HOLY FUCKING SHIT (new drug law related)

Rod_TorfulsonRod_Torfulson 464 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Republican Congressman James Sensenbrenner has launched his next assault on freedom. The full House Judiciary Committee is set to vote as early as next week on H.R. 1528, which creates a new group of mandatory miniumum penalties for non-violent drug offenses, including a five year penalty for passing a joint to someone who's been in drug treatment. That's right: Passing a joint to someone who used to be in drug treatment will land you in federal prison for a minimum of five years. The "Defending America's Most Vulnerable: Safe Access to Drug Treatment and Child Protection Act of 2005" (H.R. 1528) was introduced by House Judiciary Committee Chairman James Sensenbrenner (R-WI) on April 6, and it has already passed out of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security. We warned you about this bill last September. It's now coming home to roost. Please visit here to e-mail your U.S. representative and two U.S. senators today. Stop this bill in its tracks. Marijuana Policy Project reports: In addition to the shocking joint-passing provision described above,the bill would also create a 10-year mandatory minimum sentence for a first-time conviction of distributing a small amount of marijuana to a person under 18 years of age ... and a 10-year sentence for a second offense of distributing marijuana to a person under 21. By comparison, the average time served by convicted rapists in this country is about seven years. MPP does not condone the distribution of marijuana to minors, nor do we advocate the use of marijuana by people recovering from substance abuse problems. But we do believe that judges should have discretion to determine whether or not offenders in these circumstances deserve to be imprisoned for sentences as long as five or 10 years. If these mandatory minimum sentences are enacted, judges'hands will be tied. This bill has traction because it also contains a section that serves as the House Republican leadership's response to a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that made the Federal Sentencing Guidelines advisory, rather than mandatory.* The Republican leadership is highly motivated to pass this bill -- and with it, the harsh new penalties related to marijuana. The bill will now be debated and voted on by the full House Judiciary Committee and -- if the committee passes the bill -- the full House will then vote on it. Families Against Mandatory Minimums (FAMM) also has an action alert on this bill. Here are the gory details, courtesy of FAMM: * Makes the federal sentencing guidelines a system of mandatory minimum sentences through a "Booker-fix" provision. * Creates new mandatory minimums that further erode judicial discretion. * Eliminates the safety valve for low-level drug offenders. * Makes virtually every drug crime committed in urban areas subject to "drug free zone" penalties that carries a five-year mandatory minimum sentence. * Punishes defendants for the "relevant conduct" of co-conspirators that occurred BEFORE the defendant joined the conspiracy. As written, H.R. 1528 would: * Effectively make the federal sentencing guidelines a system of mandatory minimum sentences through a "Booker-fix" provision. This provision forbids judges from departing below the guideline sentence in all but a few cases. * Make the sale of any quantity of any controlled substance (including anything greater than five grams of marijuana) by a person older than 21 to a person younger than 18 subject to a ten-year federal mandatory minimum sentence. * Create a new three-year mandatory minimum for parents who witness or learn about drug trafficking activities, targeting or even near their children, if they do not report it to law enforcement authorities within 24 hours and do not provide full assistance investigating, apprehending, and prosecuting the offender. [/b] * Create a new 10-year mandatory minimum sentence for any parent committing a drug trafficking crime in or near the presence of their minor child. * Mandate life in prison for persons 21 years or older convicted a second time of distributing drugs to a person under 18 or convicted a first time after a felony drug conviction has become final. * Increase to five years the federal mandatory minimum sentence for the sale of a controlled substance within 1,000 feet of a school, college, public library, drug treatment facility (or any place where drug treatment, including classes, are held), or private or public daycare facilities - in short, almost anywhere in cities across the U.S. * Eliminate the federal "safety valve," granting it only when the government certifies that the defendant pled guilty to the most serious readily provable offense (the one that carries the longest sentence), and has "done everything possible to assist substantially in the investigation and prosecution of another person," and would prohibit the federal "safety-valve" in cases where drugs were distributed or possessed near a person under 18, where the defendant delayed his or her efforts to provide substantial assistance to the government, or provided false, misleading or incomplete information. This is absolutely sickening. As we said last week, Sensenbrenner is a one-man disaster for justice. He's been the driving force behind the Real ID Act and bills to strip judges of their discretion in sentencing and subpoena judges' records. In 2004, he wanted to add mandatory minimum penalties to non-violent drug offenses (one example: a five year mandatory minimum sentence for passing a joint to someone who had been in a treatment center.) Don't let him get away with it. http://talkleft.com/new_archives/010374.html

Comments

• Isn't Sensenbrenner one of the assholes who want to start criminal proceedings for "indecency" offenses???

