Post a pic of your favourite record store!!!

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Great thread Olski!

I know a lot of you don't want to "blow up spots" but I know you can at least give up one location for our viewing pleasure, right?

That said, anyone rolling through SD should hit:

Record City! (right off University on 6th) Graham (not the dude pictured) and the wonderful staff get a thumbs up from me, Dizzybull, Al Garth, Iron Monkey, and all the other SoCal strutters, no doubt. Dude knows his rock (esp 80's) and has hooked us all up constantly.

• Yo, I ain't dissing nobody because I am a staunch believer in the quality over quantity motto, but I bought this many records times two just today in northern California. And they were quality. What's gives in NY?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• Vinyl Only in Heidelberg (Germany)
    click on "look around" to have a 360?? view!

not my fav. record store (way too expensive) but the first i've been to.

Favorite Store: Look at Grope's 2nd picture!

• I like to shop private a lot,

like here at the house of a guy in Bremen. He got two levels in his house and lives in the lower one, while the upper level is simply filled with records all over the place and in all the rooms.

There were so much records there, we had sometimes to roll over them to get to other rows of records... Sorry I took the pic with my mobile, shot with a wideangle it would have been more impressive...

I wonder if his house could stand the couple of extra tons of vinyl - And His vinyl weights a ton seriously.

Post some other Pics of private homes stuffed w rex, I always liked this pic of the 45 stuffed kitchen cupboard posted here so much :-)

And post pics of the owner/seller too, some guys are really strange and have a lot of funny stories to tell. Post some anecdotes, strutters!!!!

Or big fairs, like Utrecht in Netherlands:

Or in New York:

Or in Belgium:

And here one of my favourites in Lundun:

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

Oh, snap! I am--as your wall-piece Gwen Stefani would say--"hella" embarassed: I thought Good Records was one of those credit-fixing joints.

Let me ask you, though: Is this the kind of spot that I can roll into, check my half-eaten chickwich for, like, half a playing card or a clothespin or something, and then flip through your dollar bin, hold stuff up, and say, "Oh, y'all got that on the wall, but don't know about this?," sigh loudly, pin some farts on the dude that just left ("Damn, holmes needs to have a talk with his butcher or something..."), not buy anything, get change for a dollar, and then jet? Maybe come back for the other half of the chickwich later? 'Cause--not to knock your hustle or anything--but if this is not so, then I'm afraid that me and my crinkled Lincolns will have to go elsewhere.

My favorite spot the last couple months has been Jim's Jernts AKA Da Jonxery AKA the back third of my crates. These days I'm strictly blowing dust off of half-forgotten gems that I've been having. Good on the wallet, good on the ear, and good on the clock. Fuck retail.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

$5 a piece store, then $4 a piece store, now two videos for one vinyl store...

this dude that runs this shit is a trip... kinda freaky looking... found some nasty 45s in these weird gym lockers that he has on the left hand side.. great sdtks, mexican psyche, and rap records...

• coffeejones,
    you are completely hommie! nice pics

i'll try to motivate and scan some old polaroids

• Yo, I ain't dissing nobody because I am a staunch believer in the quality over quantity motto, but I bought this many records times two just today in northern California. And they were quality. What's gives in NY?

The stock is about three times that now. That was a couple days after we finished renovating, our bins were a quarter full...

"What gives in NY" is that commercial rent averages around $5-7 per square foot in any shopping district. Ever been to George's shop on Essex?

• I shopped here for many years, now they pay the bills:

I've also spent much time here:

SONIC

• Georges closing - shit! I wanted to drop by in November...
    I hope he finds a new spot somewhere.

I don't want to see him leaving town, like the "Down Stairs Records" people, where I found always some really nice records...

BTW: Does someone know where or if they reopened and if it is still worth checking out?

SC

• Georges closing - shit!

Damn.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    This thread pisses me off! All I can get out here are pics of some HOT Thrift Store Face Melting Streisand and Heb Alpert joints!

• Got to go to Paris, when is the next one going on there??
    Paris always good for extratasty Docteur Faust and freshest Boogie racats...

Scoper

those are all from utrecht last november
    remi is dude, comes from paris with african, latin, caribbean & jazz to die for !
    come to nyc in november & check the wfmu record fair
    then.......
    utrecht 2 weeks after !!!

