Nova Scotia- Recommendations? (NRR)

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Hey Strutters,I'm going to a Bah Mitzvah in NS later on in the summer and was wondering what people might recommend for sight seeing/day trippin in the Northern Sector, mainly, but any location will do, as we're driving all the way North for the event. I checked a lot of things people suggested for Montreal when I posted that, so I thought I'd do it again.Any Scotians in the house?

Comments

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Weather in August, also?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    If you see an extra Sidwinders "Flatfoot Hustlin" LP, can you grab if for me?

• Options
    Weather in UAgust is gorgeous. If y0u're a golfer, there's a 5 star course up in Cape Breton - also a thrillig place to visit if you're not a golfer.

Sidewinders, ha! That album isn't that good, ya know.

K.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    That album isn't that good, ya know.

I was under the impression that if you get within a 1 mile radius of a copy you will start to bleed out of your eyes?

Not true?

• Options
    There's a good store north of Hali. I'll ttry and find the card - that's where I found my 2 copies while in University.

K.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yo

im from nova scotia

where exactly are you going to be going?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I'm going to a Bah Mitzvah in NS later on in the summer and was wondering what people might recommend for sight seeing/day trippin in the Northern Sector, mainly, but any location will do, as we're driving all the way North for the event.

lambert,
    you're going to enjoy yourself. i spent a few weeks camping in nova scotia two years ago and it was wonderful.

i would recommend blomidon provincial park:
    http://parks.gov.ns.ca/parks/blomidon.htm
    it's great for camping, if you've got the means, but the views are phenomenal. hiking through the woods, or down in the minas basin. fucking crazy 400-yard tides. you can walk all the way to the end of the earth it seems when the tide is out. (not exactly north, but the best sites/beauty i felt slightly below the north.)

caribou/munroes island:
    http://parks.gov.ns.ca/parks/caribou.htm
    near prince edward island. the northumberland strait claims to have the warmest saltwater swimming north of the carolinas, but i froze my fucking nuts off trying to swim in it. still, it was worth it. frisbee, cocunut lotion, snacks. there are little tiny fish that swim all around your feet when you walk in the water, and nibble (gently) at you. it's a little weird at first, but i miss them now. nice trails in the area as well. above the beach, there is a bluff the size of 4 football fields with perfectly manicured grass that is impossibly hard to not lie in all day. i walked back up there in the middle of the night and watched as meteors showered from the sky.

tidnish dock provincial park:
    http://parks.gov.ns.ca/parks/amherst.htm
    on our way out of nova scotia we randomly drove towards the water looking for a place to eat lunch and found tidnish. it was completely empty. the entire park was ours. i ate the best tasting blood orange of my life just seconds before we took this picture:

this place is great for hanging around, relaxing under a shade tree, swimming, eating, etc. there seems to be a residuum of joy in every public space in nova scotia. like the person who was there before you left invisible rose petals for you to walk on...

everyone i met there is terribly charming. very friendly, and doesn't mind holding up a grocery line to tell you five or thirty-five places you must[/b] visit before you leave. be warned: the coffee is fucking awful everywhere in nova scotia. but the abundance of homemade fudge (you'll see the signs -- they're everywhere) clearly makes up for it. garage sales and flea markets are abundant in the warm months, so you may find some records, antiques, glassware, etc.

if, for some reason, you make it to the most southern tip, you should stop in at darling lake. the proprietor of the camp ground there was obviously the nicest man i've ever met in my life. we arrived past 10pm (when they were "closed") and he didn't mind, he informed me i would save money if i paid for the campsite by credit card instead of US dollar, AND he not only walked us to our campsite carrying free firewood, but he also lit the fire as we set up our tent. because, as he said, "it's a shame not to enjoy a campfire on your first night in nova scotia..."

i dare anyone anywhere to show me an example of a nicer man!

we woke up the next morning at 6, as the fog was clearing, only to notice the man had given us perhaps the nicest lot in the entire campground. we were literally a restless nights tossing from falling in the lake. we opened the tent, grabbed the pinhole camera, and this is what 30-seconds of nova scotia dawn revealed:

enjoy. please let me know how it goes.
    ~bam

yeah

i'll reiterate to say that NS in august is some next level beauty.

if you're in the north definatly check out the antigonish / merigomish area... beautiful sand duned beaches with a view of PEI.. and the warmest waters in the entire province.

