Don't worry about us in LA...

BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
We're ok everybody. I know you were all very concerned.Seriously though, you wanna talk about instant hysteria? Turn off the power in LA for 15 minutes and watch what happens. Folks be quiet about it but inside they're like OH SHIT THIS IS IT... And it's a reminder that in spite of everything happening elsewhere, this is still the most apocalyptically minded place there is.

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    haha everybody in downtown was just like "awww man...McDonalds is closed???"

I just waited 30 min in line to get a hot dog cause all the restaurants closed. haha.

All I know is I wouldn't want to be stuck in an elevator for an hour. shit happened like 5 min after I came downstairs.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!! (it's true...)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dude this shit rocked....we were talking about grabbing all the water bottles and kitchen knives and taking out all the dudes in Mercedes driving down Wilshire

The revolution will be televised (on basic cable)

• Is traffic all messed up? I'm going to get my broken ankle looked at in Glendale and I'm already late. FUCK!!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    traffic looked OK, but the building where your getting your ankle looked at may be without power

• yeh its a mess. people have a hard enough time driving with traffic signals imagine it with most of the lights out...

• why the rolling blackouts? did enron raise the price today? is this the terrorist attack? i don't have any windows here, is anything burning? lights are still on here too. somebody plaese to misinform me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    why the rolling blackouts? did enron raise the price today? is this the terrorist attack? i don't have any windows here, is anything burning? lights are still on here too. somebody plaese to misinform me.

wait the lights are out, but the computer is still working?

Fuck it I'm bout to smoke a blunt

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Fuck it I'm bout to smoke a blunt

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Just be careful - once the power goes out, all those white people go out trying to "find" food & sneakers & shit...

• al queda

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    no sign of power outage in WEHO...

• Damn..no outage in BH where I work.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I don't want to be in LA when shit goes down. I know that much.

But yo...
    It's in the 80's in PS so it must be in the 70's over there. I'm not even using my A/C.
    So essplain to me why there would be a rolling blackout.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

But yo...
    It's in the 80's in PS so it must be in the 70's over there. I'm not even using my A/C.

Al Queda has conspired a master plan to shut off power for a full 15 seconds in los angeles. Local news wont shut the fuck up about it.

This is our tsunami.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    rumor I'm hearing is "someone cut the cable"

sounds a little too simple, and a little too quick an answer to me.

especially during a time in which the nation is focused on a crisis in new orleans and a guy who calimed to be al queda claimed there will be aterrorist attack in LA next

• I don't want to be in LA when shit goes down. I know that much.

But yo...

Al Queda has conspired a master plan to shut off power for a full 15 seconds in los angeles. Local news wont shut the fuck up about it.

This is our tsunami.

we can only hope. having to pull all food out of my fridge and reset my alarm clock ain't shit considering what has been going on.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

But yo...

This is our tsunami.

Cops on 'tactical alert' in LA
    12/09/2005 22:53 - (SA)
    Related Articles
    # Huge power cut hits LA
    # Al-Qaeda threatens LA

Los Angeles - A large portion of Los Angeles was hit with a blackout on Monday afternoon.

The city was investigating the cause and extent of the outage. But Catherine Plows, a police spokesperson, said terrorism was not suspected.

Electrical power was knocked out shortly before 13:00 (20:00 GMT) after two power surges, and traffic was snarled at intersections throughout the city when stop lights went dark.

The lights also went out at downtown high-rises.

The police department went on "full tactical alert," meaning no officers were allowed to leave duty.

The blackout came a day after the ABC television network aired a videotape of a purported al-Qaeda member making terrorist threats against Los Angeles and Melbourne, Australia, on the fourth anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

Heavy usage on hot days can lead to blackouts.

But the weather in Los Angeles was not unusually hot on Monday.

I bet some of you folls were scared though after what the news reported yesterday.
    I probably would have been bugging a bit.

ya'll are some funny fuckers

some idiot cut a cable and power in the downtown area and part of san fernando vally was out for like an hour. that's not too hard to conceive these days.

It happened during my lunch break so it didn't really effect me at all other than I had to eat at a hot dog stand cause everything else was closed.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Hmm...this was taken from Reuters:

Widespread power outage hits Los Angeles
    Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:36 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A widespread power outage hit Los Angeles on Monday, knocking out electricity to thousands of customers, snarling traffic and stranding high-rise office workers in elevators or trains as officials scrambled to determine the cause.

