NFL TALK- This is what it is for 2005, batches...

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
The first football Sunday of a new season... been waiting for today ever since last February. A lot of folls are optimistic that their team can make it to Detroit for Super Bowl XL, but here's what it really is-AFC[/b]NEW ENGLAND- I figured this year would be the year that the Pats would finally fall off. Judging by the ass whuppin' they put on Oakland on Thursday night, these dudes haven't lost a thing. All NFL teams better beware- unless Brady goes down with a season ending injury (which probably won't happen beccause nobody can get to this guy enough, and that's the only way to beat these folls) the Pats are gonna be hard to beat. Again.J-E-T-S- People have been picking them to get past NE this year and actually win the AFC East outright. Sorry Sween, but it's not gonna happen, as much as I'd like it to. I always liked Pennington, but from what I saw in the preseason the boy is mad BUFFALO- I like this team, but I don't think that J.P. Losman is ready for prime-time. He'd have to have a Roethlisberger-type season... virtually impossible that something like that's gonna happen again.PITTSBURGH- I can't see Big Ben having another season like last year. I think defensive coordinators had him figured out by late last season, and unless the running game is as good as it was early last year, he's gonna struggle. BALTIMORE- Similar to Buffalo, the team looks solid EXCEPT for the qb position. Kyle Boller is GAABAGE. Get up in his world a few times and that bitch will not want to play anymore.CINCINNATI- Could be 10-6, could be 6-10. A lot of AFC teams fall into this category, just because there are a lot of decent-to-very good teams in that conference, and they have no choice but to beat each other up.INDIANAPOLIS- My choice to win the AFC, because they finally seem to have improved their defense. And I figure Peyton Manning is due to get to the Super Bowl eventually. But, man... from what I saw of the Pats on Thursday, if they gotta go through New England again I still don't think the Colts can do it.JACKSONVILLE- They'll win some games, but they still ain't ready to stomp with the big dawgs.SAN DIEGO- They were one of my picks to possibly challenge for the AFC title until I saw their schedule- they call it murrrrdah. They'll win a lot of games, but too many killer road games will take a toll on them.KANSAS CITY- Another team that beefed up their D. This is my sleeper pick to do big things this season.OAKLAND- I was not impressed by the new-look Raiders last Thursday. They will win some, they will lose some- basically a non-factor.NFC[/b]PHILADELPHIA- Loaded on both sides of the ball. I'm telling you, this team is gonna be a major problem for the whole NFL. Now that T.O. and McNabb have seemingly kissed and made up , only major injury issues can stop the Eagles from taking that Lombardi trophy this season.DALLAS- Will be better than last year, but if people think Drew Bledsoe is the answer then they're in for a rude awakening.NY GIANTS- No.MINNESOTA- Yet another offensive juggernaut that has finally fixed some of their problems on D. I just don't think that their coach is good enough to get them past any of the elite teams.DETROIT- I want to see them do better this season, but I have my doubts. If Joey Harrington doesn't have a big year with all the weapons he has on offense then he can't be back next season.GREEN BAY- If not for that Favre magic I would rate this tean among one of the NFL's worst. They'll have some success, but I'll be surprised if they make the playoffs again.CAROLINA- The biggest threat to Philly in the NFC, or so the pundits say. Somehow I doubt that they're really gonna have that great of a season. I won't be shocked if Atlanta beats them out in their division.ATLANTA- As long as Ron Mexico (aka Mike Vick) is healthy they are a threat to everyone in the NFC except the Eagles. BTW, the Eagles are gonna make a statement on Monday night and DOMINATE the Falcons... it might get pretty ugly, actually.ST. LOUIS- Mediocre.SEATTLE- See St. Louis (sorry Wizzle).ARIZONA- My NFC sleeper pick, but it all depends on if Kurt Warner is truly washed up or not. I just have a lot of faith in Denny Greene to turn this pitiful franchise around sooner or later.All teams not named are of no consequence to anything that will happen this year, although I will root for the Saints anyway. NFC DIVISION CHAMPS-[/b] Philly, Minnesota, Carolina, ArizonaNFC WILD CARDS-[/b] Atlanta and either St. Louis or Dallas... I guessAFC DIVISION CHAMPS-[/b] New England, Pittsburgh (I would've picked B-more but that qb is gonna kill them), Indianapolis, Kansas CityAFC WILD CARDS-[/b] Jets, San DiegoSUPER BOWL-[/b] I'm predicting that somebody's gonna shock New England in the playoffs and Indy is not gonna have to deal with them, so the road will finally be clear for the Colts to make it to the Bowl. Philly has the NFC on LOCK, it's not even a contest. So who wins between Indianapolis and Philly? To be honest I think the Colts are the worst match-up for the Eagles- I can see Manning eating them up in a bad way. Regardless I gotta go with my Philly dawgs, but with more than a little trepidation. If anybody else other than Indy in the AFC makes it to the Bowl, Philly wins it, no question- even if it's a rematch with New England. ESPECIALLY if it's a rematch with New England.

