video / dvd encoders - MAC

DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
finally got myself a DVD burner. sweet. already did a load of backups so now it's time for recreational pursuits.does anybody have a good app for converting file formats like avi, divx etc to .vob or a similar format that can be burned in toast?i can't seem to find anything.. and since almost all downloaded video ive got is avi this is prety shite.also looking for dvd ripper recomendtations. for educational purposes only of course.ive tried mac the ripper but it seems to create bad regions and then toast gets angry. additionally it makes a folder full of other files than just the .vob and these can't be burned in viedo mode in toast... im assuming i cant burn the disc as a data disc with these files and the vobs and then have the disc play in my dvd player correct???somebody wanna break down the key to mac dvd burning joy??

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    dude. I use Mac the RIpper, works everytime. Just as long as you have the Video_TS files you should be allright.

Use DVD1x to compress.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Try OSex for "backing up" your DVD's

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9830

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    converting from avi is a very time consuming process.........personally I would not even bother unless you have a super duper decked out g5. It takes way too long on my g4 733mhz.

Personally I use mac the ripper + dvd2onex to shrink down a file.

http://www.dvd2one.com/osxtoast.php

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    alrighty investigating some of these links.

all i want to do is be able to burn an avi file to a dvd and then watch on my dvd player this is impossible without laborious conversion???

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I used to do that myself. Instead I took apart my xbox, added a 250GB harddrive, a modchip, and run xbox media center. The xbox can now just play all of the media files I have over the network or from the hardrive and I don't have to bother doing any conversion or wasting CD's and DVD's.