There was no immediate evidence of foul play, but authorities declared a state of emergency[/b] shortly after the 12:35 p.m. PDT (3:35 p.m. EDT) blackout, which struck a wide swath of the city in seemingly random patches.

"The city is on a tactical alert and obviously traffic is going to be impacted," said Los Angeles Police spokesman Kevin Maiberger as lines of cars jammed the city's freeways.

Maiberger described a tactical alert as "what happens when the city goes into a state of emergency. Police officers will only be responding to calls where there is a threat to life[/b]."

There were no evacuations planned and no reports of injuries. Within about an hour of the initial blackout, power was restored to some of the affected areas.

The power failure jangled nerves in Los Angeles one day after a suspected Al Qaeda associate made threats against America's second-largest city in a videotape aired as the U.S. marked the fourth anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

Los Angeles officials and police chief William Bratton had said there was no credible evidence of any planned attacks.

Department of Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said the authorities there were monitoring the situation but, "At this time there's no indication of a nexus to terrorism."

Early indications were that the outage was caused by the accidental severing of a power line.

"LADWP is indicating it's a construction break of someone cutting through an electrical line that tripped two switches," said Ray Riordan, acting executive director of the nonprofit California Utilities Emergency Association.

Los Angeles International Airport reported losing power briefly but said back-up power had averted flight disruptions.

A Los Angeles Department of Water and Power spokeswoman said it was not immediately known how many homes or businesses lost electricity, but it was in the thousands.

Outages were reported across downtown Los Angeles, Koreatown, North Hollywood, Burbank and the San Fernando Valley.

Television stations showed confusion at major traffic intersections as motorists tried to navigate through stoplights that were out. Freeway traffic was jammed as stoplight outages caused backups onto exit ramps.

In the financial district of Los Angeles, office workers huddled in groups, many stranded outside their buildings as the outage struck during lunch, stalling elevators in high-rise office towers.

That's crazy.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I bet some of you folls were scared though after what the news reported yesterday.

not speaking for the rest of angelinos, but i can honestly say that i and all the people at my work went unphased at this. maybe if our power had went down and we had time to sit around and conjure up fear-inducing possibilities behind cause... but it didn't. there's also the fact that we're in la. pretty hard to fuck with such a spread out city if you don't have a biological weapons, in which case we're all fucked. and we weren't about to let some goofy al-qaedo fuck from orange county scare us. it's funny to think how frustrated the dude must have been when even local news reports last night weren't taking the tape too seriously...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

seriously I don't thnk anyone I saw in my building was freaked. I mean some people were pissed that their computers shutting off before they had a chance to save. But half of the folks went downstairs to have a cigarette, the other half watched them have a cigarette. and I went to get a toasty sub at quizno's

• i hear sirens driving by outside. (ducking under table) quick somebody tell me whats going on...

• no sign of power outage in WEHO...

Nope. Been good.

• leave it to the two dudes at dwp to plug shit in where they are not supposed to . overload some panels and take out half of los angeles. wonder what the conversation is like when they get home tonight.

wife: how was your day?

dwp worker: well i turned off half of los angeles today. but it was really chad's fault. he farted and totally distracted me while i was reading the panel schedule.

my girl is in West Covina and her power is still out...lame

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

But yo...

This is our tsunami.

Cops on 'tactical alert' in LA
    12/09/2005 22:53 - (SA)
    Related Articles
    # Huge power cut hits LA
    # Al-Qaeda threatens LA

Los Angeles - A large portion of Los Angeles was hit with a blackout on Monday afternoon.

The city was investigating the cause and extent of the outage. But Catherine Plows, a police spokesperson, said terrorism was not suspected.

Electrical power was knocked out shortly before 13:00 (20:00 GMT) after two power surges, and traffic was snarled at intersections throughout the city when stop lights went dark.

The lights also went out at downtown high-rises.

The police department went on "full tactical alert," meaning no officers were allowed to leave duty.

The blackout came a day after the ABC television network aired a videotape of a purported al-Qaeda member making terrorist threats against Los Angeles and Melbourne, Australia, on the fourth anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

Heavy usage on hot days can lead to blackouts.

But the weather in Los Angeles was not unusually hot on Monday.

i bugged for like 2min. after my co-worker was all "it might be the terrorists" half-seriously. it's pretty silly to immediately conclude that but i thought to myself, "hey maybe they want to take advantage of the fact that one of the busiest places in LA is uncoordinated right now." and then i thought about a plane crashing through the window, and i was scared. but only for a brief moment.

BUT, anything is possible during these times.

but we gotta keep moving eh.