Dorando Didn’t I

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited September 2005 in Music Talk
just heard this for the first time. My face is lying on the floor after having melted off completely...Somebody needs to make this available to a wider audience!(lotusland perhaps?)thats all.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    PLEASE.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    great song

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    just heard this for the first time. My face is lying on the floor after having melted off completely...

Somebody needs to make this available to a wider audience!

(lotusland perhaps?)

thats all.

If I recall correctly (and this is never a surety), Jinx was working on releasing a 6-track EP of his as-complete-as-possible work. Also, this:

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    ...just wait...

ps: think january...

pss: then think Bay Area Funk Pt 2...

then:

now:

• Awesome. 45 sampler please!

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Just in case anyone else wants to hear it, this is it (thanks to we_eat_trains).

• First time I heard that was from a Gilles Peterson show I taped, I stopped the car and listened to it 5,6 times then again as soon as then when I picked up the wife.

Its one of the most beautiful records I've heard, deep as fuck and I'd like to think that the dude was singing from experience....

$103 seems a good price to me.

• Options

I thought that was cheap seeing how many are asking for it. Looks like some need to keep their saved search game tighter.

K.

I thought that was cheap seeing how many are asking for it. Looks like some need to keep their saved search game tighter.

K.

i had three i turned for $200 each...

anyway, if anyone comes across a copy of the white labeled one with Ray Dobards name on it thats an extra for you please let me know. i have the other three labels but need that one for completion purposes.

thanks!

• Yep kicking myself.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Damn i been waitin for the price to go down a bit, after not budgin past ??40 and wanting a real good condition one for a year or so... looks like its only gonna get more and more popular and eventually i'll have too cough up proper

• Damn this is getting a lot of attention lately! I've been lucky enough to hear that EP, the shit is

All Bay All Day!

• anyway, if anyone comes across a copy of the white labeled one with Ray Dobards name on it thats an extra for you please let me know. i have the other three labels so I'm putting them up as Heatrocks[/b].

thanks!

holler.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Looks like Ubiquity Records will preempt itself before 'Bay Area Funk Volume 2' come November 8th - it's track 1 on Gilles Peterson's comp: 'Gilles Peterson Digs America'...

Looks like Ubiquity Records will preempt itself before 'Bay Area Funk Volume 2' come November 8th - it's track 1 on Gilles Peterson's comp: 'Gilles Peterson Digs America'...

yeah he used two Bay records that i know of so far... the ones they used for the recordings (as far as i was told) are from me. the Dorando and the Lonnie Hewitt.

...and maybe i was wrong on the release month but i mentioned this in a previous post in this thread... the new tracks are pretty nice. my opinion: the releases he had are the ones that were the best. however there are first takes on the Legs/Let my people tunes that are pretty dope. meeting up with Dorando this week to do a follow up interview for the album. should be good.

• Hey, let me know if you need a gaffer homie.

• the new tracks are pretty nice. my opinion: the releases he had are the ones that were the best. however there are first takes on the Legs/Let my people tunes that are pretty dope.

I can vouch for this. A couple of the unreleased sides are pretty amazing and, to me, better than some of the stuff that came out (e.g., the Ocampo 45).

J, thanks so much for bringing this music and Dorando's story to light. Now if only you could get him to talk about his wild years....

the new tracks are pretty nice. my opinion: the releases he had are the ones that were the best. however there are first takes on the Legs/Let my people tunes that are pretty dope.

I can vouch for this. A couple of the unreleased sides are pretty amazing and, to me, better than some of the stuff that came out (e.g., the Ocampo 45).

J, thanks so much for bringing this music and Dorando's story to light. Now if only you could get him to talk about his wild years....

no doubt! cats gotta hear this shit...

i think i can get him to open up once hes away from his home and his wife.. get a couple of drinks down his throat and we'll see what happens...

• Somebody needs to make this available to a wider audience!

Tracklisting

1. Dorando - Didn???t I
    2. Moses Dillard - Tribute To Wes
    3. Marva Josie - He Does It Better
    4. Lonnie Hewlett And The Little Sisters & Co. - Ya Ya Cha Cha
    5. Jon Lucien - Search For The Inner Self
    6. Bobby Cole - A Perfect Day
    7. Baaska & Scavelli - Get Off The Ground
    8. Ellen McIlwaine - Higher Ground
    9. Caroline Peyton - Just As We
    10. Bob Cunningham - Lover???s Theme
    11. Ira Sullivan - The Kingdom Within You
    12. JR Bailey - Just Me???N???You
    13. The World Experience Orchestra - The Prayer
    14. Harold McKinney - Ode To Africa
    15. 47 x It's Own Weight -March of the Goober Woobers
    16. The Ensemble Al Salaam - Circles

hopefully they spelled Hewitt correctly on the record and didnt spell it Hewlett

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

i think i can get him to open up once hes away from his home and his wife.. get a couple of drinks down his throat and we'll see what happens...

a yo?!

really though, that sounds like an incredible interview. J- i'm hoping you'll regale us with detailed stories.