suggest a movie

2»

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Argentina - director Lucretia Martel

'La Cienaga' - her debut, stamped her reputation - caustic observation about the bourgeois class in Buenos Aires, reminiscent of Bunuel's social commentary in that respect...

Co-

- spidey

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I just saw "In The Bedroom." I was putting it off, thinking that (due to the title) it was some intelligent but boring Sexual Politics Drama (read: Bergman rip-off). My girlfriend wanted to see it, though, and we did tonight.

If you have the resolve and (I in no way mean this as an insult) attention span to see a near-perfect film unfold slowly, this is it. It's not a "Psychological Movie" or a "Taut Thriller" or "Adult Drama" or an "Intrigue Piece." It's really all of the above without TRYING to be one. It's not about some climactic ending or tricky plot twists or forced, obligtory love scenes or staged straw man moral dilemmas or jump scenes or Demeaning Gimmicks. It's just a great film with stunning acting and directorial nuances that aren't forced with Artsy Camera Angles. One of the most subtle, honest films I've seen in a long fucking time. Thank God.

Just see it, if you haven't already. Five fucking stars.

• Taxi Driver
    One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest
    Mean Girls[/b]
    Ran
    Iron Monkey
    Urotsukidoji: Legend Of The Overfiend
    Spirited Away
    Dreadnaught

one of these does not belong

no mean girls? i mean, this film is an insightful social commentary touching on the politics of class, gender, race, and lindsay lohan got big boobies.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I just saw "In The Bedroom." I was putting it off, thinking that (due to the title) it was some intelligent but boring Sexual Politics Drama (read: Bergman rip-off). My girlfriend wanted to see it, though, and we did tonight.

If you have the resolve and (I in no way mean this as an insult) attention span to see a near-perfect film unfold slowly, this is it. It's not a "Psychological Movie" or a "Taut Thriller" or "Adult Drama" or an "Intrigue Piece." It's really all of the above without TRYING to be one. It's not about some climactic ending or tricky plot twists or forced, obligtory love scenes or staged straw man moral dilemmas or jump scenes or Demeaning Gimmicks. It's just a great film with stunning acting and directorial nuances that aren't forced with Artsy Camera Angles. One of the most subtle, honest films I've seen in a long fucking time. Thank God.

Just see it, if you haven't already. Five fucking stars.

I've heard nothing but good things about this movie without actually seeing it, for the very same reasons you point out. This is the best review I've heard yet. You convinced me. It's on my must-see list now,

• Taxi Driver
    Mean Girls[/b]
    Ran
    Iron Monkey
    Spirited Away
    Dreadnaught

no mean girls? i mean, this film is an insightful social commentary touching on the politics of class, gender, race, and lindsay lohan had big boobies.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Taxi Driver
    Mean Girls[/b]
    Ran
    Iron Monkey
    Spirited Away
    Dreadnaught

no mean girls? i mean, this film is an insightful social commentary touching on the politics of class, gender, race, and lindsay lohan had big boobies.

i like that part where they've got lunch meat on their faces. that's cinema.

• Taxi Driver
    Mean Girls[/b]
    Ran
    Iron Monkey
    Spirited Away
    Dreadnaught

i like that part where they've got lunch meat on their faces. that's cinema.

oh yeah, the self-reflexive nature of that scene brilliantly references another cinematic classic, goonies. im telling you, this film was great!

• Taxi Driver
    Mean Girls[/b]
    Ran
    Iron Monkey
    Spirited Away
    Dreadnaught

no mean girls? i mean, this film is an insightful social commentary touching on the politics of class, gender, race, and lindsay lohan got big boobies.

that alone qualifies it to stand next to those titles.

• my netflix queue is looking most unappealing.

i know i can count on the strut to recommend something tasty...

What's your email? I'll add you as one of my Netflix friends.

• Nattevagten

Ole Bornedal, holla!

add:

Pusher 1

Pusher 2

Pusher 3

by Nicholas Winding Refn

Pusher is one of my favorites films. Haven't seen the followups though. They're not on region 1 DVD as far as I know. I'm also eager to get La Haine on DVD but I don't see a region 1 version of that ever coming out

Nattevagten

Ole Bornedal, holla!

add:

Pusher 1
    Pusher 2
    Pusher 3

by Nicholas Winding Refn

Pusher is one of my favorites films. Haven't seen the followups though. They're not on region 1 DVD as far as I know. I'm also eager to get La Haine on DVD but I don't see a region 1 version of that ever coming out

Hey, cool you've heard about Pusher in San Fransisco! #2 came out about 6 months ago and #3 just opened last week. I actually haven't seen #3 yet, I'm just a big fan of Refn (disregarding Fear X). I'm sure the sequels will come out on region 1 DVD eventually. Watch a trailer for #2 here and #3 here (sorry, no english subtitles). If you liked Pusher, you need to see his second movie Bleeder. It's really good as well, if not better. Kind of dismal and brutal but quiet and personal at the same time. Just the way I like it.

• Hey, cool you've heard about Pusher in San Fransisco! #2 came out about 6 months ago and #3 just opened last week. I actually haven't seen #3 yet, I'm just a big fan of Refn (disregarding Fear X). I'm sure the sequels will come out on region 1 DVD eventually. Watch a trailer for #2 here and #3 here (sorry, no english subtitles). If you liked Pusher, you need to see his second movie Bleeder. It's really good as well, if not better. Kind of dismal and brutal but quiet and personal at the same time. Just the way I like it.

Have had the Pusher DVD for years. I think I bought it like five years ago. I bought it before I moved out of my pops place and it's still at his house. I always forget to bring it with me when I visit his house.

I've heard of Bleeder. Isn't that Pusher 2 or is Pusher 2 a completely different film?

• Most gripping movie I have seen in a long time:

"Downfall"

In 2002, the gripping documentary Blind Spot: Hitler's Secretary, introduced audiences to the German dictator's stenographer, Traudl Junge, by letting her tell her own story. Now director Oliver Hirschbiegel brings Junge to life in the form of actress Alexandra Maria Lara, who stars in this Oscar-nominated drama. Painstakingly realistic, Downfall takes Junge's point of view to recreate Hitler's (Bruno Ganz) last days in his Berlin bunker.

• movies that i've really enjoyed lately:

kurasawa film called "Rashaman". great murder suspense story. (though 7 samurai is still my favorite Kurasawa film yet).

Sin City. Though, gory as hell, twas very well done!

"Big Wednesday". Best surf "hollywood" film of all time. Hands down. No competition.

Hotel Rawanda. Holy shit. We all need to see this flick ASAP.

Red Dragon the prequel to Silence of the lambs. shit was dope!

hollur.

Hey, cool you've heard about Pusher in San Fransisco! #2 came out about 6 months ago and #3 just opened last week. I actually haven't seen #3 yet, I'm just a big fan of Refn (disregarding Fear X). I'm sure the sequels will come out on region 1 DVD eventually. Watch a trailer for #2 here and #3 here (sorry, no english subtitles). If you liked Pusher, you need to see his second movie Bleeder. It's really good as well, if not better. Kind of dismal and brutal but quiet and personal at the same time. Just the way I like it.

Have had the Pusher DVD for years. I think I bought it like five years ago. I bought it before I moved out of my pops place and it's still at his house. I always forget to bring it with me when I visit his house.

I've heard of Bleeder. Isn't that Pusher 2 or is Pusher 2 a completely different film?

It's a completely different film. The confusion arises because Refn is using many of the same actors.

• autezautez 404 Posts

its about selling drugs. good music and put together well.