Galaxy 45s

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
this label, as far as i know, is so unfuckwithable. i only have about 10 of the 45s, but every single one of them cannot be touched. how old is this label? what year did they switch from the green label to the yellow/blue label? anyone have a discography of singles?listening to little johhny taylor "my heart is filled with pain" right now.

Comments

• this label, as far as i know, is so unfuckwithable. i only have about 10 of the 45s, but every single one of them cannot be touched. how old is this label? what year did they switch from the green label to the yellow/blue label? anyone have a discography of singles?

listening to little johhny taylor "my heart is filled with pain" right now.

Not 100% sure but I believe that the label dates to the early 60's, and the switch to the blue and yellow label is around 68-69.

Someone else here must have more accurate info...

• this label, as far as i know, is so unfuckwithable. i only have about 10 of the 45s, but every single one of them cannot be touched. how old is this label? what year did they switch from the green label to the yellow/blue label? anyone have a discography of singles?

listening to little johhny taylor "my heart is filled with pain" right now.

Not 100% sure but I believe that the label dates to the early 60's, and the switch to the blue and yellow label is around 68-69.

Someone else here must have more accurate info...

That sounds about right to me. Galaxy's parent label, Fantasy, switched to this mod-looking red-and-green label for the 45's right when Creedence Clearwater Revival had their first hit (1968), so it follows that Galaxy would adopt a similar label around the same time.

Fantasy revived Galaxy as a jazz label later.

I'll rap about Galaxy later (I love this company too, but I'm about to go to lunch), but Specialty Records has two compilations devoted to the Galaxy label. Bad Bad Whiskey is the better of the two.

• YES!

Ray Shanklin is one of my ALL TIME favorite producers/arrangers.
    And Little Johnny Taylor is straight

• The Right Kind's "Tell Me Why You Have To Lie" is on the money, as is Roger Collins'"You're Looking Good."

• YES!

A friend of mine has the discography up here: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~shante1969/galaxycat.htm

My favorites are:

Lenny Williams: Feelin' Blue (facemelting Creedence cover)
    Sam Campbell: Hey Ya La Ya (the most N.O.-sounding record that's not from N.O. that I can think of)
    Bobby Eaton: Fever Fever Fever
    Bobby Rush: Chicken Heads?Mary Jane

but there's way too many I ain't heard.

• Surprisingly good: blues balladeer Charles Brown's remake of "Abraham, Martin & John."

Galaxy also released a pretty good self-titled John Lee Hooker album.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    YES!

A friend of mine has the discography up here: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~shante1969/galaxycat.htm

My favorites are:

Sam Campbell: Hey Ya La Ya (the most N.O.-sounding record that's not from N.O. that I can think of)

thanks for posting the discography. i have a john lee hooker 45 that must be from that s/t lp that was mentioned. it's not on that discography, so it must be one of the n/a's. when i get home i'll post the titles and number so your friend can fill it in.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    faves:

right kind
    merced blue notes
    merl saunders
    little ronnie & the chromatics
    rodger collins
    bobby eaton

and my number one:

debonaires

• and my number one:

debonaires

I'm inviting myself over for a listening party.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    just picked up the "Foxy Girls In Oakland" 45 a couple days ago.
    I'll have to play that joint this weekend

• Some of the titles from that discography are insane. If you saw "A Genius Is A Rare Thing, Jones," "Thrifty Mart" (by Good Time Charlie!), or "Lay Up In Bed And Read" in a thrift store, and had nothing to go on but the title, don't stand there and tell me you wouldn't buy it - tell the truth!

• Some of the titles from that discography are insane. If you saw "A Genius Is A Rare Thing, Jones," "Thrifty Mart" (by Good Time Charlie!), or "Lay Up In Bed And Read" in a thrift store, and had nothing to go on but the title, don't stand there and tell me you wouldn't buy it - tell the truth!

My fave is "When You Find a Fool, Bump His Head' by Bill Coday...

"Zig-Zag Lightning" by Little Johnnie Taylor!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

and my number one:

debonaires

I'm inviting myself over for a listening party.

dude invite yourself over any day... just holler at me beforehand. next week monday and wednesday im busy... any other day of the week im good.

• I think I like just about every Lil' Johnny Taylor on Galaxy but "LOOKING AT THE FUTURE" is

• just picked up the "Foxy Girls In Oakland" 45 a couple days ago.

Jinx GAVE me that record (APPRECIATE HIM, BITCHES) and I played it at my own wedding to great effect. What a killer song.

• just picked up the "Foxy Girls In Oakland" 45 a couple days ago.

Jinx GAVE me that record (APPRECIATE HIM, BITCHES) and I played it at my own wedding to great effect. What a killer song.

"Makes me so happy, wanna slap my pappy! Yodel-lay-hee-hee!" Love this ridiculous record. "Get Away From Me," also by Rodger Collins, is a winner as well.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    YES!

My favorites are:

thanks for posting the discography. i have a john lee hooker 45 that must be from that s/t lp that was mentioned. it's not on that discography, so it must be one of the n/a's. when i get home i'll post the titles and number so your friend can fill it in.

that john lee hooker 45 i have is:

"you gotta shake it up to go"/"i lost my job" galaxy 716

it's also fucking awesome. i'm starting to wonder if there's anything on this label that is not fucking awesome.

• that john lee hooker 45 i have is:

"you gotta shake it up to go"/"i lost my job" galaxy 716

it's also fucking awesome.

Yeah, both sides are on the JLH album I was referring to up above. "Shake It Up & Go" is in the same big-beat vein as "Boom Boom."

i'm starting to wonder if there's anything on this label that is not fucking awesome.

Well, most of that All Night Long They Play The Blues comp is kinda dull. The good Galaxy anthology (released on Specialty) is the one I mentioned a few posts back, Bad, Bad Whiskey (all hail the Merced Blue Notes!).

"Zig-Zag Lightning" by Little Johnnie Taylor!

yes yes yes

For some instro funk you can't miss with The Right Kind's "My Money Is Funny"

• Rodger Collins "shes lookin good"....sounds so good played loud as hell and heard with a belly full of whiskey, I just wish it was twice as long...

• For some instro funk you can't miss with The Right Kind's "My Money Is Funny"

One of my favorites, my copy is trashed but its still

• Rodger Collins "shes lookin good"....sounds so good played loud as hell and heard with a belly full of whiskey, I just wish it was twice as long...

.......same goes for his take of 'Direct me'. Nice 45.

• Rodger Collins "shes lookin good"....sounds so good played loud as hell

That booming bass! Even on CD reissues, you can hear it plain as day!

I just wish it was twice as long...

I'm glad it isn't, or else it would wear out its' welcome. Two-and-a-half minutes (or however long it is) is good enough!

• This thread prompted me to pick up BGP's "Get Your Lie Straight: Red-Hot Grooves from Galaxy Records, 1968-72." , unlike the other BGP comps I've heard-- really high quality throughout, a couple unissued rocks ("Try the Life," what what!), great pictures and liner notes from Alec Palao, who is dude as hell.

• man, hope dope would it be to sift through those tapes at Fantasy?

I wanna hear that comp!