Prog?

bropsbrops 182 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I see psych is mentioned a lot in this forum. What about prog? I've been raised with my dad palying Pink Floyd and my mom playing ABBA, so early in my youth I hated both prog and disco. Today I tend to like much early prog from the late 60s and early 70s. It probably has a lot in common with psych and fusion, but I guess there are some diffrences. Anyway.. Gong was a great band. What about you guys?

Comments

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Nice list. I tend to dislike everything between 1974 and 1977, in every genre really. From 1966-1974 there was so much good soul, funk, jazz, psych, fusion, kraut and prog, but after that prog became too static I think, and I've never been into blues rock of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Punk, no wave and hip hop in the late 70s brought me back. If there is anything in the mid 70s I like it has to be dub/roots/reggea and afrobeat (basically Fela Kuti). Was there any prog bands in the mid 70s who actually held on to the rawness of early prog?

• Gong is a fantastic band with many dope records. The first ones are trippy as hell. Gong had one problem and that was the sax player. In my opinion a lot of prog and rock in general is ruined by bad sax players. It seems the bands had high standards for all instrumentalists but just took in the first fool with a sax they ran into. Daevid Allen from Gong made some great tracks too. Check out the related Obsolete on Shandar.

I was listening to prog alot early on but later I wanted music to either relax me or move me on the dancefloor. I'm glad I kept some prog though because nowadays I'm taking that trip again once in a while. Same goes for intense jazz. This must be done over headphone because prog is not tolerated in my house. I like pretty much all Yes records before Going for the one. I like it alot and I like the whole package including the humourless airy fairy vibes and lyrics and Jon Andersons voice and the stupid cover-art. You can complain about Jon Anderson and many do, but that's like complaining about Benny Maupin being part of the Headhunters or complaining about the grass being green.

I think nowadays I'm more into the prog bands that were on the psych or blue eyed soul side of things. Like Hannibal where they go into these funk jams all the time or Raw Material with dope flutes.

(traded that one for some 100$ dollar record... stupid)

From the really tight knitted bands I only still play Yes regularly. The other British bands had all that imagery of knights and battlefields and trolls and all that midevil stuff and that I don't dig so much. I really am into the humourless airy fairy stuff where you can almost smell the bad veganist breath of the members of yes and the futurism of kraut bands has me tripping out too.

Tense male vocals... that's another problem besides the bad sax players. Is there any female prog?

Man, that reminds me, I saw Caudio Simonetti recently with his new band Deamonia. It's pretty much a Goblin cover-band. That was a great concert. I even loved the Bach-renditions they did! Apparently they tour a lot and you have to watch out for them. They play on horrorfestivals around the world.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    I tend to dislike everything between 1974 and 1977

????

you need some 1975 in your life man:

the only prog i can stand in resally large doses is the cantebury stuff (soft machine, floyd, caravan), Goblin Crimson.

but i could listen to this everyday if need be and its well past any "raw" early days BS:

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Most of Vertigo's early catalog is a must.

One of my favorite albums of the summer:

another nice one I got from the same haul of british stuff:

• Magma dudes. Magma. the most intense, maniacal, viloent prog ever..try any of their records but stop after their live LP form 78 on Tomato. this shit is scary stuff.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    I tend to dislike everything between 1974 and 1977

????

you need some 1975 in your life man:

Miles Davis is great. I got most albums between Miles Smiles and Get Up With It (haven't got all the live albums). It's my favorite Miles Davis-period, and probably also my favorite periode in music... I'll check out some later records by him. Haven't even heard these two.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Italian prog rules

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I see psych is mentioned a lot in this forum. What about prog? I've been raised with my dad palying Pink Floyd and my mom playing ABBA, so early in my youth I hated both prog and disco. Today I tend to like much early prog from the late 60s and early 70s. It probably has a lot in common with psych and fusion, but I guess there are some diffrences. Anyway.. Gong was a great band. What about you guys?

Honestly, 70-80% of the records mentioned in the Psych threads are prog. There seems to be a general misunderstand on what Psych is on SS. I'm not expect on the matter, but I do now I got a lot of Prog that was listed within the Psych threads

• I hate Prog.