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Now here's the major question - who should we bet on today? Its the 1st week & spreads are hella low.

• Now here's the major question - who should we bet on today? Its the 1st week & spreads are hella low.

I don't get into the gambling or fantasy leagues and all that. It's all about the sport for me, hommie. Although I think the line is crazy low for the Philly / Atlanta game Monday night... I say bet Philly all the way. And whoever's playing against San Francisco, bet on them, too.

• We are mediocre son. Its pretty much the same story every year for this pathetic ass team. I'm tryin to lower my expectations so maybe these clowns will suprise me. After watching Cal dust off the Huskies yesterday we need something good to happen.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    We are mediocre son. Its pretty much the same story every year for this pathetic ass team. I'm tryin to lower my expectations so maybe these clowns will suprise me. After watching Cal dust off the Huskies yesterday we need something good to happen.

at least yall open against the mad jacksonville.

• Options
    J-E-T-S- People have been picking them to get past NE this year and actually win the AFC East outright. Sorry Sween, but it's not gonna happen,

You're out of your mind. Our punter is 6'5" hommie, that's how stacked we are. And if Pennington goes down again we got the best backup in the league in Fieldler (Long Island stand up). Coles is back, Chrebet is healthy and has an increased role in the new Hermdinger offense, and how you gonna deny having Curtis back there??? PLUS, Blaylock stepping in as a back up to Curits?? Dude didn't see the ball in KC because he was behind Holmes; he'll look better as a backup than Jordan did last year. Don't get me started on Vilma, Abraham, Ellis, and TY LAW hommie. Biggest loss for the Jets was Kareem McKenzie. Our new kicker is nasty also, hits 50's like it's nothing and played big game cold weather football for Ohio State.

We'll be right in there and I'll be talking to you in January about a Philly-NY wager of raer.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    We'll be right in there and I'll be talking to you in January about a Philly-NY wager of raer.

Count me in.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Count me in.

Not so fast, boys - not so fast.

Btw, the Pats weren't quite so dominant against Oaktown the other night - there were more than a few "red flags" going up in that game...but I am still confident we will be right there in January, provided most key members stay healthy.
    I realize people are sick of the Pats, and want some new blood in there, but as a lifelong (and long suffering!) fan, I'm down for them to just keep winning it all for as long as they want...

• Options
    Btw, the Pats weren't quite so dominant against Oaktown the other night - there were more than a few "red flags" going up in that game

I agree, against the Raider's shoddy defense pats should have put up more than 30.

• Options
    I made out like a bandit last year on Pro Line (won 2 multi-thousand dollar tickets!), lets see how this year starts...

K in Canada.

• Not so fast, boys - not so fast.

Btw, the Pats weren't quite so dominant against Oaktown the other night - there were more than a few "red flags" going up in that game...but I am still confident we will be right there in January, provided most key members stay healthy.
    I realize people are sick of the Pats, and want some new blood in there, but as a lifelong (and long suffering!) fan, I'm down for them to just keep winning it all for as long as they want...

