get this question. I though djing was a part of hip hop? Isn't record digging a part of djing?

KRS HELP ME!

That's what I was trying to say

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Don't even know what bling bling was suposed to mean.

I'm pretty sure it's the sound that shiny jewlery makes when light hits it.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I don't get this question. I though djing was a part of hip hop? Isn't record digging a part of djing?

KRS HELP ME!

Don't know. School me!
    Is producing a part of DJing too? What's up with that? Most producers can't scratch that good. Do the Beatnuts scratch on their own productions? Can Pete Rock scratch that well? How about Large Professor?

There're no digging or producers contests like there are scratching contests, are there? I consider DJing something else. The DJs I know personally don't know anything about old records. They'd use any record for scratching. They like to scratch and destroy their vinyl. Look at so called DJs touching or holding old records. Makes me shiver! Definitely NO collectors or diggers.

I'm not trying to make a statement. I don't care about hip hop or the reputation of digging that much. Just like to know how important digging is to hip hop people.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I think digging is very important to hip hop.

Even if you are making keyboard beats, its a great source for ideas.

But if you mean digging as in, physically flipping through crates of records at a record store.......I mean, not really.

Digging to me is just looking for shit you havent heard before. That can happen on soulseek, in the record store, on xm radio, whatever.

I dont think record collecting is really all that important to anyone but record dudes.

I would much rather people appreciate the music rather than lust after any "tangible product".

Seriously, who cares?

However, you can never rule out going to the record store. You can dig through break tapes and mp3's all day, but diggin through old wax gives you the ability to spontaneously flip through alot of cuts real fast and just work on instinct, which is something thats lost in mp3 diggin.

But i digs mad mp3's yall.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Records and crate diggers were always the 5th element of hip hop

Sssshhhhhh don't tell nobody

What would hip hop be without crate diggers?