qbert ortofons....better then shure m44s?

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
The output on these is 11-12 mv, compared to shure's 9.5, and considering they are ortofons, i'm guessing the overall sound quality is pretty solid. Anyone have any experience with these?

Comments

• Ortonfons have always torn up my vinyl

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    really? I have the same problem with M447's. I scratch once and I get BAD BAD BAD cue burn. I hate those things.

My Ortofons have been dope as fuck, I might have to pick these ones up.

• really? I have the same problem with M447's. I scratch once and I get BAD BAD BAD cue burn. I hate those things.

I really don't believe that
    check your tonarm weight!

• That's a trip, we've had exactly OPPOSITE experiences...

When I first switched from stanton 5's to 447's I hated them, but now they are my friends.

• i have never liked the shure's either, but only used them cause of the high output. the qberts are selling for $99 per cartridge (om) and include an extra stylus. not bad.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    really? I have the same problem with M447's. I scratch once and I get BAD BAD BAD cue burn. I hate those things.

I really don't believe that
    check your tonarm weight!

believe it...and give me more credit than that...I've been doing this a lot of years.

It's probably alignment that's causing it, but I've tried all the different agles and have the same result. I prefer the ortofons WAY more. I've used those for about 7 years and I doubt I'll switch.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Anyone have positive experiences with the Ortofon Elektros? I believe those used to have the highest output.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    The output on these is 11-12 mv, compared to shure's 9.5, and considering they are ortofons, i'm guessing the overall sound quality is pretty solid. Anyone have any experience with these?

Qbert's really good at writing small

I bought Ortofons when they first came out. I loved em and they very rarely skipped, but, like PRo, they tore the shit out of all my lecols.
    I'd be interested in giving these a shot once I hear some feedback from other DJs.
    I heard this needle took 4 years to design and build. Qbert flew to Denmark to oversee production and all that. This shit better be good!

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Hey, Day,

For folks like me who don't scratch, those Ortofons are pretty good, right?

I've looked at specs for several needles and have settled on the mountable Ortofon Elektros because of output and needle diameter. You guys are starting to make me feel like I need to start looking all over again. Should this non-scratcher bother?

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I have had m44 and ortofons.... My ortofons had nice output and never skipped but they did eat myy vinyl up like crazy... I am anxious to hear some feedback on these things.. I really like my m44's but I would switch to Ortofon if they didn't burn my recs up

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I recently switched from stanton's to 447's and I hate them.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Hey, Day,

For folks like me who don't scratch, those Ortofons are pretty good, right?

I've looked at specs for several needles and have settled on the mountable Ortofon Elektros because of output and needle diameter. You guys are starting to make me feel like I need to start looking all over again. Should this non-scratcher bother?

Ortofon's are good needles (some say the best, sound quality-wise) and if you're not doing much back queing they should be fine for general record listening.
    I would definitely adjust your tone arm to a lighter weight though, just to be on the safe side.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    The Ortofons that mount on the Technics shells are way easier on your vinyl, cheaper, and if the contacts on the headshell get bad you don't have to replace the whole thing. My beef with Shures is that they are so fragile. You have to be really careful with them when you are mounting them and putting them away or the needle gets bent.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The Ortofons that mount on the Technics shells are way easier on your vinyl, cheaper, and if the contacts on the headshell get bad you don't have to replace the whole thing. My beef with Shures is that they are so fragile. You have to be really careful with them when you are mounting them and putting them away or the needle gets bent.

yep...

I personally can't stand any shures. I still have the SC35C's & 2 sets of the 447's and I hate them both. For overall reliability and sound quality/output, Ortofons do it for me.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Ortofon's are good needles (some say the best, sound quality-wise) and if you're not doing much back queing they should be fine for general record listening.
    I would definitely adjust your tone arm to a lighter weight though, just to be on the safe side.

How true! I was spinning my records backwards when doing a radio show. I never do that at home. I don't scratch or spin my records. But that backspinning at the radio station (they got Ortofons) really DESTROYED my records. One 45 is totally broke at the beginning. Right where I spun it. Be careful with Ortofons. I adjust my tone arm to super super light weight at home.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I've been using Ortofon for at least 8 years and I really like them. I've never had any problem with tearing up records. I do a lot of scratching and I haven't felt they do any extra damage.

How much are these? Do you have to get a whole new headshell too, or will the needle head fit on the standard ortofon headshell?

If your not scratching I recomend the Ortofon Night Club. This has really high sound quality. It's also about $75 bucks so I wouldn't scratch with this. They also make a Scratch needle that I've been using for a while and I like it as well. Not as high on the sound quality but they take a beating.

• Weird...I love my Shuree M44-7s, but I have never owned a pair of ortofon partly because the price and the wear i've heard they cause.
    If your shures are eating your records, you have something set up wrong..must be the angle who have them set at.

I know some people on here have the Shure Whitelables...how have they held up?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

I know some people on here have the Shure Whitelables...how have they held up?

i've had those for over a year now... killer cart in my mind.

i aint no turntablist though.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Ortofon
    CC Qbert
    w/ extra stylus + case
    price: $165.00[/b]
    available: yes
    item #: cr-050

FOR 1 NEEDLE.

Are they out of their fucking minds?

• I know some people on here have the Shure Whitelables...how have they held up?

i've had those for over a year now... killer cart in my mind.

i aint no turntablist though.

word my housemate has those.. i was a bit blah about them being better than the m447 but they do hold vinyl a lot better.. but the price puts me off, id rather have the 447 and learn to control my record hand rather than spend more money just for the sake of being able to scratch with my viggor

• Ortofon
    CC Qbert
    w/ extra stylus + case

FOR 1 NEEDLE.

Djdeals.com has them for $149 and the om's for $99. Has anyone used these yet?

• am I the last club dude to still rock stanton 500's?

• Nah, there's two of us

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Ortofon
    CC Qbert
    w/ extra stylus + case

FOR 1 NEEDLE.

Djdeals.com has them for $149 and the om's for $99. Has anyone used these yet?

That actually looks like the head shell and 2 needles. I know that's how I originally bought mine. You get the case that holds the head shell and 2 needle heads (or stylus).