• whatwhatwhatwhat 89 Posts
    yo

im from nova scotia

Dubious, where are you from? I'm from Sydney.

For sightseeing, Nova Scotia makes it easy. Just drive towards the ocean. No matter where you are, getting to the ocean is a couple hours drive at most, usually much less, and always worth it. Also, and small town is gonna have lots of local flavour. You can go down to the docks in most of these small towns and buy fresh seafood directly from the fishermen. A couple spots in particular:

Lunenburg - small fishing village on the southern tip of NS. Very old school, as in, it's the same today as it was in the 1700s. World Heritage Site, in fact.

Keji-something park - Big park / campground. An easy drive from Halifax.

Peggy's cove - Good spot for ocean watching, also an easy drive from Halifax.

As was said before, Cape Breton is beautiful, particularly the west coast: Inverness, Mabou, Cheticamp. If you're in that area, you gotta check out the Highlands park and the Cabot trail. Make sure your car has good brakes!

My favorite campsite is called Inverness Beach Village in Inverness. check it:
    http://www.macleods.com/

for records, there are a couple spots in downtown Halifax: Taz (watch out - asshole owners!) and Revolution (good spot for hiphop).

Hope this helps.

Dubious, where are you from? I'm from Sydney.

im from halifax... livin in the big ole toronto now though.

Lunenburg - small fishing village on the southern tip of NS. Very old school, as in, it's the same today as it was in the 1700s. World Heritage Site, in fact.

yeah totally beautifull.. this is my mom's home town.. very very nice place.

Peggy's cove - Good spot for ocean watching, also an easy drive from Halifax.

yeah that whole area is beautiful.. especially if you take the old road along the coast from halifax.

Taz (watch out - asshole owners!)

yeah he's been around since i was in high school.. so thats like a good 15 years.. and i've never bought a record from him ONCE

capitol A ASSHOLE.

and overpriced out the arse.

go out to Bedford and hit select sounds

the only really half decent record store in the metro area.

though last time i was there it was pretty dry...

• Options

go out to Bedford and hit select sounds

the only really half decent record store in the metro area.

though last time i was there it was pretty dry...

There's a good store north of Hali. I'll ttry and find the card - that's where I found my 2 copies while in University.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Wow.

Thanks for all the suggestions, you guys.

Overboard on some next level shit!

Now I can't f'n wait to go.

• There are a few junk shops in Dartmouth just on the other side of Halifax, you can take the ferry (dont smoke weed on it! people will fight you over that shit)... on Brunswick street there are a few shops with LPs and sometimes these assholes will do some stupid shit, like let an original 808 got for $100 or something. Anyways, if you come up, send me some hot doubles!.

6.dos

• SixToo,

I think you know my friend Miro pretty well. He's from Halifax and is also one of the nicest dudes anywhere. When he goes back to visit his folks, he always brings us smoked salmon, real headz know the deal syrup, and Wunderbars. BOMB.

So my point is, it sounds like there's lots of cool folks and tasty food up that way. Plus, if you refer to people in the 'Fax as "Haligonians," they'll be impressed. You might even get a free Wunderbar out of it.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    Miro is Sixtoo's dad.

• Greeto Stef...
    Hoggin', yes indeed, Miro is one of the true homies, and is an excellent representative of the Maritime hospitality !!, Man.. piss on the smoked salmon, you should get him to make you some bougie tofu stir fry! dood is no joke. He will make a fine housewife someday. Ahh the maritimes... Stef: how overdue are you?!

6.dos