There is nothing wrong with not liking rap anymore

2»

Comments

• I'm a rap lover who respects ones right not to love rap.

• "Mic Check," "Stay Fly," and "Back Then" indicate that I probably like rap more than I ever did B.S.S. (Before Soul Strut), but I think Dizzy's completely on point with his original post.

I mean dude I loved hardcore back in 1984-1988 - does the fact that I have absolutely no use for any HC band post '88 mean that I wasn't punk enough at the time? Outta here with that.

Preach, Dizzy - and fools better step up in this thread and admit they don't like current rap 'cos they damn sure say it on other threads.

• 8 Dizzy posts and I didn't laugh once.

Boo.

SoulStrut sucks. I don't like it anymore.

Herm

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Its easy to start hating on rap music. I do it sometimes, but, then I get obejective, & think how many rap artists I've enjoyed listening to in the last 5 years.

Edan
    Dipset
    The Team
    Quaz
    Paul Wall
    Geto Boys
    Jay-Z
    Doom
    Ed OG
    Beanie
    Murs
    Luda
    Asheru & Blue Black
    Devin

& that's just from the top of the dome.

12"s from the Bay, from Texas. Remixes, mash-ups. There's alot out there to like. I would have like to seen some of the older acts turn out some more quality stuff. I'm not happy about listening to a pete rock project & going , but what are you going to do?

peace

h

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    If somebody were to ask I would be wary to say that I like rap. I don't really know who's on rocafella and who's on def jam. I look at xxl maybe twice a year. I've never heard a dipset album. I don't like 50 cent. I've never tasted Jay-Z's vodka. Basically I don't think I could hold a conversation about rap with anyone who doesn't know who chi-ali is. You might be on to something with this maybe I don't like rap.

But I love intimate club music.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    If there is anything I've learned from playing corporate gigs and weddings, it is that most people stop paying attention to new music after college. Nothing is as good as it was then. DJing my college reunion was funny because it was class of 98, 93, 88, 83, 78, etc all at the same Pub night. The requests were extremely predictable and nobody was happy unless they were hearing their generation's shit. If you're 25 you want to hear Jay-Z or Lauren Hill. If you're 30 you want to hear Gangstarr or Nirvana. If you're 35 you want to hear Run DMC or REM. If you're 40 you want to hear Talking Heads. If you're 45 you want to hear Chic. If you're 80 you want to hear fucking Glen Miller Orchestra. Etc etc.

but as for me personally,

i love rap

and I can really never picture not listening to new music and enjoying it. Not hatting, just saying.

• I like rap music. I have for 26 years. I agree with a number of points, because as silly as it sounds, I've questioned it myself. Why is there an allegiance to a music that has changed? Or have I changed, have I grown up?

The Mummies had a label called Pre-B.S., because they celebrated rock'n'roll before it became "rock", before it became serious, profitable, marketable.

Iggy Pop said rock'n'roll at its best was not meant to be discussed as "collegiate", and that "Rolling Stone" magazine is at fault for putting in that thin line.

Did rap music morph into the more serious hip-hop when the majors finally looked at the music not as something offensive or degrading, but as a guaranteed moneymaker? Did it happen the moment Def Jam jumped from Columbia to Polygram/Universal? Was that the moment I was supposed to jump off the ship, when the music turned from It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back[/b] to the Livin' Large[/b] soundtrack? When Kid 'N Play had their own cartoon? When MC Hammer flew down with his parachute pants to Taco Bell?

I guess another question can be raised: for those of us who listen to rap music as part of our everyday listening habits, why do we continue to listen? For me, I like the creativity of the lyrics and the music. I will agree that I often do look for a sense of the spirit that I felt during high school, but I don't want to recapture that time in my present life. I still want to hear good music. I will find good music wherever necessary, be it Kadri Gopalnath or Illya Kuryaki & The Valdderamas. Or some old Allman Brothers Band.

I think of a lot of what passes as punk these days, or metal. I like System Of A Down because they remind me a bit of Anthrax. I was watching "Headbanger's Ball" the other night and heard a band called The Haunted. It too reminded me of the kind of speed metal I also had an allegiance to. Yet at the same time, I'm getting into the music of Buck Owens. I always have an ear for jazz.

Maybe for a lot of us, hip-hop was the first music that felt like "ours". It wasn't our parents music, it wasn't the records hidden behind the bowling ball in your uncle's apartment. To admit in wanting to leaving it behind brings mixed feelings. We have a loyalty for the past, and the best music on our Top 20 lists were all about honoring the music of the past, but wanting a better future by stepping up to the mic. It was a sense of nerd bravery, to be able to grab a silly ass mic, and make music by pressing the pause button over and over. What a lot of us grew up with and into is now a different animal. I used to love H.E.R. too, and at my age I am not looking at H.E.R. daughters. I still look at the idea of H.E.R. as something that will be around.