Looked like the same Pats to me. They always look like they're gonna be able to be taken, then they just impose their will on a team and by early 3rd quarter it's clear to everybody that their opponent does not stand a chance. It happened in the Super Bowl against the Eagles, and it happened in the opener against Oakland. NE is well coached and they know how to make adjustments when a team is taking it to them. I'm really beginning to look at this team as the best ever- not that they're a juggernaut that beats everybody 44-3, but just a juggernaut that beats everybody. If they win it again this year I think you gotta call them the best ever- to be this good for this long in the era of free agency / salary cap is incredible.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Kyle isn't nearly as bad as everyone says. I went to the Cowboys game last year. When, they let him open it up in the second half, he fucking punked them. I think the major problem isn't Boller but an unimaginative offensive scheme. With the ddition of Mason, I think we have a great shot to win the division. I'll be at the Pittsburgh game in November. Can't f-ing wait.

• debardebar 215 Posts

KANSAS CITY- Another team that beefed up their D. This is my sleeper pick to do big things this season.

Derrick Johnson is gonna be rookie of the year, and this D will surprise people. And Larry Johnson will be a star by this time next year.

• KANSAS CITY- Another team that beefed up their D. This is my sleeper pick to do big things this season.

Derrick Johnson is gonna be rookie of the year, and this D will surprise people. And Larry Johnson will be a star by this time next year.

They sure as hell are puttin' it on the J-E-T-S in the 1st half today (sorry Sween).
    Scanning the games so far today, two players I noticed look like monsters- the aforementioned Larry Johnson and my man Soma's boy Willie Parker for the Steelers. Denver looks like dog doo. JP Losman has actually looked aight for Buffalo. Carolina and Minnesota look very underwhelming (and these are the Eagles' biggest threats in the NFC??? HA!). Somebody on the Bears clotheslined the SHIT out of Washington's Patrick Ramsey.

Football is back. I am happy.

• I agree with most of these.....don't really know about the Panthers either....Jake Delhomme looks really out of control today. I'm picking the Colts to win the superbowl and they probably will be playing the Eagles......

• my man Soma's boy Willie Parker for the Steelers.

I remember him from his high school days in southeastern NC.....I'm happy to see him running all over the Titans!!

• Options
    They sure as hell are puttin' it on the J-E-T-S in the 1st half today (sorry Sween).

Sweet jesus, what the hell happened out there? Glad I didn't see that. Oooph.

• PITTSBURGH- I can't see Big Ben having another season like last year. I think defensive coordinators had him figured out by late last season, and unless the running game is as good as it was early last year, he's gonna struggle.

STEELERRRRS batches!!! Big Ben w/ a perfect rating for game 1 and Willie PArker running

ALL

OVER

the place. can you say running game way better[/b] than last year?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

PITTSBURGH- I can't see Big Ben having another season like last year. I think defensive coordinators had him figured out by late last season, and unless the running game is as good as it was early last year, he's gonna struggle.

STEELERRRRS batches!!! Big Ben w/ a perfect rating for game 1 and Willie PArker running

ALL

OVER

the place. can you say running game way better[/b] than last year?

I mean, let's see how they do against a real team next week, but sayin...

• Kyle isn't nearly as bad as everyone says. I went to the Cowboys game last year. When, they let him open it up in the second half, he fucking punked them. I think the major problem isn't Boller but an unimaginative offensive scheme. With the ddition of Mason, I think we have a great shot to win the division. I'll be at the Pittsburgh game in November. Can't f-ing wait.

we'll see. i'm not a Boller fan....not at all. I've seen too many balls thrown out of the receivers reach or at their feet to like dude. Wright should be starting...no question. THE WORLD CAN SEE THAT... but hopefully Kyle can do something to not fuck up. our defense is the solid part of our team....and tonights game will be interesting with the number one offense going up against the ravens defense....Peyton Manning throwing against this man ed reed ..Edgerrin James going against Ray Lewis

it will be very interesting.

i want another one of these though..., but i don't see it happening with Boller at QB

• can't believe kyle boller is still the qb at baltimore. that guy really sucks.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    The first football Sunday of a new season... been waiting for today ever since last February. A lot of folls are optimistic that their team can make it to Detroit for Super Bowl XL, but here's what it really is-

DALLAS- Will be better than last year, but if people think Drew Bledsoe is the answer then they're in for a rude awakening.[/b]

Hey Phill,

I don't like how you mushed my 'boys (even though it's true ). I'm trying to be hopeful, but We need to make some power moves in the front office and get some damn personnel!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    can't believe kyle boller is still the qb at baltimore. that guy really sucks.

