Roberts Hearing

2»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This is the funniest thing I have read all day.
    i'll bet you lead a rich, flourishing social life.

My social life is not as crazy and complex as yours but I was busy with that whole school thing, which by the sounds of it you didn't bother with, or were you sick on Supreme Court Day?
    for some reason, you find it necessary to berate me whenever you have the opportunity. that's fine. if i was really so concerned with "appearing" more informed than i am, i'd just sit back, waiting to make cutting comments, instead of just wanting to know, and not being afraid to look bad. it was funny at first but now you just look like a jerk.

• it was funny at first but now you just look like a jerk.

Looks like you also missed comeback day as well.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    it was funny at first but now you just look like a jerk.

?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    John Roberts will not be David Souter.

Duh. You mean Anthony Kennedy?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

But yo, LAWYERS, watch what you say on soul strut[/b]. Shit WILL be used against you (25 years from now if you're trying to be Chief Justice).

• John Roberts will not be David Souter.

fo rreal.i imagine the repubs will take great pains to ensure that they dont pick another judge who will ripen liberally like souter did. that shit blew up in their face. what a blessing

• So I'm watching this hearing for Judge Roberts and I have to say that dude does not seem entirely evil. Am I wrong? He seems aight right now. Maybe I missed the part where he talked about taking away all of my freedoms.

don't buy the gentlemanly bs. wolf with a silver tongue and a nice suit. there is a reason that the rightest of the right wing has shut the hell up and is happy with this guy.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Magic, Toe, you need to take it out side with Guzzo and Shig.

Since the guy he is replacing is so far to the right it is nice to hear that at least he is smooth. Why is no one asking him about the FL election fiasco. "I was just making that argument for a client, it does not reflect how I would approach it as a judge."

Did anyone hear Sandra Day O'connor mention that Rehnquist liked to bet on elections? I'll bet he had a few dollars down on an election that he decided the outcome of.

What about Ted Kennedy? When they told him to let Roberts answear, he said, "I don't want to hear his answear." What an ass.

Dan

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    One more thing. The week before he was nominated he found twice for the administration on 2 high profile cases, the terrorist one mentioned above, and one I forget, but it may have been terror related also. I said right then, he will be the pick.

Well last week some judge just decided that enemy combatents can be held until the war is over (never), even if they are American citizens and they have not been charged, and no jury has seen evidence against them. I say that guy will be the next pick.

Dan

• What about Ted Kennedy? When they told him to let Roberts answear, he said, "I don't want to hear his answear." What an ass.

give 'em a break he was prolly faded.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Rehnquist had a fucked up past with racial issues, but when he got on the court he wasn't able to turn it hard to the right like he or others wanted.

Roberts seems like a traditional conservative, suspcious of government power, doesn't really like things like Affirmative Action or abortion rights, but not militant about them. He's not someone like Thomas or Scalia.

And as for who Bush will next nominate, it seems like if he had his way he would go with loyalty and friendship over ideology and appoint Gonzalez, the current Attorney General, is like Roberts seems to be a traditional conservative, not someone on the hard right.

Neither of these guys, for example, is like Bork, who would've blown shit up.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    it was funny at first but now you just look like a jerk.

jeez. this is the best internet beef ever.