Aren't we foolish for having an allegiance to music? Yet we all know how we looked forward to that album or cassette putting us in a good mood when the entire world felt like shit. Then again, music as a whole is much greater than hip-hop. Yet it's a music that has always been bigger than life, or at least that's how we looked at it. Heard it. Felt it.

Time to let go? Perhaps.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    A highly entertaining and accurate post Mr Garizzy.

For me, you can say 99% of [insert genre] is terrible these days.

That's just me though.

Because if I stopped listening to new music right now, I don't think I could get through all my records. So it takes a whole lot more than some mumbling bama or faggits who dress like Iron Butterfly to even get...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I've never tasted Jay-Z's vodka.

It's good.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I totally wrote an article just like this first post. For the non-musically inclined Bboys. I didn't realize Soulstrut needed to check itself. You all seem a pretty eclectic bunch. Maybe I should've realized when Oliver was calling Kanye's album a 5 star.

- spidey

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Who's with me?

I DON'T LIKE RAP MUSIC.

RIP 2pac.

- spidey

• 8 Dizzy posts and I didn't laugh once.

Thats not fair, because I actually thought the first post was kinda funny. You must not love humor or you would have laughed.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    8 Dizzy posts and I didn't laugh once.

Thats not fair, because I actually thought the first post was kinda funny. You must not love humor or you would have laughed.

There is nothing wrong with not liking humor. Say it with me.

• There is something very wrong with people who talk about hip-hop being immature, then go throw on a funk 45 called "thick legged woman" or "do the funky jivebone" or something

• There is something very wrong with people who talk about hip-hop being immature, then go throw on a funk 45 called "thick legged woman" or "do the funky jivebone" or something

That's why I play funk sides like "Transmograpification" and "Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic." Yes. Yes, only High-IQ Thesaurus Funk in NC.

Exactly. I don't really care if the over 30 crowd doesn't like hip hop anymore. They need to find something they do enjoy and leave rap for the kids. Either adapt to the times or stay searching for "chicken scratch pt 2" or whatever floats your boat. Find some random rap etc..

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i love rap

Thats great. Just as there is nothing wrong with loving rap, there is nothing wrong with not loving rap.

but it sure is a drag (and sometimes downright maddening) to have to listen to folks go on and on and on and on and on about how it???ll never be like it was and how bad it is these days.

And yea, I heart rap, too.

• i love rap

Thats great. Just as there is nothing wrong with loving rap, there is nothing wrong with not loving rap.

but it sure is a drag (and sometimes downright maddening) to have to listen to folks go on and on and on and on and on about how it???ll never be like it was and how bad it is these days.

And yea, I heart rap, too.

Right. Thats my point. If you just give up and say "I don't care anymore" then though shalt find thyself not engaging in 9 page hip hop threads that go nowhere.

This is for the folks that say "If you don't like ___________ (insert fad MC of the month) then you must not like rap music." I have decided that you are right, that is my problem, and now I can move on.

Move on to where though? Easy. Adultcore Contemporonica....

• wow. all this talk about primo. you know, i really wasnt a fan of that golden age shit. like primo, pete rock, large pro. never even heard of them until i went to college. it was just too classy for me. i mean, i was listening to rap, but mostly it was the radio rap and west coast gangster rap [with an exception for big daddy kane, pe, and biz]. oh, and r&b, which i still love. so, im not mad at any of this new radio rap.

but anyways, since we're on the subject of primo, before i moved out to LA, i came down to visit in like 2001 or so and went to some party where these mexican dudes passed me a joint and i got SO FUCKING HIGH. and they were laughing and all like "hey man, that's primo". and im like "yeah, i like primo. give me more primo." and theyre like "no man, that's mota and rocks" and im like "yeah man, give me more mota and rocks." luckily, my friends grabbed me and we left. thank god. but, um, yeah, that shit was kinda good.

• There is no point in saying "OH rap? Yeah I love rap music, well I mean except for a lot of shit coming out today, you know, except for a few people here and there, but mostly that old school golden era rap, etc etc etc" Why bother? No matter HOW devoted you were, no matter how hip hop you were, just let it go.

I'm tired of that, too, so:

Who's with me?

I DON'T LIKE RAP MUSIC.

I am.

• i think the key here is just understanding that just because i dont like something does not mean that it is bad. and it's okay for people to like. it's just taste. otherwise the world will self destruct fighting about religion and things of that nature. peace, stein. . .

• I like this thread - for a variety of reasons.

One observation - who cares what the 'kids' or the 'streets' are feeling, I mean, have you actually tried talking to an 18 year old recently? Getting old and having the luxury of ignoring all the bullshit pressures and fads that go hand in hand with youth is a privilege. Listen to what the fuck you want, be that the dips or primo or whatever. Whatever floats your boat man.