Yeah, Kyle Boller is rectal!!! Gus Frerotte style!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Count me in.

Not so fast, boys - not so fast.

amen brother. amen.

• GO BROWNS!

I know... not a chance in hell. But what can i say the whole fam is originally from Cleveland. Sorry showing today against the bengals...

• The first football Sunday of a new season... been waiting for today ever since last February. A lot of folls are optimistic that their team can make it to Detroit for Super Bowl XL, but here's what it really is-

DALLAS- Will be better than last year, but if people think Drew Bledsoe is the answer then they're in for a rude awakening.[/b]

Hey Phill,

I don't like how you mushed my 'boys (even though it's true ). I'm trying to be hopeful, but We need to make some power moves in the front office and get some damn personnel!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

A Cowboy fan... those are bad words around here, mane. If you ever come to Philly be sure to never wear any Cowboys gear or you may get trash thrown at you by insane Eagles fans (and we are ALL insane!)
    Nah, but for real... your 'Boys are not garbage, not at all. They are on the come up. Nice players on defense (and some REAL nice rookies, from what I'm hearing), a good set of receivers and that kid Julius Jones is an ANIMAL. Bledsoe still can throw it a little bit, too. But his lack of mobility is gonna be a serious liability when his receivers are covered- I'm seeing that already in the 4th quarter of their game today. It's gonna lead to critical sacks and turnovers that will keep that team from being better than it could be. That's how it was for Drew in New England and Buffalo, and it'll be no better in Dallas. Keep the faith, though...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I can't believe buffalo's offensive line is holding up.......if this pattern keeps up it'll be a good season for them. It's been their achilles heel for close to 10 yrs now.

best d + best special teams..........the o just has to be decent instead of atrocious in past years. NO PICKS!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm picking the Colts to win the superbowl

Not if they have to beat the Pats to get there - Peyton Manning has Jedi-esque nightmares about this dude:

"Peyton...Peyton...all of our cornerbacks are now your wide recievers...throw to them...THROW TO THEM..."[/b]

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    well fuck a duck. 24-7 at home. Boller got fucked by his receivers and the defenses lapses. It's gonna be a long one I can already tell.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Ed's Power(s) rankings:

1)Pittsburgh

2)kansas city....this is K.C's year

3)indy....finally some balance..Freeney: the man..Peyton: best since Elway

4)new england

5)tampa bay...Tampa is back

6)THE MIAMI MUTHAFUKIN' DOLPHINS FOLLS[/b]

7)dallas...it's Parcells' team now

8)jacksonville

9)buffalo....watch the bills

10)cincinnati

11)ny giants

12)san diego

13)detroit

14)new orleans

15)oakland....VS new england,kansas city then philly... YIKES 0-3

16)seattle...Holmgren must go

17)minnesota...OVERRATED

18)baltimore....greatest D ever...worst offense ever

19)carolina

20)san francisco

21)st louis....suspect D

22)wash...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

23)arizona

24)denver

25)ny jets

26)tennesee

27)green bay.....goodbye Bret

28)cleveland

29)houston

30)chicago

philly N/A

atlanta N/A

• Ed's Power(s) rankings:

1)Pittsburgh
    2)kansas city....this is K.C's year
    3)indy....finally some balance..Freeney: the man..Peyton: best since Elway
    4)new england
    5)tampa bay...Tampa is back
    6)THE MIAMI MUTHAFUKIN' DOLPHINS FOLLS[/b]
    7)dallas...it's Parcells' team now
    8)jacksonville
    9)buffalo....watch the bills
    10)cincinnati
    11)ny giants
    12)san diego
    13)detroit
    14)new orleans
    15)oakland....VS new england,kansas city then philly... YIKES 0-3
    16)seattle...Holmgren must go
    17)minnesota...OVERRATED
    18)baltimore....greatest D ever...worst offense ever
    19)carolina
    20)san francisco
    21)st louis....suspect D
    22)wash...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    23)arizona
    24)denver
    25)ny jets
    26)tennesee
    27)green bay.....goodbye Bret
    28)cleveland
    29)houston
    30)chicago

You must boost the Eagles up higher on that list.