Eddie Gale - Ghetto Music

bropsbrops 182 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Downloaded this after reading about it on turntablelab.com, and gotta say it's one of the most beautiful records I've heard in a while. I readed that he once was a member of Sun Ra's Arkestra. What more do I need to know about Eddie Gale? Which records do I need?

Comments

• What more do I need to know about Eddie Gale?

His other album on Blue Note... Black Rhythm Happening

• slushslush 691 Posts
    gale chopped with a lot of guys, coltrane, cecil taylor, sun ra...

its probably good to mention that both his records are complete oddities not only in the blue note catalogue, but as jazz(?) records in general.

the cross-polinization-genre-bending/mending on both records is more distinguished than tournament polo. like all of the great things of 1968 wrapped in a hot bun and olive oil.

they really require you to play them loud as fuck too

• gale chopped with a lot of guys, coltrane, cecil taylor, sun ra...

its probably good to mention that both his records are complete oddities not only in the blue note catalogue, but as jazz(?) records in general.

the cross-polinization-genre-bending/mending on both records is more distinguished than tournament polo. like all of the great things of 1968 wrapped in a hot bun and olive oil.

It's amazing that blue note put eddie gale out in 68! The playing is so very tight.

Gale's blue note LPs are an oddity but not completely alone out there. When you find an album like this tho it's often on a small indie label.

Other albums I've found a few things with a similar sound: oracy on pamoja, Sojourner on strata-east, norman conners on cobblestone (then buddah label... way underrated), infinite sound on 1750 arch, dee dee bridgewater, sons & daughters of lite, some more MPS and strata-east label stuffs.

There's a lot albums more but they don't have quite the fusion of spoken word, jazz, african, and funk/soul... lots are vocal-less.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i love all that stuff especially early norman connors, but i dont get the same wiggy factor as ghetto music

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    That album is a favorite of mine. "The Rain" is . I don't have Black Rhythm Happening, but it's been on my mental want list for a long time.

• Black Rhythm Happening is one of my favorite records, period.
    I looooOoooove that shit. I have been reorganizing my studio since getting back off vacation with the lady last week, came across that LP is morning, and goddamn man, its just too good.
    Anyways, I know it has been reissued, but I haven't heard if the pressing is decent. might be worth checking for in the local spots.
    6.dos

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Someone needs to make an Eddie Gale "Ghetto Music" t-shirt.

• can i get a on both those records ?

used to see them occasionally in auctions and whatnot back in the days, haven't seen either in a long time...

dave

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    20-30 dead prezos

• 20-30 dead prezos

thanks.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    20-30 dead prezos

I think in decent shape on this coast, they would be easily twice that.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    Someone needs to make an Eddie Gale "Ghetto Music" t-shirt.

thats funny you mention it... i did this a couple months ago for krudmart. dont know if were ever gonna go through with it. im no tshirt designer but it was fun to try it

front

back

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    shit is

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    20-30 dead prezos

that price is actually based on a TSL price

• Someone needs to make an Eddie Gale "Ghetto Music" t-shirt.

thats funny you mention it... i did this a couple months ago for krudmart. dont know if were ever gonna go through with it. im no tshirt designer but it was fun to try it

front

back

SIGN ME UP

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    20-30 dead prezos

that price is actually based on a TSL price

Damn! I gotta get my shit together!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    dude, make those shirts

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i gotta fix up the back, but id definitly still like to

• you know, i never really dug either one of his albums. the covers of the lp's, and the fact that they're late 60's blue note's had me thinking they were right up my alley, but they were both kinda disappointing to me... maybe i should give 'em a few more spins...

• i love all that stuff especially early norman connors, but i dont get the same wiggy factor as ghetto music

on Norman Connors "Dark Of Light" minty OG on Cobblestone? Found one real cheap, will put on the bay if it'll sell for 15 bones or more.

Thanks.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    ill buy for 15

• he "chopped" with a lot of guys?

anybody who talks like that must know a lot about music