Day-Trip(NY/NJ/CT Related)

oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I need to get out of the metropolitan area to check on some records. I'm really, really tired of seeing the same records at evry store and thrift shop. Is there anywhere close that I can see some different records?

Comments

• yes. there are many good day trips.

try this one in Garfield, NJ.

Platter World

Charlie is a real nice guy, but in bad health last time I saw him. call first.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    wow that place is still open? i went there a couple years ago and they said they were closing soon.

try music merchant in westwood, nj. i've scored some hip hop 's there

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    My girlffiends father told me about a spot on CITY ISLAND. This might be completley out of the area but for must Broolkyn/Manhattanites this is considered Country.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I need to get out of the metropolitan area to check on some records. I'm really, really tired of seeing the same records at evry store and thrift shop. Is there anywhere close that I can see some different records?

Tons of good day trips out there. But first... what do you mean the same records at every store? I can't think of any other place in the country that cycles through stock as quickly as NYC... you folks are seriously lucky up there.

On the CT side, there's a shop or two around East Haven/New Haven area... you can find the name of it easy through a search. Scored a handful of odd pieces there... but they can also lead you to a Saturday only shop about 19 miles off (maybe this one is the East Haven shop... a really nice old guy runs the store and he has tons of 45s. It was fun shopping there.

Also, you can always hit that wacko's shop in Bridgeport/Stratford... not sure if he's still there, and I'd frankly be surprised if he is, because that guy was truly the most difficult record dealer I've ever had to deal with... but there were some good records there and maybe you'll have some luck.

PM me if you need better details, i should have some notes somewhere at home.

good luck.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    My girlffiends father told me about a spot on CITY ISLAND. This might be completley out of the area but for must Broolkyn/Manhattanites this is considered Country.

Mooncurser.

Worth a visit if you've never been. Really a crazy shop. The owner, Roger, passed away about 7 or 8 months ago... but two of his helpers are keeping it going.

Don't expect to score anything amazing there, but worth it just to browse through their amazing selection of latin music. I can't think of too many stores who have more latin records than that one.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    wow that place is still open? i went there a couple years ago and they said they were closing soon.

thats what im sayin. they had an ad in my local paper saying that they were closing down this past januray 31st.

charlie is not a nice guy at all. i went there and got kicked out for no reason at all and this was an hour before closing. dude has problems.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

Mooncurser.

Worth a visit if you've never been. Really a crazy shop. The owner, Roger, passed away about 7 or 8 months ago... but two of his helpers are keeping it going.

Don't expect to score anything amazing there, but worth it just to browse through their amazing selection of latin music. I can't think of too many stores who have more latin records than that one.

wow, and I thought City Island was only good for $3 pi??acoladas and fried shrimp!
    I think I'm gonna have to holler at some Bx12 Limited.