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Yes!!!! Thank God that Congress is voting on stronger drug laws. That will keep more of those people in prison....just like the two registered sex offenders in Florida who each killed a young girl within the last freakin' month!!! What the hell is our government doing, and why do they keep getting voted into office?

• Options
    Haha.

K.

• Counting the days till I move to BC.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    In addition to the shocking joint-passing provision described above,the bill would also create a 10-year mandatory minimum sentence for a first-time conviction of distributing a small amount of marijuana to a person under 18 years of age ... and a 10-year sentence for a second offense of distributing marijuana to a person under 21. By comparison, the average time served by convicted rapists in this country is about seven years.

priorities priorities

• Options
    We seem to be going the other way - Gay Marriages, a quarter is basically legit, missile defence, nah!!!!!!, etc.

We fight with our fists, K.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    What the hell is our government doing, and why do they keep getting voted into office?

electronic voting machines maybe

http://www.blackboxvoting.org

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

We read Studio 1 matrix catalogues on the can[/b] , K.

• Options

vs.

????, K.

Guess where I'll be in a couple days?

• This is such bullshit. Our prisons are overcrowded as it is and our criminal justice system is overstretched and underfunded. Hmm...maybe we should save the time, money, and space for people who actually pose a threat to society?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

"Professor Laverty's teaching style produces students who are able to think for themselves and understand how to use concepts they learn in terms of real world application. This is, after all, what I came back to school for--not to learn how to parrot back information, but how to use business concepts so that I can make a significant contribution in my chosen career."--former student Amy Krismer.

• Options

"Professor Laverty's teaching style produces students who are able to think for themselves and understand how to use concepts they learn in terms of real world application. This is, after all, what I came back to school for--not to learn how to parrot back information, but how to use business concepts so that I can make a significant contribution in my chosen career."--former student Amy Krismer.

The real deal:

http://math.usask.ca/~laverty/

• Options
    Professor? I'm a bum.

K.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    yiyyeeee.... scary.

• In all seriousness a** I'd like to hear your take on this...

• damn...im just glad i live in Amsterdam

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    thats fucking retarded to the highest caliber.

Im pretty sure at this point that all us American Strutters will be posting from jail in a couple years time.

• Guess where I'll be in a couple days?

Now I got some federal type leverage to get K up offa all those rares...

K: "You want any of this" (holding Rasta sized jernt)

Sonic: "Uh no, man. I don't smoke. But I went to treatment once. NOW GIMME THAT UPSETTERS 45 OR I"M TELLING THE FEDS ON YOU!!!!! AND A DISCO DEVIL SHIRT TOO WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!"

For real though, that's some ill shit in that bill and I'm afraid we in the US are bound for more of it.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

who the fuck goes to drug treatment for pot anyways?

I mean please.

• who the fuck goes to drug treatment for pot anyways?

I mean please.

"I wonder if other 50 year old men live in their parents basement and obsessively watch Sar Trek?"

• who the fuck lets 3H herb him out for his equipment and sleeps underneath his ex-girlfriend fucking some other dude?

I mean please.

• Options

Sonic: "Uh no, man. I don't smoke. But I went to treatment once. NOW GIMME THAT UPSETTERS 45 OR I"M TELLING THE FEDS ON YOU!!!!! AND A DISCO DEVIL SHIRT TOO WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!"

For real though, that's some ill shit in that bill and I'm afraid we in the US are bound for more of it.

SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

That joint was less than a quarter. Ask Raj, err...maybe somoeone else.

K.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

yeah, I remember that place...vaguely. Someone in the American entourage mentioned something about King Tubby and the rest was a blur.

...still rockin' a Tibetan slingshot.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    who the fuck lets 3H herb him out for his equipment and sleeps underneath his ex-girlfriend fucking some other dude?

I mean please.

Uncalled for.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Can't you see that they are just doing this to distract us from the Michael Jackson trail and the selection of the new pope. Don't fall for it.

Dan

fuck this place for real man. too many assholes. Im sorry I came back.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    who the fuck lets 3H herb him out for his equipment and sleeps underneath his ex-girlfriend fucking some other dude?

I mean please.

wow, not that it matters, but I just lost a gang of respect for you homie. I'm with Herm on this one, uncalled for.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    what is this 3h shit?

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    who the fuck goes to drug treatment for pot anyways?

I actually had to go to Marijuana anonymous meetings after my DUI. No joke. It was pretty funny though. The MA people are much less strict about abstinence. Almost everyone had a relapse and I only went to six meetings.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    what is this 3h shit?

vs