So I snapped my first record yesterday

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited April 2005 in Record Collecting
That's right... i was just messing around with a common 7" and seeing if bending it would effect the slight warp when 'SNAP', it just broke. Sort of took me by suprise - so has anyone actually snapped anything good?

Comments

• i stepped on a 7 inch, i'm not sure what it was right now but i wanna say it was "funky town"

...it will be missed

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    i was just messing around with a common 7" and seeing if bending it would effect the slight warp when 'SNAP', it just broke.?

Ouch.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I ccidently snapped a copy of the Rhetta Hughes LP on Tetrogramon. There was this other time that I somehow cracked a Mel & Tim LP in half by putting it in my expedit

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I have thrown and destroyed a few horrible 80's 12"s. They are pretty tough until they hit the wall/pavement.

When I was a lil tyke I scratched up and destroyed my dad's classical and EZ listening rackords.

• Too Short - "Girl" 12"

Was so happy when I bought it but it was a lil' dished out so then I started messing where I shouldn't and *POW!*

I once dropped a copy of that SF Deaf Club record (rare punk lp with early DK's, etc) by just stupidly letting the disc roll out of the jacket. MANNY little pieces.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I have thrown and destroyed a few horrible 80's 12"s. They are pretty tough until they hit the wall/pavement.

When I was a lil tyke I scratched up and destroyed my dad's classical and EZ listening rackords.

Man you might of banged up some top dollar Pearson-esque bloodshitters and mayabe a couple copies of Permissive Polyphonics.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've only broken records intentionaly. It's amazing how strong they are, no?

Man you might of banged up some top dollar Pearson-esque bloodshitters and mayabe a couple copies of Permissive Polyphonics.

Naah, Seiji Ozawa will never be missed. No Project 3 or 4 in my house, either.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Here are some labels I have cut off of raers and semi-raers I somehow managed to snap and/or fuck up...as for the Soul Seven, I promised the abuser of the record I would never mention the incident again...I plan to laminate these and make coasters out of them

• Man you might of banged up some top dollar Pearson-esque bloodshitters and mayabe a couple copies of Permissive Polyphonics.

Naah, Seiji Ozawa will never be missed. No Project 3 or 4 in my house, either.

what about Yo-Yo MA?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I accidently snapped a copy of the Rhetta Hughes LP on Tetrogramon.

OOPS.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I accidentally knelt on my Elvis Presley - Blue Moon/Just Beacause 78 & snapped it. I also snapped my Bessie Smith - Empty Bed Blues 78 while packing it to send overseas to a guy who just bought it. Doh.

haha, my dad is enjoying his Yo-Yo Ma CD box my sis got him for xmas

• I was putting on my GIRLFRIEND's mono copy of His Hand In Mine by Elvis, but accidentally dropped it and it broke.

There was a record show that weekend, but I couldn't concentrate on digging my own shit, because I was too busy looking through every table's Elvis pile. Fortunately I found one for 5 bucks.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    yep, snapped a Variations 45 that was mint with a slight warp... don't try to bend styrene.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    yep, snapped a Variations 45 that was mint with a slight warp... don't try to bend styrene.
    duly noted.

• I have thrown and destroyed a few horrible 80's 12"s. They are pretty tough until they hit the wall/pavement.

On a night when KingMost was not handling his liquor particularly (file under "pick a night, any night"), I saw him destroy a 7" of "Miss You" by the Rolling Stones (a record that I gave him).

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Let's see, I've snapped, chipped, or put my thumb through...

An awesome private press electronic album from the early 70s by Magnetic Web
    Don Quixote - Magazine 60
    Toilet Stool Rap - Biz Markie
    2030 - Cli-N-Tel
    Cat Woman - Abaco Dream

I think that's it.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• Let me take this moment to tall up Mike tha 26 Hunnert Kang.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I found a copy of Thor's Hammer US-pressed 45 on Columbia at a record show & broke promptly after I bought it. Luckily, I only paid a dollar or two, and then found it again a few weeks after....

• That's right... i was just messing around with a common 7" and seeing if bending it would effect the slight warp when 'SNAP', it just broke. Sort of took me by suprise - so has anyone actually snapped anything good?

did the same thing to a biz markie studda step 12in

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I've posted this story before, but I had a small shipping box of 45s perched on the arm of the couch. The thing started tipping over and I put my finger down to keep it from sliding onto the floor. On the very top of the pile was my m- copy of Jerry-O There Was a Time b/w Funky Charge (White Whale) sitting half up on the edge of the box and half in the box so a tiny bit of pressure snapped that polystyrene beauty right in half, a sad sacrifice to Sayer, destroyer of Raers:[/b]

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I bought a copy of the second Baiano & Os Novos Caetanos LP in Brazil. Get home, pull it out of the sleeve, and suddenly it shatters into four pieces. Completely weird - I don't know if there were invisible cracks that got worse during the flight? The record was together when I pulled it out of the sleeve, then seemed to snap into pieces from its own weight.

WHOA!

• What are you complaining about, records with breaks that go all the way through!!

i was just messing around with a common 7" and seeing if bending it would effect the slight warp when 'SNAP', it just broke. Sort of took me by suprise - so has anyone actually snapped anything good?

I was messing with my mind and seeing if bending it would effect the slight warp, when 'SNAP'.....

• Anyone ever snapped a dynaflex record and if so, how could this be done??

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    whoah

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    whoah
    Bsides, your avatar is straight KILLIN IT|!

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    My mate once insisted that I'd take a bite of his WHO 45 and I did... he thought it was very fun until I told him it was a good one