• @Scope: You working for panthertainment, right?

nice pics btw...

• All the one spot. There's always something here.

• All the one spot. There's always something here.

damn, looks like my house

• Let me ask you, though: Is this the kind of spot that I can roll into, check my half-eaten chickwich for, like, half a playing card or a clothespin or something, and then flip through your dollar bin, hold stuff up, and say, "Oh, y'all got that on the wall, but don't know about this?," sigh loudly, pin some farts on the dude that just left ("Damn, holmes needs to have a talk with his butcher or something..."), not buy anything, get change for a dollar, and then jet? Maybe come back for the other half of the chickwich later? 'Cause--not to knock your hustle or anything--but if this is not so, then I'm afraid that me and my crinkled Lincolns will have to go elsewhere.

This is the kind of spot where we would be flattered to preserve your chickwich for later.

• ericeric 155 Posts
    ScopeCGN what's the name of that shop in belgium?

• Let me ask you, though: Is this the kind of spot that I can roll into, check my half-eaten chickwich for, like, half a playing card or a clothespin or something, and then flip through your dollar bin, hold stuff up, and say, "Oh, y'all got that on the wall, but don't know about this?," sigh loudly, pin some farts on the dude that just left ("Damn, holmes needs to have a talk with his butcher or something..."), not buy anything, get change for a dollar, and then jet? Maybe come back for the other half of the chickwich later? 'Cause--not to knock your hustle or anything--but if this is not so, then I'm afraid that me and my crinkled Lincolns will have to go elsewhere.

Obviously you're a regular at the record store where I work. Actually there are a couple of dudes copping your style these days so it might be a good idea to switch it up.

And don't go for the "jaded 40 year rocker dude who mumbles to himself in the corner, puts dozens of corny 45s on hold and writes the titles down on scrap paper so he can go home and look them up on Manship's site, while trying to avoid getting a real job by becoming a "Monster In Demand Northern Soul Stepper" tycoon by flipping $1 45s for $3 on-line" look. That's been crowded for awhile.

SONIC

• best international jams found in paris area
    I fucking LOVE records.

Word!
    I've had nothing but disappointments so far in Paris.
    Where's that ?

• This thread pisses me off! All I can get out here are pics of some HOT Thrift Store Face Melting Streisand and Heb Alpert joints!

• milomilo 49 Posts

• Woah, I just had to take a double take. This looks so much like a Japanese second hand store in Orange County. They have another branch in one of the beach communities (I think Redondo orManhattan Beach) and one in New York. I think it's a different chain but exactly the same design, staff with aprons and all. The first time I went in there I didn't even understand that I was looking at second hand CDs (they don't do vinyl). Every CD was in one of those resealable japanese bags. Then I saw them preparing used CDs and books: Every disk, every spine was dusted and polished. I never left a second hand store with such clean hands.

• And don't go for the "jaded 40 year rocker dude who mumbles to himself in the corner, puts dozens of corny 45s on hold and writes the titles down on scrap paper so he can go home and look them up on Manship's site, while trying to avoid getting a real job by becoming a "Monster In Demand Northern Soul Stepper" tycoon by flipping $1 45s for $3 on-line" look. That's been crowded for awhile.

SONIC

Hey man, don't knock the hustle

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Vinyl Only in Heidelberg (Germany)
    click on "look around" to have a 360?? view!

Hey, next time you're in there please say hello to Tomas from Bevan... dude's mad cool...

peace.

• sheeep, 360 of avatar plaese
    what she holding in the back??

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Heard this spot closed.

I was very disappointed when I moved back from LA last year to find this closed. I remember a conversation with some of the guys behind the counter a couple of years ago where they told me that the owner wasn't really into the music. I guess the closure was a pure business decision, but I was really surprised because the downstairs (Hiphop) bit always looked busy and I always thought the upstairs (Latin) did a fair bit of mail order business. Does anyone know the story?

Yeah, where are Hugh and those guys? Last I heard someone from there put out a Biz Markie 12"

I use to love Bongo. I sold them atleast 10 copies of Main Source - Think/Atom back in the day. When did they close down? I haven't been to London in about 4 years now.

• We saw this dude in Alabama at a record show last month. Nice feller.